F1 in schools Advice

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
kingrewt

F1 in schools Advice

Hi, first post after spending a lot of time reading.

I am in a f1 in schools team and we have having some design issues, which maybe some people could help answer.

1. Wheels- should be increase radius to decrease energy required to rotate or decrease to reduce friction
2. Ball bearings are they worth the hassle over a standard axle and if so any advice on where to get them in the UK
3. With the front wing should be trying to direct air around or over the car
4. With the air cannister would you think there would be any advantage angling slightly downwards to increase down force, with a slight friction penalty?

We have most of the original designs done and working on the write ups, except the qualifying is in a fortnight and are tech teacher still hasn't got us any wind tunnel software. So hopefully yous can help

Jersey Tom

Re: F1 in schools Advice

kingrewt wrote:1. Wheels- should be increase radius to decrease energy required to rotate or decrease to reduce friction
Why would increasing radius decrease "energy required to rotate" ?And why would decreasing radius reduce friction?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

tok-tokkie

Bearings in UK . http://www.smbbearings.com
Re bearings or plain bushes: read this: http://bocabearings.com/dropin.aspx?f=B ... Clocks.txt

flynfrog

kingrewt wrote:Hi, first post after spending a lot of time reading.

I am in a f1 in schools team and we have having some design issues, which maybe some people could help answer.

1. Wheels- should be increase radius to decrease energy required to rotate or decrease to reduce friction
2. Ball bearings are they worth the hassle over a standard axle and if so any advice on where to get them in the UK
3. With the front wing should be trying to direct air around or over the car
4. With the air cannister would you think there would be any advantage angling slightly downwards to increase down force, with a slight friction penalty?

We have most of the original designs done and working on the write ups, except the qualifying is in a fortnight and are tech teacher still hasn't got us any wind tunnel software. So hopefully yous can help

1. I am sure there is a balance point between mass and rolling resistance do some testing to find it.
2. This seems easy enough to test. Try hobby shops that sell rc cars
3. Don't think of it as trying to direct air try to think of it as slipping your car through the air with the least amount of disruption in the air.
4. What do you hope to gain with DF?

Greg Locock

There's a tradoeff with wheel diameter. Larg wheels rotate more slowly for a given roadspeed, so they lose less energy in the ball bearings. They also ride more smoothly over bumps, although tha may be hard to quantify. Those are the main reasons why the wheels on a pushbike tend to be large diameter.

Offset against that is the aerodynamic penalty.

All car design consists of compromises, studying these interactions is what makes it interesting.

Cam

kingrewt wrote:We have most of the original designs done and working on the write ups, except the qualifying is in a fortnight and are tech teacher still hasn't got us any wind tunnel software. So hopefully yous can help
Awesome. I hope you go well.

Perhaps you could put up some images of car so we can see it and maybe some of the philosophies why you've taken the design direction you're implementing. I'm sure most of the readers here would appreciate that and it could just spark some additional ideas from them (people are very visual creatures).
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.