Schumacher pushed out from Ferrari in 2006

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gaara

Schumacher pushed out from Ferrari in 2006

Hi everyone.

Our commentator said yesterday Ferrari didn't want Schumacher to continue for 2007 so they pushed him into retirement. Is that true? any reliable source or something?

Thank you 8)

snoop1050

Re: Schumacher pushed out from Ferrari in 2006

just the guys opinion noone knows anything to be the truth.

Intego

Who is "our" commentator?
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

munudeges

It's pretty well known amongst the paddock that Schumacher didn't actually want to retire, but Ferrari were naturally looking to the future at that point. He was told point blank that Raikkonen was coming in 2005 and he wouldn't get preferential treatment over him as a result. Schumacher chose to retire rather than face it.

N12ck

munudeges wrote:It's pretty well known amongst the paddock that Schumacher didn't actually want to retire, but Ferrari were naturally looking to the future at that point. He was told point blank that Raikkonen was coming in 2005 and he wouldn't get preferential treatment over him as a result. Schumacher chose to retire rather than face it.
I thought raikkonen arrived in 2007?
Budding F1 Engineer

Joie de vivre

Yes, he was fired.

mep

Bullsh!t, this is all just speculation.
Nobody knows it for sure and it’s pointless to continue this discussion.

WhiteBlue

It was a bit more complex. Montezemolo had made a pre contractual agreement with Raikkönen against Todt's and Schumacher's wishes. Todt was determined not to employ Kimi. Todt and Schumacher were in a power fight within Ferrari against Monte. Montezemolo won and the dream team was forced out at Ferrari. Schumacher by the way remained with Ferrari as a consultant until it became clear that Todt could not recover the situation. The situation would probably have been amicably resolved if the Todt/Monte conflict had not occurred. When the same happened in Mercedes the retirement was decided without much fuss.

Edited for a mistake involving Alonso in the story.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 24 Nov 2012, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pup
Pup

I think you're mixing the Alonso story up with the Kimi one. It was Alonso that Todt could have signed instead of Kimi, but didn't, because of his earlier betrayal...

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... tid=147390
Jean Todt has revealed he did not attempt to sign Fernando Alonso during his time as Ferrari boss due to an earlier betrayal.

The Frenchman, who is now the FIA president, reigned over Ferrari from the 90s until 2008.

At the end of 2006, he chose Kimi Raikkonen as the retiring 'number 1' Michael Schumacher's replacement, even though Spaniard Alonso - now Ferrari's long term hope - was also on the market.

Alonso was only subsequently brought to Ferrari by Todt's successor Stefano Domenicali, and Todt has now told Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport exactly why.

He recalls 2000, the year before Alonso - then an impressive fresh-faced F3000 driver - made his F1 debut with Minardi.

"We (Ferrari) reached an agreement in principle with Fernando, but then (Flavio) Briatore signed him," said Todt.

"It was after his victory in F3000 in Spa when we got in contact with his manager, who came to my home in Maranello, and we agreed.

"It (Alonso signing with Briatore) was something I took badly and after that there was no more contact."

The rest - Alonso's two titles with Renault, his ill-fated switch to McLaren and finally his debut as a Ferrari driver in 2010 - is history.

Alonso's manager in 2000, Adrian Campos, confirms: "Ferrari told us to wait and not to sign with anyone else, but Briatore walked through the door with a contract under his arm."

WhiteBlue

Pup wrote:I think you're mixing the Alonso story up with the Kimi one. It was Alonso that Todt could have signed instead of Kimi, but didn't, because of his earlier betrayal...
Yep, sorry got mixed up
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

munudeges

Yes, it was Alonso Todt refused to work with and not Raikkonen. Todt was also more comfortable with Finnish drivers having dealt with many rally drivers in his time. However, once Todt was gone then that paved the way for Alonso and Raikkonen was then surplus to requirements.

snoop1050

munudeges wrote:It's pretty well known amongst the paddock.
I love it when people come out with that one, it always makes me laugh

"its well known amongst the paddock that alonso and lewis are gay lovers"

somehow adding that line makes anything credible and hard to disprove

Lurk

Given Lewis earring and Fernando new GF, that's not surprising... :arrow:

About Schumacher first retiring, the most common explanation I read was Ferrari signed Kimi and Schumacher was supposed to stay instead of Massa. But given his long career and the fact that Massa may have not find a seat, he left his place to his friend Felipe.
Can't tell if it is the truth or not, but it is an explanation that satisfied me. It gives a nice "human" aspect to Schumacher.

snoop1050

schumacher was probably burnt out just like mika hakkinen was some years earlier.

sknguy

I think that's why Massa is extremely greatful to Schumacher, and even said that he Schumacher retired so that he could stay.
WhiteBlue wrote:...Schumacher by the way remained with Ferrari as a consultant until it became clear that Todt could not recover the situation...
I had always thought that Schumacher remained simply because of his alligence to Todt, and Todt's alligence to him. But I see he and Todt were simply trying to work out an arrangement for him to stay. That was all really strange times at Ferrari with Brawn leaving the year earlier. Along with MS and Todt he was so much a part of that Ferrari "dream team" too.