F1 Drivers section

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

Yay or nay?

Yay
40%
Nay
60%

Total votes: 10

raymondu999

F1 Drivers section

Of late there has been a trend for driver-based threads. We are F1technical and, in principle, unsuited for these discussions.

I've raised this as a possibility before - could we have a Formula 1 Drivers section? That way we could keep the general chat sections, etc free of the usual "is driver x underrated?" Or "driver x vs driver y" threads.

I don't like to see this threads as IMO it shouldn't be a part of a tech forum. However as humans, we tend to romanticise the personalities, and not the cars. Inevitably, some (if not most) of these end up in fanboy squabbling.

Putting up a Formula One Drivers section could probably help to channel & contain the "fanboy ying yang" to a completely avoidable section.

I'd like to hear what people think. Thanks!
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hollus

Re: F1 Drivers section

Not sure what to think about this. To many constrains end up being, well, constraining. Conversation is better if it is allowed some freedom, but then it suffers when that freedom is abused.
A drivers section looks like a good idea, to tidy up a bit, but if fear it will just feed people that prefer to talk drivers over other more inorganic things, and that then the same people will post there and everywhere else. I am not sure ying-yang fanboys care much about in what sub-forum or thread they post in, they just post...
Rivals, not enemies.

marcush.

We got a offtopic section already.... :wtf: :wtf:
this is F1 technical not f1 drivers per se .But thinkin twice there is something like setup and development where the driver is aa valaauable tool or input as well as racecraft does have a very substantial input to finishing position....and all this is not untechnical to me.It is a major part of race engineering so the driver belongs absolutely into f1technical.
I remember well when testing on the Nordschleife some folk came around and ask how quick the car was around the Nordschleife ...and I just shrugged and answered :depends on the driver really . :roll:

strad

It would just turn into Fan Boy crap and have to be locked. :evil:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Richard

strad wrote:It would just turn into Fan Boy crap and have to be locked. :evil:
This

bhall

The entire forum has turned into a drivers section. At least that's the impression left by the rampant fanboyism the last couple of days.

Dragonfly

strad wrote:It would just turn into Fan Boy crap and have to be locked. :evil:
^This
I am a bit egoistic here, I want the forum to stay as much as possible close to what it was when I joined. Mainly technical.
I know, times and generations change, pure technical interest is diminishing and football type fans are invading every forum I use to visit. But still hope this one to be more guarded against cheap endless bickering.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

raymondu999

I agree with all your points - except that that's exactly my point. It would confine the drivers talk to just one section of the forum - and leave the rest of it as good old F1Technical.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法