Schuey to McLaren?!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scuderia_Russ

Schuey to McLaren?!

"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

RH1300S
RH1300S

Pretty interesting rumour, I suppose the obvious "problem" is whether either of the current contracted McLaren drivers would want to be a number two - or even would Ron Dennis allow a "one" & "two" driver setup in his team :D

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I suspect this is a political ploy on Schumacher's part to pressure Ferrari and Bridgestone to deliver a competitive package.
This isn't the first time that a press leak was designed to gain results in a direction different than the original message. I also ask the blunt question, would Ron Dennis even want Schumacher? Yea, he's the best driver money can buy. But would he be worth the extra money, and baggage? McLaren already have two good drivers, in Montoya and Kimi. They also have two very good test drivers, each of whom could easily step in and fill a vacant seat on a moment's notice. So unless I'm off the mark, McLaren have their drivers sorted out, and aren't in need of another pilot. They have the best car presently, and with the new rules in '06, no one can oredict anything. Just that new rules changes always seem to bring big changes in the Formula One food chain..
What would Shu bring to Mclaren? Of course, the prestige of his long list of accomplishments. A German in a car with a German engine. An unmatched skill in bringing the team together and working towards the one goal of winning. But only for himself... as history shows. Personally, I think that unless both Shu and McLaren are willing to make a four or five year comittment to a complete rebuild in the pattern of the present Ferrari, it's a deal that will never happen.
And do you think for a second that Shu could enter Mclaren, and demand of either Kimi or Montoya that they are there just to support him? Not bloody likely, mate.
Shu has an incredible record, but there is one thing that may elude him. The opportunity to quit with dignity while on top. That ship may have sailed, never to be seen again.

Pl@yer
Pl@yer

Don't think so...

As definitely as Häkkinen will go to BMW will Schumacher go to McLaren.

Even if the drivers wanted (what I think they really don't), their former employers would put the stop on their dreams.

Häkkinen has been driving for Mercedes for the last 10 years. As he has gained a lot of success, he will be considered as a "Mercedes-Man" for the rest of his life if he just ends his career with Mercedes. Loosing him to BMW would be the worst nightmare of Mercedes' marketing people.

It is exactly the same with Schumacher and Ferrari. He and Ferrari will be always considered as the same and that's what they want at Ferrari. But it wouldn't be like that if he moved to Mercedes. (Or does somebody still remember that Schumacher has been driving for Benetton or Jordan.)

Furthermore: why, just why, would McLaren or Mercedes want him. For sure he still has the ability to drive the car perfectly. But nobody can help the fact that he is getting old. McLaren have got two good, young, and very talented drivers (although I would have been more sure about this before the Turkish GP). Schumacher was a good investment for Ferrari 10 years ago, but not anymore for Mercedes, or any other team.

RH1300S
RH1300S

The last two replies bring it nicely into focus.

On one level I can believe that Schuey might want to go to McLaren - they, after all will probably be most likely to produce the best car over the next few years.

On the other hand, there is not much that McLaren could gain - especially now that Kimi is driving so well. UNLESS, they KNOW that he is going elsewhere soon :twisted: (but why would he want to????? :shock: :wink: )

f1.redbaron

McLaren already have two good drivers, in Montoya and Kimi.
True, but Ferrari had made it clear that they are after Kimi as a replacement for Schumacher once he retires. The word "retirement" doesn't necessarily mean that he will hang up his racing boots. So, it is possible that it might come to a driver swap between the 2 teams. After all, Michael is Mercedes' baby.

Scuderia_Russ

People say that Michael is over the hill, getting old now etc. but the only reason i can see for him not racing beyond '06 is his family as the guy probably has the effective fitness level of someone in their twenties. He's still peaking in my opinion and see no reason for a seamless seat swap. Stranger things have happened!
-Henry Ford-

jaslfc
jaslfc

but it sure will be nice to see shumy battle with kimi both in the same car!! they will rip the field apart!!

West
West

I also heard that I will be driving for Ferrari as soon as he joins McLaren.

- West
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Scuderia_Russ

jaslfc wrote:but it sure will be nice to see shumy battle with kimi both in the same car!! they will rip the field apart!!
1988 all over again i reckon!
-Henry Ford-

Scuderia_Russ

West wrote:I also heard that I will be driving for Ferrari as soon as he joins McLaren.

- West
LIAR! You know i've just got off the phone to Jean. :^o
-Henry Ford-

RH1300S
RH1300S

I know one of you is telling porkies - because Jean is going to McLaren & Ron is putting his feet under Max's old desk

RH1300S
RH1300S

BTW an interesti8ng take on this rumour (from Grandprix.com) is that with the possibility of a split (even if remote) and the risk that Ferrari might be competing against Ferrari engined Red Bulls and a couple of Jordans, then it makes sense for MS to sound out his chances of a seat in the other series.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Maybe there is a small grain of truth in all this posturing before the press. I try to read between the lines.. and in a statement by Jean Todt about Massa. But it includes a lack of the previous overwhelming support for Shu. Are they drifting apart?
Asked if Felipe would 'help' Michael Schumacher win the 2006 title, he replied: "Why should he? Michael doesn't own Ferrari. Felipe will do the job for Ferrari."
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=96030

Schumacher isnt getting any younger and maybe
theres some truth too it. But wouldnt it be fun if Schumacher stole
Montoyas place at Mclaren :D

Late in the 2003 season a championship winning campaign in 2004 looked unlikely but bridgestone turned the the table on michelin during the winter and we all know how the 2004 season ended. Point is that Mclaren might not have the fastest car in 2006 even if it looks very good right now.

/ Fx