Drafting effect on racing cars

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
atul2512

Drafting effect on racing cars

Hey

I am a final year mechanical student and I took a project "Drafting effect on racing cars".I have 2 months to complete the project.I basically was inspired by this link in solid works http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/9676_ENU_HTML.htm .But I want to apply this in f1 cars
Here are the following advice I seek :

1.Using pro-e for designing and ANSYS for simulation?comments.

2.As I am not pro in designing I cant made the exact model.Some variation will be there.Still which part should I focus more(as in which part affect drafting more)?I read some research paper and concluded it to be the front wing, front and rear wheels, the mirrors, side pod, barge boards and drivers helmet.So please correct me I am wrong.

3.Since I have not considered which model should I design and I googled but could not find specifications of parts.
Can you please provide me source for specification of all model parts that are enough to design everything.

And this is what I should not ask for but its too costly for me to afford it from http://www.sae.org Do any of you has access to
Aerodynamics of Race Cars in Drafting and Passing Situations
G. F. Romberg, F. Chianese and R. G. Lajoie
SAE Paper 71-0213, February 1971
Please mail if possible : adi.mdkk2@gmail.com

Thanks for reading....
Last edited by atul2512 on 17 Jan 2013, 06:16, edited 2 times in total.

Blanchimont

Re: Drafting effect on racing cars

The technical regulations of current and future F1 cars can be found on the FIA homepage and covers the overall dimensions and restrictions on bodywork. Read through it carefully and you'll soon have a overview of what is allowed in F1 and what isn't.
http://www.fia.com/sport/regulations?f[ ... egory%3A82 (edit: the brackets destroy the link)

For the start the last pages of this document are very helpful because they visualise the articles on bodywork.
http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 1-2013.pdf

On your model, i think it should be as simple as possible (smooth surfaces, simple geometries) and it is not nessecary to model every single flap the real F1 cars have. This would take to much time and makes it harder to generate a good mesh for the cfd programm. But it should be very exact when dimensions are considered. The overall size, the tyres, the position of the wings, ground clearance, the diffusor should be according to the regulations.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

atul2512

Hey thanks for your advice.
Can you suggest me some tutorial which will help me create wind tunnel for the above situation(drafting) and to plot distance vs drag graph?
I went through tutorial of ANSYS-Fluent but it doesn't seem to help me much.
And while working in workbench what should i choose in between Fluid Flow(CFX) and Fluid flow(fluent).I am confused between two.some tutorial are using cfx while others are using fluent

Thanks

Jersey Tom

atul2512 wrote:Hey thanks for your advice.
Can you suggest me some tutorial which will help me create wind tunnel for the above situation(drafting) and to plot distance vs drag graph?
I went through tutorial of ANSYS-Fluent but it doesn't seem to help me much.
And while working in workbench what should i choose in between Fluid Flow(CFX) and Fluid flow(fluent).I am confused between two.some tutorial are using cfx while others are using fluent

Thanks
Would it not be more prudent to ask an expert at your school rather than the internet? Your adviser / instructor for example?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.