Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jackles-UK

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

I think Williams followed the same "crash inspired desired design" ethos that Sauber used with the back of the FW35! It looks like it's been rear-ended by a snowplough!

Surely the exhaust bridge is contravening the rules? The "no bodywork" cone starts at the exhaust pipe end not at the end of the coanda ramp/tube (whetever you want to call it!). I can see the whole "it's part of the coanda ramp bodywork" argument but remember this time last year the FIA were debating the legality of those, let alone ones with re-ingesting trinkets on them.

axle
axle

Sevach wrote:http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg

Using the FW34 Jerez nose and FW.
Misread your quote at first...thanks for reaffirming below.
Last edited by axle on 19 Feb 2013, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
- Axle

Sevach
Sevach

This picture is from today, they tested with the old nose as well.

You can see the Barcelona final chicane in it.

humble sabot

kinda like that they're sticking to their guns on the micro gearbox, reminds me of the Blue Mud Dauber wasp. aka Bluejacket
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

turbof1

Jackles-UK wrote:I think Williams followed the same "crash inspired desired design" ethos that Sauber used with the back of the FW35! It looks like it's been rear-ended by a snowplough!

Surely the exhaust bridge is contravening the rules? The "no bodywork" cone starts at the exhaust pipe end not at the end of the coanda ramp/tube (whetever you want to call it!). I can see the whole "it's part of the coanda ramp bodywork" argument but remember this time last year the FIA were debating the legality of those, let alone ones with re-ingesting trinkets on them.
The ramps/bulge setups could be also counted as bodywork. Agreed this is more to the limit, but if you allow one, why disallow the other?
On the other hand, Williams is playing a dangerous game. The FIA might get fed up about it and just ban all the bodywork that even slightly influences the exhaust flow, ending up that every team has to rework their exhausts.
#AeroFrodo

dougskullery
dougskullery

A tweet from Richard Williams, former Guardian/Observer chief sport journo: "Apparently there are "blown wheel-nuts" on the new Williams F1 car. The world has gone mad."

Presumably he's picked this up from another journalist/insider. Anyone have any idea what he might mean?

Huntresa
Huntresa

dougskullery wrote:A tweet from Richard Williams, former Guardian/Observer chief sport journo: "Apparently there are "blown wheel-nuts" on the new Williams F1 car. The world has gone mad."

Presumably he's picked this up from another journalist/insider. Anyone have any idea what he might mean?
Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1

@joshua_keeling you blow air from the brake duct out of the axle, it helps fill the void created by the airflow around the tyre.

aral
aral

Huntresa wrote:
dougskullery wrote:A tweet from Richard Williams, former Guardian/Observer chief sport journo: "Apparently there are "blown wheel-nuts" on the new Williams F1 car. The world has gone mad."

@joshua_keeling you blow air from the brake duct out of the axle, it helps fill the void created by the airflow around the tyre.
Oh well, Red Bull had a similar idea last year, and were prohibited from using it!

axle
axle

gilgen wrote:
Huntresa wrote:

Oh well, Red Bull had a similar idea last year, and were prohibited from using it!
Scarbs said the difference was that RB's protruded from the nut.
- Axle

FrukostScones

Sevach wrote:
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg

so the new nose is also illegal(ly high maybe/with misuse of modesty panel)? or just for comparison?
Last edited by FrukostScones on 19 Feb 2013, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

aral
aral

axle wrote:
Scarbs said the difference was that RB's protruded from the nut.
How can holes' protrude' from a nut?

If I remember correctly, the reason that the RBR solution was banned, was because it had an aero effect. So what is different with the Williams copy?

MIKEY_!

the flap above the exhaust channel looks a lot like something i posted in march of last year :lol: that flap could be a lot bigger couldnt it? maybe even extending to the floor?

Sevach
Sevach

FrukostScones wrote:
Sevach wrote:
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg

so the new nose is also illegal(ly high maybe/with misuse of modesty panel)? or just for comparison?
I think it's just evaluation, they haven't changed the exhausts (or the wheel nuts) despite everyone yelling about it.

I have to say, Mike Coughlan is going for every "interpretation" trick in the book with this car :mrgreen:

@axle no problem 8)

Sevach
Sevach

MIKEY_! wrote:the flap above the exhaust channel looks a lot like something i posted in march of last year :lol: that flap could be a lot bigger couldnt it? maybe even extending to the floor?
Are they trying to get it banned?

Sevach
Sevach

Maldonado's first impressions

"There is an improvement, a big one," Maldonado told reporters in the paddock at the end of the day. "It's a step forward."

"We have good data here from last year so I confirmed a step in performance. The car seems to be very comfortable on the track."

"I'm very happy because it's the best car I have [driven], especially in the first test."

"Last year's car was good, competitive all through the year, but I think there is a clear step forward on this car."