Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
horse

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

F1T wrote:While Valtteri Bottas was also trying some 2014 parts, the team and Pastor found such improvements in the package without Coanda exhaust that the team decided to fit both cars with this package for the remainder of the weekend.
Well, the cars race pace was pretty poor, so I do wonder if, as always, fuel loads may have been responsible for the cars relative performance to the other teams in free practice.

I think there was some feeling that having the advanced exhaust layout was some sort of disadvantage, but I would argue that, in William's case, they simply can't turn it to their advantage, particularly like Sauber have been able to.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

turbof1

Williams did developed (but never produced) a significant altered coanda set up. Maybe that one would have extracted the envisioned performance. We'll never know; the necessary parts were never produced because too expensive and next year none of it will be carried over.

Williams never got the hang of it concerning coanda.
#AeroFrodo

theWPTformula

As turbof1 states, Williams were never on top of the Coanda exhausts. After introducing their full-Coanda, ramped exhaust layout at final preseason testing the car became too peaky and undriveable. This suggests to me that the exhaust gases were detaching at various torque levels or something like that.

It's such a shame because Renault have clearly done something right on the Red Bull and Lotus but haven't helped Williams out much at all. Whatever the problems were I still can't believe that they found a performance benefit from aero-neutral exhaust exits. Maldonado was saying the exhausts generally perform at their worst at low speed (ie every corner of the Yas Marina circuit) so they could reintroduce the semi-Coanda exhausts again in Austin.

Seamus
Seamus

theWPTformula wrote:It's such a shame because Renault have clearly done something right on the Red Bull and Lotus but haven't helped Williams out much at all.
Sad but true.. : (

aral
aral

theWPTformula wrote: Renault have clearly done something right on the Red Bull and Lotus but haven't helped Williams out much at all.
Renault have no input into the design of the car, or what shape exhaust to make. So to say that they have helped Lotus and RBR and failed to help Williams, is not very accurate. Renault provide the engine, the teams decide what to do with it.

theWPTformula

gilgen wrote:
theWPTformula wrote: Renault have clearly done something right on the Red Bull and Lotus but haven't helped Williams out much at all.
Renault have no input into the design of the car, or what shape exhaust to make. So to say that they have helped Lotus and RBR and failed to help Williams, is not very accurate. Renault provide the engine, the teams decide what to do with it.
Actually they have quite an input into the design of the exhausts and also how to extract maximum performance from the package. The engine maps are very well regulated but Renault will be developing them with the team's respective engineers to produce the best downforce from the exhausts.

Engine torque mapping is very limitied (+/- 2%) for each race but driver torque mapping and increased exhaust development can be very beneficial. The driver torque map is essentially a requested amount of torque from the driver when his foot is at a certain position on the accelerator pedal. Renault will help the driver to extract the best performance from the engine and much of the work is done in traction zones. This is all to do with driveability.

As quoted by Renault engineer Rob White last year:
"Torque maps may also change as a consequence of changes to exhausts or air inlet (if teams introduce a new exhaust design or new air box)."

So Renault will work with the engine and exhaust departments to produce better performance from this area.

henra
henra

theWPTformula wrote: Actually they have quite an input into the design of the exhausts and also how to extract maximum performance from the package.
While this is certainly true it might still be that the problems were related to the general airflow around the car. In other words no matter what the map was the air around the car could have been blowing the exhaust gases out of direction at certain Speeds. This whole exhaust blowing is a complex topic even if you are on top of the engine maps. See RB's struggle at the beginning of last year. It took even Newey a number of races until he really got a grip on this.
I'm afraid it is asking (too) much of the engine supplier to deal with these tricky aero Problems.

Looking at the single lap pace, I would say even Lotus is not quite there, yet, even though they seem not to be too far off.

theWPTformula

henra wrote:
theWPTformula wrote: Actually they have quite an input into the design of the exhausts and also how to extract maximum performance from the package.
While this is certainly true it might still be that the problems were related to the general airflow around the car. In other words no matter what the map was the air around the car could have been blowing the exhaust gases out of direction at certain Speeds. This whole exhaust blowing is a complex topic even if you are on top of the engine maps. See RB's struggle at the beginning of last year. It took even Newey a number of races until he really got a grip on this.
I'm afraid it is asking (too) much of the engine supplier to deal with these tricky aero Problems.

Looking at the single lap pace, I would say even Lotus is not quite there, yet, even though they seem not to be too far off.
Completely agree with you here as poor sidepod airflow can offset the exhaust plume before it even reaches the floor. However once this has been optimised I believe that Renault play a fairly influential part in getting more performance from the exhaust layout.

turbof1

Renault not so willing to aid williams might also have something to do with the switch to mercedes next year. Although different engine and different exhaust design, renault probably be handling on a basis-only service, to keep alot of data away.

Adding to that, williams still drove cosworth engines back in 2011. Although exhaust and mapping designs were far less restricted then in 2012, alot of the data gathered that year was applicable in 2012. If I am correct, Cosworth never got around to properly support teams with EBD's.

So yeah: a minimal of data to start with and not really receiving what you need. Very harsh terms.

Note that 2011 was another disaster year for the team. It's indicating that 2 years dominated by aero-use of the exhaust are very badly handled by the team.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

roadie

Does anyone actually have any decent pictures of the new exhaust on the car? I can't find any...

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

drunkmunky
drunkmunky

so the anti-lift suspension geometry intended to establish a stabilized aero performance is fighting against the exhaust blown diffuser....

Williams F1 @ war with itself....

emmepi27
emmepi27

uhm...and this??? :wtf: Optical illusion or...?!

raymondu999

That's what I like to call a "reflection"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法