What F1 car to use as base for a formula atlantic type race?

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Carbon Dev Racing

What F1 car to use as base for a formula atlantic type race?

Good morning Gentlemen,

I am working on a project car (to be used as a single seater racing car).
I need some assistance on this though as my autocad skills arent sufficient enough to enable me to build a 3d body rendering. My idea is thus to get a 3D scan of an F1 car then using CAD build the tubular chassis (as the rules do not allow for the use of carbon chassis').

My question is what car should I use as a base for the bodywork? For me its a tose up between the RB6, RB7 or the Brawn GP car? The next question is where could I get either a 3D model or a 1:12 model.

Regards,

Richard

Re: What F1 car to use as base for a formula atlantic type r

There are a few few people on here with CAD models of various cars. Hopefully someone will pass on a copy of their file.

Actually, that might help quite a few people. It'd be cool if we could share models to help others gets started

silente

That sounds very interesting!

i have some CAD Skills, but not 3D F1 models.

I have seen some of them around on the web, but they didn´t seem very accurate.
If the regulations allow Aerodynamics to be important, then you should be careful with your body and wings, since they could have a huge impact on performance.

Anyway, could be helpful to you if you could share your progress here. Maybe some people from the forum would be willing to help somehow, even in the design process (with CAD, simulations or only with advices). Maybe also a link to the regulations could help on this side.

Anyway i wish you the best of luck!

Tim.Wright

This guy got a scale model laser scanned. I think this would be the best bet if you want to replicate an existing car.

http://www.build-threads.com/build-thre ... 8-replica/

Otherwise there are loads of guys around who are modelling F1 cars now. Only problem is they are mostly post 2009 cars which are pretty damn ugly
Not the engineer at Force India

Carbon Dev Racing

Hi Gentlemen,

Thanks for the responses thus far - The class has no other restrictions other than not being allowed to be composite.
Engine is free as is areo however we arent allowed to close off the floor or use a floor suckers.

RicME85

There are plenty of CAD models online, problem is the better ones cost and start around $150.
Could use a car from one of the Codemasters games, will take a bit of work as when imported into Sketchup the cars are tiny, around the size of the person used for scale's foot.

flynfrog

if there are no rules why would you choose an F1 car. There are much more efficient ways to make speed then trying to meet the F1 rulebook.

Carbon Dev Racing

Point of personal preference,

Plus think it would be totally rad to make an F1 Rep (keen on the 2009/2010) style.

thisisatest

just because you cant have a carbon chassis doesnt mean you have to revert back to a tubular spaceframe. what about a folded aluminum sheet, riveted and bonded, etc? aluminum honeycomb as well.,. you could possibly follow the same general lines as the f1 car base then.

Jersey Tom

Well if you're willing to throw performance out the window (to Tim's point) by going with an open wheel (and specifically F1-esque) design... then why ask us what F1 car to use as a base? Go with whatever you want as far as aesthetics and model availability.

I do like the idea of going tube spaceframe though - not to mention it may be required by rules of whatever the series is. Easy to design and fabricate and have crash-worthy.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Carbon Dev Racing

Hi guys,

The rules only allow for tube frames (gay but that the rules). The rules also dictate that all wheels must be exposed and that we are not allowed to add aerodynamic aids to the wheels.

I guess my real question here is does anyone have a 3D model of either the RB7/6 or the brawn 2009 car?

thanks gents.

Carbon Dev Racing

Thanks RicMe85 - You're a legend thanks a mill

remydio

Amazing model of the RB7, thanks for sharing it.