Help with Khasmin

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
kosioBG

Help with Khasmin

EDIT:
IMPORTANT: go to page 3 for a dummy guide to Khamsin, written by me after all the pain i went through to install it, so you don't have to undergo it!

Hi there,

i am interested in carrying out CFD tests with Khasmin, which is a plugin for sketchup. I installed it and made my model, but don't know how to proceed. If anyone of you has experience with this software, please share it here, while having in mind that i'm a beginner. Thanks
Last edited by kosioBG on 22 Mar 2013, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Kiril Varbanov

Re: Help with Khasmin

I have given it a short spin, but haven't had the time to analyze it fully, despite the fact that I have full 2010-spec F1 model.
What are the issues you have encountered? I see there's quite comprehensive documentation available.

kosioBG

well, i haven't had any specific problems, i just have no idea how to start. I know that there is a guide included but it's just a bit too complicated for such a novice like me. i also saw a video of the programme's usage, again without much success :?
basicly i don't know how to load the model for analysis, as there's an array of setting menus available for configuration and no button which says "analyse" :D even if that sounds stupid

Kiril Varbanov

Understood, same for me - such stuff require time, so I've put it in the queue. Did the same with the latest simulator programs I've been working with - they just take time, though I had the lavish opportunity to use the "Simulate" button :)
Well, I will update the thread once I get back to this - in the meantime I will also be happy to hear additional input.

astracrazy

if you look at the last two pages on the Khamsin challenge thread there are some instructions on there, page or two back there are links to the pre made tunnels aswell

RicME85

Follow the posts I have made that have comments from the creator of Khamsin, Julien.

Btw, there is a button for 'Analyze'.
The Khamsin menu requires you to hit the toolbar button then right click on the page and it will bring up a menu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwArEBv1 ... e=youtu.be is a good video

kosioBG

So, I downloaded the pre-made wind tunnel, put my model inside, followed the instructions and when i pressed analyze -> go, it told me that i need to install swak4foam. do i really need that and if yes, how can i?

RicME85

#-o

Have you not read the instructions?
You need to untick it, unless you buy the blueCFD software your not going to have the plugin.

kosioBG

i know that explaining to me takes longer and could be like talking to an idiot at times :lol: but where do i untick it? #-o

RicME85

Right Click -> Define -> Physical Settings and Special Features

kosioBG

RicME85 wrote:Right Click -> Define -> Physical Settings and Special Features
thanks mate

kosioBG

next problem- i unticked swak4foam, but there appears to be no local analysis(in the analyze menu there are two options- clear and go(remote). how can i get local analysis? should i install something in addition? :?: #-o

RicME85

you dont have it set up correctly.

Plugins-> Khamsin -> Configure

Step 1 - Settings - Tick boxes 1 and 2, untick boxes 3 and 4
Step 2 - Local Solvers and Tools - Make sure everything is installed and the directories located
Step 3 - Solver Preferences - simpleFOAM
Step 4 - Amazon AWS - Nothing to do as you unticked the box in step 1

andylaurence

I've also been stuck with Khamsin. It can't find OpenMPI or GroovyBC. I've downloaded OpenMPI separately, thumbed through batchrc.bat and put it in all the right places, but Khamsin still doesn't see it.

RicME85

Again I think that is a case of buying blueCFD or compiling your own version through Linux, just downloading bits and throwing them together wont work.