LB02 - Astracrazy - KVRC

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
astracrazy

LB02 - Astracrazy - KVRC

Hi Guys

So hears the launch spec, expecting some changes before the first race though, this is more a base line for running some tests on khamsin

Launch Spec

Few notes:
No exhaust yet - not 100% where i'm going to put them yet
Basic front wing - only started it yesterday.
Winglets infront of sidepods - my sidepods start quiet far back (on the edge of the area where the side impact structure must be) so i need somewhere for it to go. I plan on developing it further so this is a starting point

Last edited by astracrazy on 11 Apr 2013, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

CottrellGP

Re: LB02 - Astracrazy - KVRC

The Khamsin cars are all looking good!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

variante

Looks good indeed, but i have a delicate question for you : are the downforce/drag figures you recently published referred to this car at 100mph?

astracrazy

the figures i posted were at 100mph at 3deg yaw but they werent for the whole car

MIKEY_!

looks like an excellent baseline, no fiddly bits or fancy tricks, just good old fashioned aero ;)

astracrazy

thanks for the positive comments guys

N12ck

Excellent work, suspension fits as expected, fantastic
Budding F1 Engineer

astracrazy

can anyone explain to me why the air would be going around in a circle on the floor right where the sidepod ends? its only small but it seems to be stuck doing a 360. any ideas for solving this issue?

variante

astracrazy wrote:can anyone explain to me why the air would be going around in a circle on the floor right where the sidepod ends? its only small but it seems to be stuck doing a 360. any ideas for solving this issue?
ok, i'll try to give my interpretation, but it's hard without images

If that vortex is only a "donut" limited to the floor's surface, well it may be caused by an excess of friction with the floor itself (if that was simulated) or by some "traumatic" transition around that area... basically the air circulates too slowly. Not a big issue.

Otherwise we're talking about a vortex starting on the floor and going with a vertical axis up to all the height of the sidepod. It would indicate the stall of your sidepods and, again, low longitudinal airspeed. Looking at your sidepods i would solve it increasing the downwash.

Also: is that the cooling outlet at the end of your sidepods? Did you simulate air going out of it?

astracrazy

thanks for your response

its located on the floor, i'm going to try and increase the airspeed around the bottom of the sidepods, add a turning vane and look at the bardgeboards. the air mid height and over the sidepods does as expected, floor height does a 360 slightly where the sidepod ends and joins the body if you like

no, the cooling area is usual location monkey seat height. not simulated as its not simulated for KVRC

astracrazy

Race 1 - Magny Cours

Below is the car submitted for the first race. Only minor changes, i ran out of time testing (nothing just gets added, it has to show an improvement) a lot of updates so Race 2 will look like a b-spec car

Updates:
Front Wing
Exhaust Placements

astracrazy

Race 2 - Monza

So here is the car which has been submitted for the Monza race. Expecting an improved finishing position based on the results i've had. Was hoping for more updates but not all were successful.

Updates:
Revised rear sidepods
New Floor
Monza spec rear wing
Removed bargeboards - poor design was actually having a negative effect on airflow around the sidepods