2013 Bahrain GP - Sakhir

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mika1
Mika1

Re: 2013 Bahrain GP - Sakhir

Good news for Mercedes!
The boss follows me on twitter.

diemaster
diemaster

not only mercedes.

Good news for rbr,ferrari and mercedes. Bad news for lotus.

SilverArrow10

The tire change could make the race very interesting. It was Lotus's to lose imo. Might be closer now between the top four teams
Last edited by SilverArrow10 on 15 Apr 2013, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

SilverArrow10

Im expecting the same drivers on the podium from Australia for Bahrain, might not be in that order though.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

SamH123
SamH123

diemaster wrote:not only mercedes.

Good news for rbr,ferrari and mercedes. Bad news for lotus.
I would say a slight negative for Ferrari as well because it seemed like they enjoyed the biggest jump on 1 lap pace between the tyre compounds in China

beelsebob
beelsebob

gray41 wrote:Changed to Medium and Hard.
I'm actually seriously disappointed. While Qually was a bit dull, the tyre choice in china made for an excellent race, and frankly, I'd rather an exciting race than an exciting Qually.

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:
I'm actually seriously disappointed. While Qually was a bit dull, the tyre choice in china made for an excellent race, and frankly, I'd rather an exciting race than an exciting Qually.
I sympathise for your loss mate. Personally I rather enjoy the prospect of the races being done on Everlast rubber.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
I sympathise for your loss mate. Personally I rather enjoy the prospect of the races being done on Everlast rubber.
It's kinda ironic, I see this being great for Hamilton (who I'm sure you noticed I rather like), but I'd still rather see an race in which a driver chases down 15 seconds in 5 laps due to a different strategy, and in which we still don't know who's going to beat who as they drive through the final corner.

raymondu999

I understand why you have your preference. Really, I do. It's just that I personally do not share your sentiments.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Guisson

My bets are on Red Bull ( I could be wrong) with Lotus and Mercedes not far away !
The Bulls seemed to cope well with tyre wear in high temperatures ( based on Malaysia ..)
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

Nomore
Nomore

@raymondu999

The point is that Malaysia was not a normal race weekend.

We cannot extract useful data from a non normal race weekend. Q3 was in wet conditions, the start of the race was in wet condition, The main favorite to win the gp was out at the start of the second lap (in that moment second with a broken FW), the other favorite was qualified 7th ( due to rain ) and stacked in traffic.

If the weekend was completely dry would RB had won ?

We dont know the exact answer, but what i have seen till know and my knowledges says no, probably Rosberg would had got Pole and Alonso(or Raikkonen ) would had won the race in dry conditions.

To says a car is good in this type of conditions or in this types of circuits first we have to build a database with some races (at least 8-9 normal races) and then we can make conclusions(for the second part of the championship is more appropriate to obtain this database)...The temp in Bahrain maybe different from China (which was hotter than predicted) but the results may be the same.
As for the layout it's not too different from Shanghai, they have certain similarities...and even the differences can suite very well Ferrari, like can suite other cars too.
In conclusion - Alonso on tyres 8 laps younger, was an *entire* 0.014s faster. Considering the tyre ages, I'd have to say they *weren't* the fastest in Melbourne.
That is the wrong way to compare the speed of two cars in different strategies. Firstly Alonso did only 10 laps in his first medium stint to jump Vettel, while for Raikkonen all fall in place since Vettel block the Ferraris for 20 laps and Raikkonen was in touch with them when he should had a 10-15 sec gap to them. In pure speed Ferrari was faster but Raikkonen / Lotus was a little bit better than Alonso / Ferrari in tyre management not too much but a little bit better...and the race fall all in favor to Raikkonen which deserved to win but Ferrari was the fastest car admitted also by Ross Brawn.
There isn't any type of data or any type of logical connection to suggest Ferrari will win Bahrain in normal conditions
In my opinion this quote is partially wrong, i would have said :

There isn't any type of logical connection but there are some data to suggest that Ferrari and Lotus are favorites to win the Bahrain GP in normal conditions.

The "Data" are the performance of teams in all normal sessions. The normal sessions we had so far are the Race in Australia and the weekend (quali and race) in Shanghai. The FP are not much of help but can be added also, and unfortunately in Malaysia we didn't have a normal weekend. The only Database that we can build for now is the weekend in China and race in Australia, and also the wet sessions (Quali Australia, Q3-Start race in Malaysia)
Based on this Database, Ferrari ( followed by Lotus ) is the favorite for Bahrain in my opinion, this doesn't mean they will win, Mercedes could win, RB could win,Mclaren...but the favorite i think is Ferrari for now.
Interestingly - those two teams have generally performed better in the two cold races this year (rather than the hot race)
Sorry to repeat but we don't have yet useful data for hot tracks, sunday afternoon we will know more and we can made some conclusions.
Nomore wrote:With what we saw in China, Ferrari is the favorite to win the race.
In china it was simple, Ferrari was the fastest car.

Agreed. Though it is of course "China" and not "china."
As above mentioned i wrote "China" for "China" and in the second quote "china" for "China" so this means that it was an error and not something did on purpose(in case you have taken like this). The fact that it was a grammatical error (and not something against country or whatever) there was no need to remind me of that...
Here im in a F1 site and not in a well performed or grammatical site, i see also other users that makes spelling or grammatical errors but there isn't something to criticise, since as far as i understand them it's fine for me.
Anyway thanks for the advice,...but you may also see "bahrain" instead of "Bahrain" since when i try to comment on a F1 site i may also make some grammatical errors, if i want to test my well written english or if i respect the uppercase i go somewhere else.

raymondu999

Nomore wrote:We dont know the exact answer, but what i have seen till know and my knowledges says no, probably Rosberg would had got Pole and Alonso(or Raikkonen ) would had won the race in dry conditions.
Based on what, exactly? No offense - but I doubt your "knowledge" would have said Pastor Maldonado to be the winner of the Spanish Grand Prix either. What we do know is that the RBR completed the dry portion of the Malaysian GP the quickest.
To says a car is good in this type of conditions or in this types of circuits first we have to build a database with some races (at least 8-9 normal races) and then we can make conclusions
Agreed.
The temp in Bahrain maybe different from China (which was hotter than predicted) but the results may be the same.
No disrespect intended, but d'oh.
As for the layout it's not too different from Shanghai, they have certain similarities...
they do. Unfortunately the similarities do not form the key laptime corners. Traction is not a key performance differentiator in China. Nor is braking. It is in Bahrain. High speed cornering, stability under extreme trail braking, are key characteristics in China, but not in Bahrain,
and even the differences can suite very well Ferrari, like can suite other cars too.
Of course.
That is the wrong way to compare the speed of two cars in different strategies. Firstly Alonso did only 10 laps in his first medium stint to jump Vettel, while for Raikkonen all fall in place since Vettel block the Ferraris for 20 laps and Raikkonen was in touch with them when he should had a 10-15 sec gap to them.
irrelevant. Your assertion was that Ferrari was faster - not that Ferrari should have won. Very different. Nor do I believe the Ferrari was quick enough to produce such a gap - and not that the gap would have been enough to cover the 12s gap to Raikkonen, plus the overtake.
In pure speed Ferrari was faster
Demonstrated by Lotus banging faster laptimes on a strategy that should have produced slower laptimes?
The normal sessions we had so far are the Race in Australia and the weekend (quali and race) in Shanghai.
"Dry" does not equate to "normal," nor "relatable." Very different track surface (you could go to ChinaMelbourne and Bahrain, and the track surface even *feels* different to the human skin. Melbourne and China are very smooth - and Malaysia horridly abrasive. You could cut yourself just dragging a finger across the tarmac. Bhrain is somewhere in between.
The only Database that we can build for now is the weekend in China and race in Australia
For the dry? Hell agreed.
Based on this Database, Ferrari ( followed by Lotus ) is the favorite for Bahrain in my opinion
Based on the data we have now - I don't think we can call anyone a favorite for Bahrain.
we don't have yet useful data for hot tracks
Why not? If you've ever been to Malaysia - it's hot even when it rains. Almost comparable to summer in places like Milan.

I'm sorry mate - but a lot of your post sounds to me like wishful thinking rather than a truly scientific observation/extrapolation.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

iotar__

Shrieker wrote:
gray41 wrote: Changed to Medium and Hard.
That means people can almost go balls to the wall which is most definitely better news than watching people drive to a target lap time...
It means no such thing, approach will be exactly they same when it comes to pacing of lap times (principle of keeping tyres within optimal operating range, exactly the same one that started in 2011). Only some teams will not suffer as much. And yes they push 100%.

It makes tyres whining so hypocritical, it has nothing to to with pureness but everything with competitive advantage. It was never about changing tyres but always about changing approach of paring tyres to more conservative. Guess why hypocritical? Because tyres = the same. Only now it won't be a problem, like last season, history repeats itself.

It's mind boggling that people are buying this BS but then again some didn't cringe when Vettel was reading from the script written by marketoid tools to spin 180 degrees Malaysia from fake "I apologise" into equally fake "I regret nothing I always want to win" and RB's "we hate and are ditching team orders" nonsense. Quickly followed by Horner's "Of course. It depends what you define as a team order, at the end of the day. " :lol: How about Red Bull are pure hypocrites, lying weasels. Depending on a definition of pure hypocrites, lying weasels of course.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: 2012 Bahrain GP - Sakhir

raymondu999 wrote:For most intents and purposes, it's pretty much stop start. The fast corners are pretty much flat-out bits.

I expect the Red Bull to be more at home in the heat. As we saw - Red Bull were more competitive in hot Malaysia than in cold China/Melbourne. The slow corners should also see their exhaust effect more pronounced. Ferrari IMO are a bit of an enigma in the hot and we'll have to see how they fare. We've only ever seen Alonso lapping in the cold, thanks to his Malaysian retirement. Bahrain is quite a smooth circuit - which could help the McLaren in terms of helping them lock down their aero to its most benign position via stiff suspension.

I'm guessing blind on the option tyre as we haven't seen the soft in hot conditions - but I think it will be OOPP or OPPP for the win.
I too expect RB to be quite strong, Lotus too. I think the two unknown's will be how Mercedes & Ferrari get on with the tyres. If they don't do so well I think it'll be a RB/Lotus show and it may be that anyway.

Darknight
Darknight

Trucks carrying Ferrari containers just passed by on the highway :)