Honda's mysterious team

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jaslfc
jaslfc

Honda's mysterious team

i just read about it and im kinda puzzled..
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34234

could it be irvine's team?

RH1300S
RH1300S

I hadn't thought of Irvine (you never know) - Sato seems to think he will have a drive, this suggests Japanese backing. There is speculation that DOME (again Japanese) may be involved, they have moved towards F1 before and have said that they still want to compete at this level.

I'm not completely sure of my facts, but I believe that the DOME wind tunnel in Japan is identical to the BAR tunnel at Brackley AND is used by Honda. Seems very convenient............ :wink:

EDIT: This is info I have gleaned off the internet today - NOT huge inspiration of my own!

Principessa

Speculations all around but what to believe?

RH1300S
RH1300S

Well Jordan have recently gone public to say that they are NOT FOR SALE - which usually means.............. :lol:

manchild
manchild

Mysterious new team is Coca Cola (I'm not joking). They are just not sure whether to enter as sponsor or "team". For sure if Red Bull wasn't there they wouldn't be interested.

It's kinda like the Dubai F1 team. Where the f*ck is it?

West

jaslfc
jaslfc

im all for a new team. probly make the tail-enders battle more interesting but do u think so late in the year a team can come up from scratch!! hmm manchild.. i do hope coke comes in coz we will should see pepsi come along shortly.. more money in f1!! ever since the withdrawal of tobacco companies i wondered if f1 could survive spending so much on each team

manchild
manchild

I think that Coke is closer to buying a team than forming a new one if they opt not to be just sponsors. Perhaps they could buy Jordan but since that would put them in bad position compared to RBR team 1 I doubt that they’ll do so.

Perhaps coming in as sponsor in a team better than RBR would be wiser for Coke (cheaper and better when it matters advertising). Ferrari is “naked” and needs money, Williams too and if Johnny Walker remains a “tiny” sponsor than even Mclaren shouldn’t be overlooked.

Who knows, perhaps we’ll se Coke-red BMW or Honda?!

Renault is there with Telefonica as major sponsor (no more Mild Seven), Toyota will stick to Panasonic, Jordan is too crappy to be sponsored by such a large company.

I agree that “Cola wars” would be a good thing as it would bring a lot of money in F1. It would be great if Coke would decide to take no changes with Red Bull and sponsor Williams or some other big team together with buying Jordan as the team of their own. That way they’d be on TV in fights with between Williams and RBR and in the backmarkers fight between Jordan and RBR team America.

We’ll se what happens, if I was Coke’s chief I’d buy only one major team and defeat Red Bull under name of Coca Cola racing team. I think that Williams is closest to be bought out.

West
West

I'll miss the tobacco ads, that's for sure...
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

manchild
manchild

West wrote:I'll miss the tobacco ads, that's for sure...
If you change your nick to Johnny we’ll understand :wink:

RH1300S
RH1300S

West wrote:I'll miss the tobacco ads, that's for sure...
This is sort of drifting OT - but I'd like to draw your collective memories back to the certain 7-UP liveried Jordan :D

manchild
manchild

RH1300S wrote:...I'd like to draw your collective memories back to the certain 7-UP liveried Jordan :D
I'd like to draw your collective memories back to...Image

If that was suitable for late '70s when as someone said "racing was dangerous and sex was safe" why not now? It would be a good marketing move for this company and for the whole anti-AIDS campaign.

RH1300S
RH1300S

Maybe we need an "Unusual Liveries" thread!

Latest news is that Dome has denied involvement, with the finger of suspicion now pointing at Aguri Suzuki, who has a race team.

This may be a "win win" for many people. Honda engines and Japanese involvement must surely make Taku a very likely driver (especially as Honda are getting bad press in Japan for ditching him) - so, Honda and Taku gain, it seems that Anthony Davidson has is a candidate for the other seat - just reward for him and keeping his Honda connections (it would be a shame to see him struggling around in a Jordan).

supertec

Well surely Taku is likely for a seat with a Honda powered (or whole team) but we still haven't considered Toyota's involvement and if they can persuade Taku of joining on with them. I'm sure that Midland won't land a sponsor like Coke either but being powered by Toyota and possibly a lead seat along side a rookie maybe they can persuade him otherwise. Although he is tied with Honda one never knows what happens in the F1 world.

Although from a personal standpoint i do not think Taku should leave Honda's side. Since their 100% take over of the BAR share holdings Honda will once again be atop the podium if they decide to start a works team to go against BMW, Ferrari and Toyota.
"It's Villeneuve, the young man from Ontario, Canada.....no excuse me, that's Quebec, Canada." -Martin Brundle

Scuderia_Russ

supertec wrote: Since their 100% take over of the BAR share holdings Honda will once again be atop the podium if they decide to start a works team to go against BMW, Ferrari and Toyota.
If they deciude to start a works team? Surely their 100% ownership of a team makes them now a full works entry?
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-