Marshall accident in Canada

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MuseF1
MuseF1

Marshall accident in Canada

There's been an accident with a marshall recovering Guiterrez Sauber, either hit by the crane or the car. Apparently he/she is in critical condition

Here's two news reports:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Gra ... story.html
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/track-worker ... -1.1318242

Pics
Before:

After:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMWXkjYCUAAvHS1.jpg:large

Edit: Removed embedded picture due to the death of the marshall. R.I.P
Last edited by MuseF1 on 10 Jun 2013, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

Terrible news re: the injured marshall.

The unsung stars of motor racing - there can't be any racing without them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

WhiteBlue

A tragic accident with the marshal! So sad! What a shame that he lost his life in an attempt to make things safer for the drivers. I actually thought they would call a safety car to make it safer for the guys working on the stricken car in that corner. They are under much time pressure and it appears that someone made a mistake. I hope they investigate all aspects and make sure it cannot happen again.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

turbof1

My heart goes to the family of the marshall. Very sad to die in such a way. Clearly F1 needs to keep improving procedures to ensure the safety of its people.
#AeroFrodo

timbo
timbo

WhiteBlue wrote:A tragic accident with the marshal! So sad! What a shame that he lost his life in an attempt to make things safer for the drivers. I actually thought they would call a safety car to make it safer for the guys working on the stricken car in that corner. They are under much time pressure and it appears that someone made a mistake. I hope they investigate all aspects and make sure it cannot happen again.
Very sad to hear that.
I too think there should be investigation. I think the marshals do not receive enough training and are poorly organized. Remember 2010(?) when a driver fell over almost in front of Kobayashi?

mikeerfol

timbo wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:A tragic accident with the marshal! So sad! What a shame that he lost his life in an attempt to make things safer for the drivers. I actually thought they would call a safety car to make it safer for the guys working on the stricken car in that corner. They are under much time pressure and it appears that someone made a mistake. I hope they investigate all aspects and make sure it cannot happen again.
Very sad to hear that.
I too think there should be investigation. I think the marshals do not receive enough training and are poorly organized. Remember 2010(?) when a driver fell over almost in front of Kobayashi?
it was actually 2011

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTsA1VvUcg0[/youtube]

stefan_
stefan_

timbo wrote:
Very sad to hear that.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nF0_HWrAho[/youtube]
and this...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgeZyJfkoUQ[/youtube]

I don't know if the marshalls go through training or just a debrief before a race weekend though.

Actually saw a picture of the guy being run over by that tractor carrying the Sauber...
Last edited by stefan_ on 10 Jun 2013, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

timbo
timbo

stefan_ wrote:I don't know if the marshalls go through training or just a debrief before a race weekend though.
Thanks for the vids. And when you think that marshals in Canada probably (and most certainly in Malaysia) don't have much practice, there seems to be a trend or better say conditions that would likely compromise overall safety. I think that FIA/FOM need to look at it. Especially because the geography of F1 events is constantly growing and GPs appearing in countries with very little tradition in motorsport.
It is hard to make Bernie use his money, but it is only fair if FOM organizes and finances training for marshals.

aral
aral

timbo wrote:
Very sad to hear that.
I don't think that this tragic accident had anything to do with training. The poor chap dropped his radio and bent down to pick it up. The driver of the crane did not see him and would not expect anybody to be stopped directly behind the vehicle. Health and Safety will no doubt investigate.
Marshals are a dedicated bunch of people who know that they are often working in a dangerous situation.

timbo
timbo

gilgen wrote:I don't think that this tragic accident had anything to do with training. The poor chap dropped his radio and bent down to pick it up. The driver of the crane did not see him and would not expect anybody to be stopped directly behind the vehicle. Health and Safety will no doubt investigate.
Well, if one looks at the majority of accidents they are indeed caused by a chain of unforceen random events. However it does not mean that there's no way to manage the risks.

Unc1e_M0nty

nash929 wrote:Martin Brundle even mentioned that they could leave Esteban's car at that point since it wasn't really in a precarious position :(
I heard this too and agreed at the time. there were only 4 laps left.

I feel for the marshall's family, and for the tractor driver, not his fault but he must feel pretty bad all the same.

bdr529

timbo wrote:
stefan_ wrote:I don't know if the marshalls go through training or just a debrief before a race weekend though.
Thanks for the vids. And when you think that marshals in Canada probably (and most certainly in Malaysia) don't have much practice, there seems to be a trend or better say conditions that would likely compromise overall safety. I think that FIA/FOM need to look at it. Especially because the geography of F1 events is constantly growing and GPs appearing in countries with very little tradition in motorsport.
It is hard to make Bernie use his money, but it is only fair if FOM organizes and finances training for marshals.
I know Its easy to think that because were under snow for most of the year that they must not know what they are doing.
I can assure you that they are well trained, the Marshals for the F1 race in Montreal come from all over Canada and the US

As a safety officer for a construction company I find this accident very disturbing. and would urge people not to jump to any conclusions on what happened and what could have prevented this, from my experience it is rarely a single mistake by anyone person, but rather a series of a small brake downs in procedures that led to this sad outcome.

stefan_
stefan_

bdr529 wrote:
timbo wrote:
I know Its easy to think that because were under snow for most of the year that they must not know what they are doing.
I can assure you that they are well trained, the Marshals for the F1 race in Montreal come from all over Canada and the US

As a safety officer for a construction company I find this accident very disturbing. and would urge people not to jump to any conclusions on what happened and what could have prevented this, from my experience it is rarely a single mistake by anyone person, but rather a series of a small brake downs in procedures that led to this sad outcome.
Yes, I know it may be cynical, but it's one of those things. A series of events that go in the wrong direction, all result in a tragedy and there's not much more you can do in the future to change things. Even if they will go into even more training, such things can happen again and as a race marshall you know what you're getting in to - it's a risk that you are aware of and assume when you sign up for the job.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Mind that such a similar case can happen in, let's say, construction. It's not so much that this is really f1 specific.

I do think however that similar cases can be avoided in the future. Fit sensors in front of the crane vehicle and you can go a long way already.

Training the personel itself isn't going to avoid such situations. It was a very unlucky incident; he fell right into the blind spot of the crane operator. No amount of training will be able to overcome your blind spot. You need to have equipment to be able to do that.

F1 made enormous, huge efforts to increase the safety of racing, and they massively succeeded in that. I think percentage-wise, F1 has less deadly accidents then road traffic. They should learn out of this new situation to keep diminishing that very small fraction of mortal situations.
#AeroFrodo

langwadt
langwadt

I read in several places that the accident happen when moving the car after the race was done, a safety car wouldn't have made a difference