2013 Belgian GP - Spa

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sennafan24
sennafan24

Re: 2013 Belgian GP - Spa

Juzh wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:
Juzh wrote: Vettel finished 2nd after starting 11th last year and pulled of some good overtakes to make it happen with 1 stop less than most. He won the race in 2011. It's like you said, everyone likes this track.
Last year he did have the aid of Alonso, Lewis and Romain being out to climb the field, but the Red Bull was seriously off pace if I recall right. So yeah it was one of his better drives last year.

Button was the man who really got it right last year, so yeah all the top drivers are usually of form at SPA.
yeah yeah yeah, instant excuses. In Vettel's own words: would, could, should.. makes no difference. How many times vettels engine blew while leading thus giving positions to others? What goes around, comes around. For everyone.
Erm, I was giving Vettel credit if you read my post :? Hence why I described his car as being "seriously off pace"

No need to be so defensive.

Juzh

Just saying that it is what it is. He still had to pull the overtakes on webber in the same car, senna in a much faster williams (on the straight) and massa in the ferrari. Webber was stuck in trafic for the entire race whereas vettel found a way past despite RBs pathetic top speed.
Lots of people gained positions on various races cuz of other drivers droping out. This is what allowed alonso to even fight for championship until the last race.

turbof1

Juzh wrote:Just saying that it is what it is. He still had to pull the overtakes on webber in the same car, senna in a much faster williams (on the straight) and massa in the ferrari. Webber was stuck in trafic for the entire race whereas vettel found a way past despite RBs pathetic top speed.
Lots of people gained positions on various races cuz of other drivers droping out. This is what allowed alonso to even fight for championship until the last race.
It isn't about the championship, or about having bad luck. Fact remains Vettel only qualified 11th last year. The prospects of him doing better this year aren't big. He did very well in the race considering his position, but the ones that got taken out last year aren't the easiest ones to pass.
Last edited by turbof1 on 02 Aug 2013, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

sennafan24
sennafan24

Juzh wrote:Just saying that it is what it is. He still had to pull the overtakes on webber in the same car, senna in a much faster williams (on the straight) and massa in the ferrari. Webber was stuck in trafic for the entire race whereas vettel found a way past despite RBs pathetic top speed.
But I was not disputing any of that, I did not once question his overtakes. I just acknowledged he did have some assistance in gaining positions due to early drop outs. You are correct, a lot of other drivers gain positions through drop outs, but my post was actually tending to compliment a stellar drive from Vettel, which you some reason assumed was a excuse for other drivers or a post discrediting Vettel, which it was not.

I will not bother with the Alonso comment, because it would be off-topic, but I would again suggest to stop being so defensive about Vettel, it is okay to challenge someone if they say something about him you disagree with, but not every post will act as love letter for him, as good as a driver he is. Same goes for all the top F1 drivers.

raymondu999

SiLo wrote:Has Vettel had many good races around here? I seem to remember Kimi and Hamilton being pretty good around here as they love the track ) although it seems so does everyone else).
Vettel's an odd one. He has nadda one-lap pace here, but give him a few laps and he'll be good. His only ever good quali here came when Q3 was done in "stay out and keep lapping" fashion in 2011. If he only has one lap, I don't think he's ever really nailed it here. But over a race distance, or pver a few quick laps (as in 2011 Q3) then he can rise.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SectorOne

Honestly....where do we sign the petition saying we do not accept 3 and 4 week breaks from Formula 1?

21 days left until it starts again....
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Mika1
Mika1

The whole F1 calendar is ridiculous this year, 1 race in 7 weeks, that's terrible.
The boss follows me on twitter.

sennafan24
sennafan24

Is a great cliffhanger though, with Lewis/Mercedes and Kimi/Lotus coming on strong.

If Vettel and Red Bull would have won in Hungry and the status quo reinforced, the summer break would not have as much suspense to it, as Vettel's title win would be seen as a formality.

Now even a pessimist like me is entertaining the WDC's is not a cert for Vettel, just very probable. I am thankful just for that bit of suspense, regardless of who you support a close or at least competitive Championship makes for much better viewing.

SiLo

I so desperately want Kimi and Hamilton to have a really strong second half of the year to bring the championship to the closing rounds!

Back on topic though, I would love either a fully dry race, or a fully wet race. Mixed races are fun, but a lot of the time it is pure luck being on the right tyre at the right time, being next to the pit entrance at the right time etc which can take away from some closer racing. But I wouldn't say no to another Kimi+Hamilton incident at the end of the race if the rain starts pouring down.
Felipe Baby!

reallydumb
reallydumb

I think Lewis and Kimi part2 will be great a Spa. =D> :D

rssh

reallydumb wrote:I think Lewis and Kimi part2 will be great a Spa. =D> :D
Gosh! I dream't today that we had SPA next week :cry:. I am annoyed at FIA for such a stupid calender :evil:

Last year Jenson had a low downforce setup relatively to Hamilton and the rest; and still he was able to set good time in S2. Whereas Kimi/RB had a higher Downforce setup which made it difficult to overtake cars. Schumi would pass Kimi left-right-centre on Kemmel straight and even the Redbull could pass anyone due to short gearing(315kph).

I don't want to predict which car will be strong because at spa FI are strong , Sauber and Merc has good straight line speed; Macca is predicting podium ,Hamilton can we 10 races with the car; Kimi is good around here but if it rains the Lotus is very poor in pace. New tyres new season and new mini championship :mrgreen:

beelsebob
beelsebob

SectorOne wrote:Honestly....where do we sign the petition saying we do not accept 3 and 4 week breaks from Formula 1?

21 days left until it starts again....
Heh, "honestly... where do we go to sign a petition saying that we require all engineers at F1 teams to work around the year without a break at any point"?

SectorOne

beelsebob wrote:Heh, "honestly... where do we go to sign a petition saying that we require all engineers at F1 teams to work around the year without a break at any point"?
If you squeeze it together more, there´s more time for the engineers because the season is shorter, although more intense.
You´d still have the summer break as usual.

AUS - 17/3
MAL - 24/3
CHI - 31/3
BAH - 7/4

If you´d run that first stint weekly and then jump to the regular schedule it would mean the Spanish Grand Prix is in May.
That´s a full month from Bahrain to Spain if you were to pack in the first stint a little bit tighter.

So instead of a whole month almost, make it a 2 week gap instead.

ESP - 21/4
MON - 28/4

then a 2 week break for Canada starting, 5th of May (in reality the Canadian GP is 9th of July!)

CAN - 5/5

Let´s make another 2 week break since it´s back to Europe.

ENG - 19/5
GER - 26/5
HUN - 2/6

Summer break, 4 weeks.

BEL - 30/6
ITA - 7/7

2 week break

SIN - 21/7
KOR - 28/7
JAP - 4/8
IND - 11/8
ABU - 18/8

2 week break

USA - 1/9
BRA - 8/9

So instead of finishing in the 24th of November, it can end in September, a full 2 months earlier.
I wonder which schedule the engineers would take..
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

beelsebob
beelsebob

SectorOne wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Heh, "honestly... where do we go to sign a petition saying that we require all engineers at F1 teams to work around the year without a break at any point"?
If you squeeze it together more, there´s more time for the engineers because the season is shorter, although more intense.
What makes you think that would be less stressful for them? ;)

SectorOne

beelsebob wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
What makes you think that would be less stressful for them? ;)
As i said, it will be more intense but you also have more time after the season and some pretty healthy 2 week gaps when they go to another continent ;)

5 Two-week gaps actually. And one 4 week summer break.