Pirelli 2014

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Re: Pirelli 2014

Size of Pirelli marbles collected on the main straight at Albert Park during the last 3 GPs

This could be so very random, but this year I could hardly find any marbles and those that I found were very small.

turbof1

So marble size has been halfed, while the amount has been reduced by an even larger percentage. That's nice to hear. I also heard little complain about the tyres. Some graining here and there, but the team Always said it would be scrubbed clean within a few laps.
#AeroFrodo

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

I hope the tires degrade faster in the European races with less graining. Races can be a bit more exciting :)

Pierce89

Its clear klagg was was much greater at Sepang than Melbourne, but Sepang was always going to be much harsher on tires than Melbourn
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

n_anirudh wrote:I hope the tires degrade faster in the European races with less graining. Races can be a bit more exciting :)
PIrelli can't win! Some people want less degradation, others want more!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Pierce89 wrote:Its clear klagg was was much greater at Sepang than Melbourne, but Sepang was always going to be much harsher on tires than Melbourn
Interestingly, the commentators on the BBC coverage said that there were less marbles evident at Sepang. Presumably this was relative to last year. It's a good thing if marbles are reduced as it makes off line excursions for overtaking less damaging.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

myurr
myurr

Just_a_fan wrote:
n_anirudh wrote:I hope the tires degrade faster in the European races with less graining. Races can be a bit more exciting :)
PIrelli can't win! Some people want less degradation, others want more!
And on top of that the sport insists on lining all the cars up in speed order and then stops them from further fine tuning or adjusting of their pace.

I think the tyres are performing admirably at the moment. Any lack of racing is down to the other rules governing the sport.

bhall
bhall

The best part about Pirelli's tires this year is that the appearance of this thread marks the first time I've even considered them.

Job well done.
Last edited by bhall on 31 Mar 2014, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

lebesset
lebesset

have pirelli shot themselves in the foot ?
they get the FIA to agree to insist that the teams use the tyres as per their designed specification , and to allow proper testing , and what happens ?
nobody is talking about their tyres anymore

:cry:
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

iotar__

bhall wrote:The best part about Pirelli's tires this year is that the appearance of this thread marks the first time I've even considered them.

Job well done.
I'm sure they will go well with your F1 car.
lebesset wrote:have pirelli shot themselves in the foot ?
they get the FIA to agree to insist that the teams use the tyres as per their designed specification , and to allow proper testing , and what happens ?
nobody is talking about their tyres anymore

:cry:
Same can be said about racing, no one's talking about it because it's non existent. :cry:
No one's worried about not pushing 100%, there's a shocking development. Oh those varying strategies of 2014, edge of the seat, pure racing, old school stuff.

MOWOG

Oh those varying strategies of 2014, edge of the seat, pure racing, old school stuff.
Methinks you are jesting, sir! :P
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Hard to tell on TV broadcast, but during the last race it almost looked like the track had been cleaned off on the racing line, like the tires picked up rubber rather than laying it down. But again, hard to tell from TV.

Definitely an interesting tread formulation change they've made reducing the marbling regardless.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

lebesset
lebesset

Jersey Tom wrote:Hard to tell on TV broadcast, but during the last race it almost looked like the track had been cleaned off on the racing line, like the tires picked up rubber rather than laying it down. But again, hard to tell from TV.

Definitely an interesting tread formulation change they've made reducing the marbling regardless.
looked to me as though there wasn't much rubber anywhere on the track for the race
but then , to paraphrase an old expression [ which vettel obviously knows ] , rain happens
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Kiril Varbanov

One thing is for sure, obviously (the favorite word of the F1 drivers!): we don't talk about Pirelli at all, or at least not as much as last year. In my personal opinion the balance has been found.

Artur Craft

I could clearly see marbles close to the racing line in Bahrain. It's not what it had been the last couple of years but still there, albeit now to a level of the Firestones on Indycar

The Pirellis are still degrading way too much for my taste. After some 12 laps, the tyres are already some 2,5 to 3s slower, IIRC