F1 Circuit Design.

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
motorloon1993
motorloon1993

F1 Circuit Design.

Just posting a circuit I made on Adobe Illustrator it took a while and well so I thought I might post it on here, I made it because I wanted to touch up on my Illustrator skills a bit and since I used to draw circuit designs when I was young I thought a circuit map would be an ok base for a good doodle. The 3d render is a bit scrappy and doesn't really match up with the contours on the 2d map but it was a bit hard trying to render what looks like true 3d map in a 2d based programme so forgive me.

Anyway the idea of the circuit is to make a more flowing modern circuit unlike some rigid examples currently and irritatingly occupying increasingly more of the f1 calander. Because this is pure fantasy I decide to sit the circuit in a rather convenient valley with the inner section (which is a mini monacoesque street section because again why the hell not.) being very low and circumference high in the hills were the majority of spectator areas are located giving the audience a good view of circuit and creating an almost stadium like quality. :)

The colours look a little different to the actual illustrator file I'm not sure why.

shadow explorer
shadow explorer

Re: F1 Circuit Design.

I like it! =D>
It seems to be a very interesting desing with very fast and slow sectors :)
very interesting mix :)

Ciro Pabón

Well, perhaps it's the first time I have nothing to say to correct a circuit design, except this: ex-ce-llent!

Those that know me also knows I'm joking: I never give one line posts, so there you go (in a post filled with admiration).

Best circuit I've seen in this place (and among the best I've seen anywhere).

I think you are a soul brother, motorloon1993, because you have used all the circuit design mantras that I love: the stadium is there, thus the spectators see the whole thing, no fast sweeping curves without safety zone, interesting inner street part for "machos", excellent treatment of elevation.

No drainage in place, but that could be solved (with money, but what the heck, it's a fantasy place).

I really love amphitheaters: if I had a saying all circuits would, by rules, use the terrain like the Greeks knew how to

As I was saying, an amphitheater like the one you design needs a system to pump water, and, thus, a reservoir lagoon for torrential rains (for rain peak-management, diminishing the cost of the pumps).

Also, of course, that lagoon would be located at the end of a tricky curve that direct lousy drivers into it, complete with scuba divers and rescue boats.... Fantasy is fantasy, isn't it? It has been ages since a car went into the water...

1955 Monaco race: Ascari goes into La Piscine (that is, the Swimming Pool)

I could say you have no auxiliary road in place but heck, I'm not going to say it.

I could also say you could change the pit lane to be on the inner side of the track so spectators in the main bleachers can see the action, but I'm guessing the VIP tribunes are the pink rectangles in the inner part of the circuit, in front of the garages, so I'm not going to say that either.

I would also be extremely pedantic if I insisted on a larger safety zone at the end of the straight for doubling the circuit and accept drag races, but, heck, I love the green zones (if that's the two green blobs I see). I guess you could picnic on them (well, perhaps I would retire the green one, located towards the left of the image, a bit to the left.

This would give you the safety zone needed at the end of the straight for drag races. This would also need another pit zone to the right of the main straight to accommodate drag mechanics and a drag launching pad and semaphores but that's nothing compared with the fluency I can see in the general idea).

I could say, finally, that there is no parking zone that I can discern where to park the auxiliary vehicles (trucks and host vehicles) and there is also no access for parking spectator vehicles, but instead I prefer to give you a +1 in reputation, my man.

Instead of nagging with little things that could be filled in, I would like to note (for those who has no proclivity for detail) that I love the small things I can see and there are already in place.

For example, it's noticeable that you take in account that you have to diminish speed at the end of the straight for powerful cars (the kink is there to force braking) but you also give a straight alternative for smaller cars! Lovely.

You know, sometimes you get bored with designs that does not take in account that a circuit has to accommodate many kinds of cars. Following that idea, another shunt to the right of the street racer part, creating a shorter closed circuit in the inner section, allows you to give people an intrepid kart section extraordinair.

However, that's nothing compared with the feeling I get: it's evident you're a racer. I mean, I racer that races, a true one. 8)

Because all that, I really, truly like the way you think. I bow my hat. I hope you have a nice day: you have made mine a much better one.
Ciro

motorloon1993
motorloon1993

What bloody brilliant post thanks man, great feedback learned quite a bit to take into account, might attempt tweaking it I'll upload the outcome if I do. :)

Kiril Varbanov

I love Adobe Illustrator, it's a great tool. And, awesome effort, I truly love that one. But hell, if Ciro approves it, it doesn't matter if I like it or not :) Way to go!

On a related note, I'm preparing a spicy piece on F1-regulated track design, featuring words from Tilke, expect it this winter on F1 Framework.

Alonso Fan

very nice track!!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa