Your opinion counts!

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Your opinion counts!

Hi,

the ideas of where f1technical needs to go to seem to be quite different among some people. Because I have just received some really negative feedback from someone I think is allowed to say so, I would really like to know what you want to see on f1technical more or less. Please also mention what you think about the news appearing on this site

I hope you're kind of satisfied with it as I'm a little depressed right now :(

Thanks

manchild
manchild

Well I think that sort of boredom some people notice is a natural thing. I mean, it took years for F1 history to be available on web, than it took time for most of F1 fans to check out all the technology and exchange their views (it is still going on as new fans arrive).

In the meantime materials (photos, drawing etc.) regarding modern F1 cars became more and more restricted to public and that might seam like “nothing interesting” on the F1 technical.

One of the main causes of lack of information I see in official F1 website where they’ve learned that people are interested in technology and they started copying contents of private sites dealing with F1 technology. They introduced “technical analysis” section on official F1 website years after Scarbs started such section on his site only with fancier drawings but it was stolen idea.

So now, all of the photos and analysis is kept for official F1 website while public gets nothing else since teams are protecting their technology and now we F1 technical including other sites like Scarbs are in a way forced to became mainly news and forum sites with content mainly dealing with history since it is impossible to get photos or technical drawing anymore.

But that is not just the case with private sites, most of the team sites are also dealing with results, statistics and history revealing nothing about technology which is logical.

What can you do…? Finding more photos, drawings and schemes has become impossible since http://www.formula1.com has started its own web section dealing with contemporary technology and as a big fish it keeps it all food for themselves which leaves no food for enthusiast running private sites and fans.

I’ve noticed this some time ago and even thought about if possible merging of best private technical sites into one big website could be a way to keep such sites alive?

Perhaps GMPA would be interested to offer their assistance to one big site dealing with technology?
Last edited by manchild on 02 Dec 2005, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

I think you should moderate the forum threads a bit better. Theres a lot of crap being posted.

I like the site layout, the way the news, forum and the tech articles are presented is really nice but the techquality of the majority of the forum posts is really low.

Less crap more quality and better moderation on the forum front and I think this site will be alright.

/ Fx

manchild
manchild

I agree that there is a lot of crap on forum, I also contribute to that :wink: but I think that it is the result of lack of real stuff that could be analyzed, talked about etc. Hunger for new things is huge but there are no new things. Technology in F1 is so restricted and we all know how 4 stroke engine runs or how sequential gearbox runs. So except commenting some visible new designs during the season there isn’t much left.

I bet that situation would be much better if technology wasn’t banned and than topics with hypothetical f1 tech would have some meaning. This way new ideas that don’t comply with FIA regulations are useless for forum and they’d have more meaning on some automotive forum since nothing new was applied in F1 for more than a decade!

I fell pointless to discuss things like fan-spokes or variable wings because such things are banned. General chat could be removed from forum but than the site would dry out and people will eventually stop visiting or visit rarely.
Last edited by manchild on 02 Dec 2005, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

Principessa

But what do you think about the news on the site? Not too much? Or it's ok?

Steven
Owner

Anonymous wrote:I think you should moderate the forum threads a bit better. Theres a lot of crap being posted.
/ Fx
I'll take notice of that and try to do something about it ;)

Scuderia_Russ

I agree with Manchild's last post about how some threads quickly die because the technology being talked about does not conform to the F.I.A. F1 regulations. Maybe next to the 'Other Racing Series' board we just need a plain and simple '(Other) Racing Technology' board or something similar. I do hope this can be discussed at lengh though as I wouldn't like to see you make any quick decisions Tomba, take your time mate.
p.s. IMO the news is great.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

manchild
manchild

Principessa wrote:But what do you think about the news on the site? Not too much? Or it's ok?
Don't get depressed P :wink:

If people don't criticize something that means they like it. Seriously, as I've already said before news are good and I'm regularly reading them.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I like this site, and I recognize and appreciate all the hard work behind it.

I believe that many times, topics wander off their themes too much, and digress to politics and perceptions. That's OK by me, I believe in free speech. But we all need to make sure that the topic is appropriate for the general category. For example (and this is just to make a point, not to insult or dis anyone) a post that started about active suspensions digressed to politics and tracks. In fact, I was tempted to comment on track safety, but decided not to, because it would just feed into going into a direction that had nothing to do with active suspensions.

As far as the quality of technical information, everyone needs to be aware of the source. For example, myself. I'm not formally trained in engineering, but I have had a lot of real world exposure to racing (and mechanical/electical systems), as a mechanic. So whatever I post is just the opinion of just one person who is more mechanic than engineer.

Tomba, you're doing great stuff. no crap.

My only suggestion is that the moderators make sure that topics don't wander off the theme.

Scuderia_Russ

A lot of good points Dave. I for one am a nightmare for going O/T. I too appreciate what Tomba and Principessa do with this site, especially since they both study themselves.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Steven
Owner

ah well we might as well just quit it, for what sake am I making this site and is principessa writing articles.

At first we had 3 complaints of copyright infringments from a news service. Now that we actually publish the sources and do so as some kind of blog, there is the bbc who state that publishing their news is not allowed.

Since this site costs me several hundreds of euros without any income I ask myself how can I get news from anywhere?? Investing more money is simply out of the question as long as I don't have a prospect of seeing at least some of my costs refunded

:cry: :cry:
DaveKillens wrote:My only suggestion is that the moderators make sure that topics don't wander off the theme.
Well... the only real help is was CFDruss who apparently has lost all interest.

manchild
manchild

What about rewriting the news – making short and more compact version instead of copying whole text? Could that help with copyright issues?

:mrgreen:

Principessa

Not always manchild...I've done it before...but it's not easy and sometimes we get comment on that too. Why are they making it so difficult for people who are really passionate about F1?

manchild
manchild

Check out this site http://interestalert.com/

They provide variety of news for websites (if I'm not mistaken) and they have Formula one section http://interestalert.com/remote/siteia/ ... ormula+One
Get paid to put News on your Web Site?

Add real-time free news content to improve your site's appeal and increase repeat visits.

Affiliate Program: If you have enough traffic, earn discounts on our products
FAQ http://interestalert.com/remote/siteia/faq2.html

If it is as good as it sounds, it would be like killing two flies with one hit - making some money and having no problems with copyright... Perhaps it can even be filtered like Google Adsense so that only news from specific sections like "formula one" get trough. Combined with press releases from F1 team sites and official F1 website it should be enough.
-------------------------------------------------------------

There is also this one - http://freenewsfeed.newsfactor.com/