will there be a new team in F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pup
Pup

Re: will there be a new team in F1?

The fuse is too short on the application for the FIA not to have someone in mind already. Better to ask who it is rather than if there will be one.

GitanesBlondes

MOWOG wrote:Why on earth would anyone in their right mind want to get involved with the psychotically dysfunctional family known as Formula One? Wouldn't it be just as easy to beat yourself over the head with a spanner? A lot cheaper, too.

Ford, Toyota and Honda were all burned at the stake by Formula One. And you guys think they are just itching to get back in and suffer more abuse? Surely you can't be serious. :wtf:

And don't call me Shirley.
This is why I always found it comedic when people think the manufacturers are going to ever come back.

After what went on in the past, there is zero incentive to ever return to F1.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

WhiteBlue

I support the FiA in the quest for a full grid of teams. It is good for F1 to have more opportunities for more drivers. Bernie does not matter. He wants a small grid to minimize his cost base, but in reality there is enough money in F1 to pay for twelve teams. You just have to force CVC to cough up the money instead of sacking it all in. The issue is also connected to the cost cutting effort. Unless the chassis costs are capped somehow twelve teams will not be viable.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FW17

Mario Andretti says that he will run in F1 if they allowed customer teams, I find it hard to imagine that happening.

The last customer deal in the news was TF110 with Stefan GP, and that was upwards of 30 million euros(with engines costing only 8 million euros those days). Add running costs of 20 GPs and 12 days of testing which will be at least another 30 million euros. That will make it at least 65 million a season, do customers have that kind of money?

Pup
Pup

GitanesBlondes wrote:
MOWOG wrote:Ford, Toyota and Honda were all burned at the stake by Formula One. And you guys think they are just itching to get back in and suffer more abuse? Surely you can't be serious. :wtf:
This is why I always found it comedic when people think the manufacturers are going to ever come back.
I think Honda coming back disproves this line of thought. Ask yourself this - with at least three current teams actively looking for investment/partners/buyers, who other than a manufacturer would want to set up an entirely new team?

xpensive
xpensive

Pup wrote: ...
I think Honda coming back disproves this line of thought.
Coming back as engine-supplier yes, as a team hell no.

Besides, Honda got the engine-design for free from MrT, as produced by Gilles Simon, through Craig Pollock as proxy.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pup
Pup

That's how F1 works, x - the first hit is free. So just give them time.

Honda spent years as a supplier to BAR before they took over. BMW started with Williams. Merc with McLaren. Eventually, they want the whole pie. It rarely works, but they do it anyway. Manufacturer involvement in F1 comes in waves. One follows another, both in and out of the sport. But in general, manufacturers look for excuses to go racing, and past failures are easily rationalized. I'm sure that Honda's return perked up a few ears over at Toyota, no?

Toyota possibly would have benefitted from partnering for a number of years to learn the ropes. Certainly they'd have spent less money. I'm sure there's a sizable group within Toyota who think "if only we'd have been given a few more years", or "this time, with a different management strategy..." Or maybe even with the same one...

There's probably a few within BMW thinking the same. Not saying it aloud, of course - they're german - but they're thinking it. Sales figures are looking good over there at the moment; and when the cash is flowing, it's time to go racing.

dren

Pup wrote:The fuse is too short on the application for the FIA not to have someone in mind already. Better to ask who it is rather than if there will be one.
That's my guess as well. This late in the game, they already have somebody who has been gearing up.
Honda!

Richard
Richard

dren wrote:
Pup wrote:The fuse is too short on the application for the FIA not to have someone in mind already. Better to ask who it is rather than if there will be one.
That's my guess as well. This late in the game, they already have somebody who has been gearing up.
Or perhaps it doesn't matter when they announce it because there's no one to take up the offer? Something to make FIA look nice although it's an empty gesture?

JayeOFarrell

May have already been said but isn't there two places on the grid not one? So they could attach two teams if there was interest?
“Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.”
― Vincent van Gogh

adrianjordan

Playlife wrote:Would be nice to see Jordan F1 make a return. F1 is missing a yellow team :)
Happy to take on an honorary role in the team to lend it my name...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Pup
Pup

richard_leeds wrote:
dren wrote:
Or perhaps it doesn't matter when they announce it because there's no one to take up the offer? Something to make FIA look nice although it's an empty gesture?
I thought of that. I wonder if there could be some EU regulation that they have to meet? I doubt it, but you never know.

But it's unlike Todt to make an empty gesture, especially if it can be turned against him. After all, Bernie wants to cut a team, against FIA wishes. So you can imagine what he'll have to say if the FIA get no responses.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

could just aswell be a well thought play of bernie and todt, there's the potential of both marussia and caterham fusing/merging with other teams. that would mean 2 less teams in the field. the addition of the 'new' team could be to fill in that 10th grid spot that recieves prize money.

there's still the talks about customer cars. i don't think that's a good idea at all, but it could bring something to the table.
like a tub for example. a team could be allowed to use a homogolated tub from another team, but to develop the rest themselves.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Pup
Pup

Anyone seen any more about this? The deadline for entries is now over.

marcush.
marcush.

the current structure of formula 1 does not allow for modest Teams -just look at caterham and Marussia witha reported Budget of how many millions of Dollars and not the slightest hint of making any inroads to even score Points-mind you in the 70s only Points for top six finishes were awarded...but These days with near 100% reliability technically ...you Need a lot more recource to even compete in the midfield.
Who in possession of a brain would even Play with the thought of jumping into that sort of water? Sauber has shown it can be managed with limited recources but apart from very few Teams all seem to struggle to even survive year after year..
Marussia ,Caterham,HRT only ever committed anticipating a Budget cap and reduced spending of the big Teams which did not happen.
Mercedes joined on that basis .formula 1 Looks more likely to lose more Teams .I cannot see any manaufacturer being prepared to run a full Team .
Mercedes will drop formula 1 as soon as they win the pot..history repeating ....what happens to F1 the day Didi Mateschitz leaves formula 1 for whatever reason?