Hello, anybody home…knock, knock – on head

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
manchild
manchild

Hello, anybody home…knock, knock – on head

Today I’ve seen that they started using helicopters in A1GP for removal of cars…

I think that someone needs to a history lesson trough watching video footage of Lorenzo Bandini’s crash.

Back than they weren’t using helicopters for this purpose but helicopter that recorded the race from altitude similar to one used by car removal helicopters in A1GP turned fire on Bandini’s Ferrari into inferno that caused his death.

http://www.cervia.com/ferrariclubforli/ ... naco67.avi

I really don’t understand how someone today could dare to put a blower above smoking car filled with gasoline?!
Last edited by manchild on 12 Dec 2005, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

Scuderia_Russ

Although I didn't know of the incident with Bandini I was a little surprised to be honest. I've never seen it done before.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The US Air Force tried to fight crash and aircraft fires from a helicopter back in the '50s and '60s with the Kaman HH-43.
http://www-rucker.army.mil/FTS/Helo%20P ... mages.html
Obviously, the rotor downwash could easily fan the flames, thus making a bad situation worse. The only logic was that it could blow the flames and such in a certain direction, hopefully directing the fire away from personel or equipment. But that method is no longer used, probably because it just made a bad thing worse.
The present way to fight fires is to use crash trucks and dedicated ground based fire fighting equipment. I hope the A1GP organizers are aware of this history lesson, and keep helicopters away from any potential fire situations.

RH1300S
RH1300S

Jeez...that's grim viewing :(