Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Pierce89

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

akshat21 wrote:McLaren, being a works team again, will have a veto as to who Honda Supplies engines to. They have already been burnt once when they allowed Mercedes to supply engines to Brawn GP and didn't use the veto to stop the deal. (Link to an old BBC Article).

This time around, even though Martin Whitmarsh announced the deal with Honda, Ron Dennis would have made sure that they have a veto for customer engines and tie Honda with McLaren for the foreseeable future. It would be a waste of time, effort and money for both Honda and McLaren to have works deal for just one year.
They only have exclusivity for one years, and I've seen no evidence their "works" deal gives them a veto. I believe Honda would probably love to have Red Bull in 2016. You seen the stories that Red Bull will have Renault PUs in 2015. That conveniently leaves them open for 2016.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

akshat21 wrote:McLaren, being a works team again, will have a veto as to who Honda Supplies engines to. They have already been burnt once when they allowed Mercedes to supply engines to Brawn GP and didn't use the veto to stop the deal. (Link to an old BBC Article).

This time around, even though Martin Whitmarsh announced the deal with Honda, Ron Dennis would have made sure that they have a veto for customer engines and tie Honda with McLaren for the foreseeable future. It would be a waste of time, effort and money for both Honda and McLaren to have works deal for just one year.
They only have exclusivity for one year, and I've seen no evidence their "works" deal gives them a veto. I believe Honda would probably love to have Red Bull in 2016. You seen the stories that Red Bull will have Renault PUs in 2015? That conveniently leaves them open for 2016.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

akshat21
akshat21

Pierce89 wrote:

They only have exclusivity for one year, and I've seen no evidence their "works" deal gives them a veto. I believe Honda would probably love to have Red Bull in 2016. You seen the stories that Red Bull will have Renault PUs in 2015? That conveniently leaves them open for 2016.

McLaren will be be the defacto works teams for the foreseeable future.

Due to the R&D costs of developing the engine, it is fair to say that Honda will supply engines to other teams at some point as well. I am not saying there will be exclusivity in the sense that McLaren would be the only team that Honda will ever supply engines to. What I am trying to say is McLaren will have be the works team and will have a say to which other teams Honda can supply to.

As for the veto, there has to be a provision in the contract for it. McLaren knows how competitive the F1 field is and how they have been burnt by Mercedes with the Brawn take over. As I had said earlier, McLaren have been burnt once. They will make sure the contract is as airtight as possible, with heavy exit penalties.

I have read stories of RB staying with Renault Power for "2015", but one also has to realize that there will be convergence in engine performance over the coming years like there was when the V8 was homologated. Interestingly enough, even at that time Renault had one of the least powerful engines (although their engines at that time were the most fuel efficient) and Mercedes had one of the most powerful engines.

Renault also knows that if it keeps producing sub par engines, they will be out of business shortly. They can change a lot of components next year and tailor their engines to Red Bull (Since Lotus is moving to Mercedes Power). Also, I have read reports that Red Bull is interested in taking over the Viry operations of Renault should they think of going out of business.

Sasha
Sasha

If Mclaren doesn't sign one of the top drivers for the 2016 season,Mclaren will have no say to Honda giving RB a their PU.

That simple!!!

gary123

Sasha wrote:If Mclaren doesn't sign one of the top drivers for the 2016 season,Mclaren will have no say to Honda giving RB a their PU.

That simple!!!
How old are you?
McLaren throughout its history with Ron Dennis on command has always had the exclusive engine supplier.
From V6 Turbo Tag-Porsche to Mercedes until 2009. And Next year with Honda.
McLaren has never been a "Garagista" team like Williams.
Frank's team has Mercedes P.U but they will never have a chance to win the championship.
If McLaren didn't had the Honda exclusivity and the chance to fight for the world title, They would not certainly have changed supplier.
So stop writing nonsense stuff.
If RB will want to have the Honda P.U they will have to give in exchange one of the drivers to McLaren.

Sasha
Sasha

Then you don't know? And don't ask for somebody's age,it makes you look like a DONKEY.

In the Contract between both party's,there are things that must be meet.

Do you think Honda will keep putting the crazy money into Mclaren after 2015 if Mclaren doesn't get it's ship correct and starts showing some life?Honda is investing about $100 million a year to the deal.Thats a lot of money for just a PU supplier!

Mclaren only has one year to prove it's self... 2015.Honda will not leave but will give there top-spec PU to another team for a fair price with also leasing customer grade PU too.

gary123

Sasha wrote:Then you don't know? And don't ask for somebody's age,it makes you look like a DONKEY.

In the Contract between both party's,there are things that must be meet.

Do you think Honda will keep putting the crazy money into Mclaren after 2015 if Mclaren doesn't get it's ship correct and starts showing some life?Honda is investing about $100 million a year to the deal.Thats a lot of money for just a PU supplier!

Mclaren only has one year to prove it's self... 2015.Honda will not leave but will give there top-spec PU to another team for a fair price with also leasing customer grade PU too.
Are you so sure that Honda's P.U will be the best?
McLaren and Honda are two dark horses regarding the upcoming season.
One of the two can do well and the other can suck.
Therefore, keep it down with the tone and with the offenses . I asked you how old you are, for the simple reason that by the way you write I do not think you know this teams history so well. Because Ron Dennis's McLaren has always had an exclusive engine supplier.

CjC
CjC

Good one Sasha, real mature reply!

Did you miss the news that Red Bull will consider either running Renault engines or build their own with an independent German or Austrian engineering company? Nothing about using honda power plants.

What if mclaren make a stunning car and honda are way down power and have horrendous fuel economy? Do mclaren have the right to throw in the towel with honda, as you have suggested honda have the right with mclaren?
Just a fan's point of view

Sasha
Sasha

Again the point is...Mclaren needs to get their ship together and with Honda's money their in an hiring spree to do that and doing major internal structure changes.Also Honda wants to invest in other projects with Mclaren but the F1 team is first now.

Because Mclaren doesn't have the money like in the past,Ron Dennis doesn't have the control like in the 80's.He needs Honda more than Honda needs him.He is also lucking Honda is now having image problems with their brand and Ron can help them with that.

That's where I come in.The other projects.So if the F1 project doesn't go right it hurts the other projects.

From Japan.....we will win this time around and it doesn't matter if a customer team wins.It is Powered by Honda.
But Im not worried...I'm seeing good changes at Woking every time I visit.

akshat21
akshat21

Sasha wrote:Again the point is...Mclaren needs to get their ship together and with Honda's money their in an hiring spree to do that and doing major internal structure changes.Also Honda wants to invest in other projects with Mclaren but the F1 team is first now.

Because Mclaren doesn't have the money like in the past,Ron Dennis doesn't have the control like in the 80's.He needs Honda more than Honda needs him.He is also lucking Honda is now having image problems with their brand and Ron can help them with that.

That's where I come in.The other projects.So if the F1 project doesn't go right it hurts the other projects.

From Japan.....we will win this time around and it doesn't matter if a customer team wins.It is Powered by Honda.
McLaren are getting their house in order.. Hence the recent spate of hirings and firings. You are already seeing the results of Ron Dennis at McLaren. The way he handled the Prodromou situation with RB was excellent. He knew he had leverage and he wasn't afraid to use it to the hilt. Hence Prodromou is joining McLaren earlier than expected. They have their old prickliness back with Ron Dennis.

As for the money part, I am sure Honda Money is welcomed at McLaren. But that doesnt mean that McLaren are in dire straights without them.

The reason why everyone in this forum is saying McLaren will eventually get itself out of this mess is because we have all seen it happen. There was a time when Williams was all conquering and McLaren were in the doldrums. Ron, even during that time, managed to snare Mercedes from Sauber and look at the results after that (2 WDCs and 1 Constructor's championship). It would have been more had it not been for reliability issues. Also, they almost won a World Championship with Kimi in a car which was over a year old. It is acts like these, along with the man who performed those acts, that make many (myself included) believe in McLaren and believe that they will turn it around.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Simon Pagenaud (Verizon IndyCar Series front-runner) is in line to test Honda's new 1.6-liter turbocharged engine that will make its F1 debut next season with McLaren.

Source: http://www.racer.com/f1/item/106968-f1- ... honda-test

akshat21
akshat21

It would be interesting to see other manufacturer's reactions if Honda does stick the F1 engine in an Indycar and run it till the cows come home.

Legally they cannot do anything about it, since Honda is not in F1 at the moment, and they would know that what Honda is doing will give it a competitive edge.

They can do it in complete secrecy as well as they own test tracks in Japan.

adrianjordan

akshat21 wrote:It would be interesting to see other manufacturer's reactions if Honda does stick the F1 engine in an Indycar and run it till the cows come home.

Legally they cannot do anything about it, since Honda is not in F1 at the moment, and they would know that what Honda is doing will give it a competitive edge.

They can do it in complete secrecy as well as they own test tracks in Japan.
Depending on who you believe, at the very least Ferrari did this with a test mule last year...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Sasha wrote:That's where I come in.The other projects.So if the F1 project doesn't go right it hurts the other projects.

And that's where you lose all credibility in my eyes I'm afraid. If you were involved in this project then I very much doubt that you would be posting on here about it - especially effectively bad-mouthing the team with which you purport to be working...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mikeerfol

Sasha wrote:I'm seeing good changes at Woking every time I visit.
Say hi to JB next time you drop by :)