Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sasha
Sasha

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Who said I work for Dennis? Not me! :shock:

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

:roll:

Anyway.............to get back on topic, I don't see Big Ron signing a works engine deal with Honda without works exclusivity for some years ahead. Also there's absolutely no way Honda will shovel so much dosh into Woking only to walk after one or two years and not see the fruit of their wedge.

Do you not think they noticed what happened at Merc and Red Bull over the last few years?

Talking of Red Bull, has it occurred to only me that Red Bull could shovel a load of dosh into Cosworth and develop their own engine that way? Maybe commercially rebadged as an Infinity?? Never did Ford any harm. I bet Cosworth could do the business with a 100 mill or so.

Sasha
Sasha

When the Contract was signed(2012),who was the Boss?

You already forgot why Dennis was kick out of the team?

That Fine and starting up the Auto side is the reason Mclaren is in the shape it is now!

They had no money to keep drivers,team members!

So the last Boss pulls a rabbit out of the hat and signs Honda(more than a PU supplier....OEM partner and Banker)) and Ron Dennis uses him as a scape goat for problems that where caused by Ron Dennis(fine for cheating and the huge start up costs of Mclaren Auto).Their very lucky Honda believes history can repeat itself like in 88. :)

Avocado
Avocado

Sasha wrote:They had no money to keep drivers,team members!
Oh boy ... #-o Where is the ignore function?

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Sasha wrote:When the Contract was signed(2012),who was the Boss?

That Fine and starting up the Auto side is the reason Mclaren is in the shape it is now!

So the last Boss pulls a rabbit out of the hat and signs Honda(more than a PU supplier....OEM partner and Banker)) and Ron Dennis uses him as a scape goat for problems that where caused by Ron Dennis(fine for cheating and the huge start up costs of Mclaren Auto).Their very lucky Honda believes history can repeat itself like in 88. :)
Please, stop!
Martin Whitmarsh and his management, hiring, atitudine towards drivers, team members and everything is the cause of Mclaren decline.
I have to remind you that even after Paddy Lowe and other engineers bleed to other teams, he was still leaving in his own world saying: "I firmly believe we have the best engineers and desiners in the F1 business", and I was jus :shock: when I saw his statement, finnaly accepting that this man will not bring nothing good to Mclaren. Or when he insisted to prove the board that Jenson Button it's in the same category with Lewis Hamilton or when wasting development effort on mp4-27 just to adapt it to Jenson Button's styles and struggles. We saw how good Jenson Button is in developing and giving direction to the team since January 2013.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Sasha wrote:When the Contract was signed(2012),who was the Boss?

Pretty sure almost all of the money used for the road car business came from private investors and the like and not from the F1 team.

As for the cheating all the teams do it as far as they can without getting caught. I'm sure most top teams would have guys secretly working for other teams trying to get information leaked or something of the sort. Not saying it is right but that is what happens.

adrianjordan

Sasha wrote:You already forgot why Dennis was kick out of the team?
I even forgot that Ron Dennis was kicked out of the team...there was I thinking that he was always a part-owner of the team...shows what I know.

Oh, and you implied that you work with the team...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sasha
Sasha

By stating I visit Woking?
I do.

Your all mad because RB might have a Honda PU too.

Most likely WILL NOT HAPPEN but the two parties are keeping doors open because RB is looking for a good PU and Honda is looking for top drivers.They miss the selling power of Senna!

akshat21
akshat21

Sasha wrote:By stating I visit Woking?
I do.

Your all mad because RB might have a Honda PU too.

Most likely WILL NOT HAPPEN but the two parties are keeping doors open because RB is looking for a good PU and Honda is looking for top drivers.They miss the selling power of Senna!
The point is, McLaren will be a works team. Do you really believe that McLaren would have agreed to Honda saying they will be works team for 1 year, when McLaren already knows that as of now, they have one of the best PU in the business and they would hold Works Status only for a year and then again be customer team. Do you think the risk of such a deal is worth the reward....

To change Engine Suppliers is a huge undertaking for any team. You need to change the engine fitments, ancillary systems, re-design the car for optimum aero performance around the new packaging etc.. All this costs money, time and resources in a time where all three are scarce. Do you really believe that McLaren would go through all that just to have a works deal for one year and then be back to square one???

On the flip side, do you think Honda would invest Millions of dollars in McLaren (as point out earlier by you), take their input to create a bespoke engine for them and then just forget about that investment all together and write it off?

I know the counter argument that Williams did it and Lotus will do it next year. But you have to remember that Williams had data from Renault and Mercedes to compare where they were with their respective PU and based on that they made a decision. Williams have acknowledged that. Lotus knows now how superior the Merc engine is and hence they are making a switch.

adrianjordan

I think for Williams it was less of a risk this season as well since everyone had to repackage new PU's so the disadvantages of doing so were mitigated to some extent.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sasha
Sasha

I think you think that I'm stating that Honda would leave Mclaren or Mclaren would lose Works status after one year.

NO.......I'm stating that if Mclaren doesn't get the drivers that Honda wants by 2016 and RB ask for their PU,it would happen at semi-works level.But what Honda wants is Mclaren to get its ship in order and hire top drivers and then sell customer PU to a junior team as a driver feeding system.

Red Bull and Honda have a very good relationship in Motocross and MotoGP.

Pierce89

CjC wrote:Good one Sasha, real mature reply!

Did you miss the news that Red Bull will consider either running Renault engines or build their own with an independent German or Austrian engineering company? Nothing about using honda power plants.

What if mclaren make a stunning car and honda are way down power and have horrendous fuel economy? Do mclaren have the right to throw in the towel with honda, as you have suggested honda have the right with mclaren?
Technically, both sides will have performance clauses, but neither would cancel completely. I just don't believe Mclaren's works deal gives them a veto over who Honda can give customer engines to. Sure, Mclaren's contract makes them the only "works" team, but if Honda wants to give Red Bull a "customer" engine I doubt Mclaren can prevent it or prevent Honda from making Red Bull a semi-works team but without official "works" status.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

lio007

What happened to Tim Goss? It's already quite a long time that I've read anything in the media.

Thunder

According to their Website he is Technical Director.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/management/
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

The restructuring at Mclaren is not just about recruiting engineers from other team, but also investing in their tools in Woking. I found a very interesting information by checking Mclaren-Jobs website. It looks that they upgraded their wind tunnel from Woking, now they have a 60% wind tunnel model. We know that they used the wind tunnel from Koln, because their wind tunnel were all just 50% scale, and they let Marussia to use them. It was rumours 2 years ago that they will have a new wind tunnel in the new Mclaren Applied Technologies Center, but the building was never constructed. It seems now that they took the Mercedes way by upgrading the existing wind tunnel into a 60% scale.

"Job Opportunities at McLaren Racing.
Details of Vacancy for Aerodynamics Design Engineer (11 Weeks Contract)
Job Purpose: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for an Aerodynamic Design Engineer on a 11 weeks contract; you must be available to start on Monday 18th August 2014. You will be based in our amazing McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, Surrey. The purpose of the role is to design wind tunnel model test projects for our 60% wind tunnel model.
Source: http://www.mclaren-jobs.com/