Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lasse-E
Lasse-E

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Thunders wrote:https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/540548682673033216

The Story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 1408966035

Don't know what to say anymore.... It's just getting tiresome like the Alonso Farce.
I don't know, whether to laugh or cry at this point ?

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

This is now ridiculous. I know there's a power struggle going on and obviously the stakes are enormous but I really feel sorry now for JB and KM. I think if JB has options in WEC he should walk away now.

There might be a game being played here to keep the focus on McLaren in Ron's bid to drag in a new sponsor and until that sponsor signs the board are holding Rons balls in a tight grip. But I do suppose any news is good news..............even if it's bad and McLaren are certainly news at the moment.

McG

I hope Alonso isn't causing problems already. As in contract negotiations, but that's what it seems like. I'm thinking Alonso wants more money, more freedom, number 1 status, the car designed around him and probably Button out. Are McLaren going to do all this for Alonso?

Alonso doesn't have anywhere else to go does he?

We will know soon. Personally I would like Button and Alonso with Kevin sitting a year out. Button is in great form.
F1 is dead.

Thunder

I don't think it has much to do with Alonso. There is some sort of Power Struggle going on at McLaren.....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

xpensive
xpensive

It's obvious that McLaren are in financial trouble and is looking for a pay-driver, he should perhaps call Pastor or Magnus?

Oh he already did?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

BTS
BTS

May be Alonso hopping for a 3rd Mercedes drive :?

kooleracer
kooleracer

xpensive wrote:It's obvious that McLaren are in financial trouble and is looking for a pay-driver, he should perhaps call Pastor or Magnus?

Oh he already did?
Before the Honda deal a lot people assumed that Honda would fill the financial gap Vodafone left behind. It's looking now like the choice between Magnussen and Button is about money. Ron Dennis was in Denmark trying to sign LEGO (Danish company). It's obvious Ron wants to make a case for taking Magnussen. If he can find a big Danish title sponsor he can make the argument that Magnussen is cheaper and brings a lot of money with him and he is the future. If they wanted a good pay driver they never should have sacked Perez. Perez would have done a better job this year for sure. McLaren's rash decision to ax Perez is biting them back hard. Because Perez could have brought a title sponsor and a lot of Telmex associated sponsors with him (Another poor decision under the Whitmarsh regime, or was it Ron who pushed for K-Mag?). Honda definitely want Button, Japanese people are massively loyal and almost never ditch their drivers. Look at Sato still a Honda driver after all these year. Also their MotoGP test driver Stoner they still use him, so i'm pretty sure Honda is in favor of Button.

Personally I would go with Button and Alonso and try to give Magnussen a reserve role at Force India or Williams both teams give their 3rd drivers a lot of FP1 drives during the season. Vandoorne should take the place of Gary Paffett. Jenson showed towards the tale end of the season that he can score points in a reasonable car if you have two of them in your car you could Finish 2nd or 3rd next season if Honda makes a good PU.

Kevin Magnussen had a mediocre season, not the rookie season that I hoped for it started great and I thought if he can keep this up he certainly is McLaren driver for the future. But his first drive was his best drive and you could almost call it a fluke or a flash in the pan.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Thunder

I just hope Ron, Jonathan and Eric have another Meeting tomorrow where the final Decision will be made, followed by an Announcement on Friday, Monday or Tuesday.
#aerogollum

xpensive
xpensive

I'm certain that Alonso would just love to drive a LEGO-McLaren...Ron should wake up and go for the real Danish thing!

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Avocado
Avocado

xpensive wrote:It's obvious that McLaren are in financial trouble and is looking for a pay-driver
kooleracer wrote:It's looking now like the choice between Magnussen and Button is about money.
You know what is the most hilarious thing here? Some people actually believe that. Ahahaha...

prince
prince

An established company like McLaren with great credibilities not paying acute attention for its reputation, is hard to digest. No doubt, there might be some great uncertainties in their choices, but to have gotten dragged into such a miserable situation, I am sure it would be of great shame for them. They did the same to Sergio Perez last season and ditched him at last moment possible only for him to be lucky enough to grab a seat at Force India. This time, they have completely made mess of their drivers' dignity; one by having taken their careers for granted and two, without showing any signs of courtesy by not having issued any public statements, which could guarantee some respect to those whose careers involved (I am also talking about the garage crew of the drivers, assuming they are also involved in this anxiety; many of whom might also get laid off due to the arrival of Alonso's crew).

If McLaren come back and give Alonso's contract negotiation as a reason for the delay, it would be the worst reflection of their professionalism and the lowest they can fall. Good organization do not work by putting all their eggs in one basket and sacrificing the hard earned public reputation due to one freak scenario of an individual's contract negotiation affecting them so badly. As an established and reputed organization, they should have made some hard decisions by forcing Alonso to get out his contract at a time that is convenient for them and not other way round.

Let's imagine they do get Alonso and sort out driver scenario, albeit with the price of at least one or both their drivers' careers, IF they go on to fail next year and cannot see any signs of success; I am sure, by this time next season Alonso would be more eager to get out of the rut and look for better pastures.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the people who have got caught in this mess and only hope they get their dues with dignity.

WaikeCU

xpensive wrote:I'm certain that Alonso would just love to drive a LEGO-McLaren...Ron should wake up and go for the real Danish thing!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... VGgsZqRTCL
*cough*

Richard
Richard

*cough* They're already sponsored by Johnnie Walker.

Pick another dane....

WaikeCU

Richard wrote:*cough* They're already sponsored by Johnnie Walker.

Pick another dane....

Forbes no.142 at the Top 2000 biggest public companies.

Thunder

Maersk is a huge Company but i can't see anything they could achieve with a F1 Sponsorship.
#aerogollum