Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Why do people think that Ron and Ross wouldn't get on? I think they probably admire each other so much that they would have so much respect going on it would be above anything else.
F1 is dead.

Holm86

If I remember correctly, a few years ago McLaren launched a dark/black teamwear collection. Which caused the media to speculate that the car would be a dark chrome/black color. I think this was after the buy-out from Mercedes. But McLaren publicly denied that the livery would change. And it didnt.

Now there is alot of media speculation that they will be without sponsor and the car all silver. And McLaren stays silent.
This could either be to have a larger impact at the launch. Or because there really isnt any sponsor.

I believe and hope the former.

Thunder

Jonathan Neale on GpToday.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4760 ... Larens_MD/

No Title Sponsor, but bigger Budget than ever. Sounds awesome. More McLaren in McLaren. 8)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

Thunders wrote:Jonathan Neale on GpToday.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4760 ... Larens_MD/

No Title Sponsor, but bigger Budget than ever. Sounds awesome. More McLaren in McLaren. 8)

I just hope they will start going in the right direction and put a great challenge this year for wins and why not a championship :)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

kevski
kevski

They had no title sponsor in 2006 either, did they?

Pup
Pup

Isn't that the year they added Jonnie Walker? Surely they paid more for that season to get the side pod spot, even if it wasn't title-sponsor money.

It will be interesting to see what they put on the side pods of the 29.

So, they'll run at a loss this year. At least they passed the crash test yesterday.

Oh, and Martin won't be in Jerez. His duties to be taken by, um, Sam Michael... :?

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... id%3D55687

adrianjordan

Pup wrote:Isn't that the year they added Jonnie Walker? Surely they paid more for that season to get the side pod spot, even if it wasn't title-sponsor money.

So, they'll run at a loss this year. At least they passed the crash test yesterday.

Oh, and Martin won't be in Jerez. His duties to be taken by, um, Sam Michael... :?

Who's to say that they're running "at a loss"?? And if that's the case, how is that any different from Ferrari or Red Bull where the parent company pays in most of the operating budget?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Pup
Pup

Because that's the way accounting works. The auto division could throw in with a big sponsorship for the year to cover the budget, but there's no reason to do that, other than to make the team look better on paper. And from an investor and marketing perspective (and probably financial), it would be far better for the auto division to look good than the team.

Neale didn't say anything about the investors putting in more money. If he had, then I'd be worried. Instead, he seems to be saying that the team has the funds to run at a loss for the season, and the investors are O.K. with that. That's a good thing that the team is that strong - but it's nothing to celebrate.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

adrianjordan wrote:
Pup wrote:Isn't that the year they added Jonnie Walker? Surely they paid more for that season to get the side pod spot, even if it wasn't title-sponsor money.

Who's to say that they're running "at a loss"?? And if that's the case, how is that any different from Ferrari or Red Bull where the parent company pays in most of the operating budget?
it was mentioned several times before that vodafone did a step-out-early buyout that was worth 50% of the contractual sponsorship money for 2014.

that means on [title] sponsorship, they'll 'just' miss out 50% of what Vodafone would have payed them for '14.

In the meantime, Mclaren may run without actual title sponsor for 2014, because of contractual agreement with either vodafone, or their new title sponsor. That doesn't mean a title sponsor hasn't been signed, and that Mclaren isn't recieving payment for 2014. It's all in the contractual agreements.

Yet, all this speculation about mclaren running without title sponsor is still fishing in thin air. they may run without one, but they may run with one just aswell. either way, it's not like they're in such dire need that they can only survive if they have a title sponsor.
They paid a 100 million dollar fine a couple years ago, didn't seem to hurt them one bit so missing out 50% sponsorship money for 2014 is hardly a sweat.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FW17

I think the bigger budget is because the team did not utilize the entire 2013 budget

Pup
Pup

Their budget typically increases a certain amount each year, and I'm sure with the rule changes, they assumed increased development costs this season as well. My guess is that the budget was set months ago.

dren

Is Honda money already flowing in?
Honda!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i assume not, since they're still running MB engines, they're not advertising honda on the car.
without doubt Honda will be cooperating with Mclaren already in collecting valuable data and research for
the 2015 competitor and they'll be working closely together to analyze data of the 2014 season for their
benefit.
I don't think they'll really put in money already, but probably invest personel and knowledge.

Only way i see them bringing in money is behind the screens because of the missing title sponsor for 2014, if
for some contractual base there is an agreement there - which i doubt. Mclaren doesn't miss the 50% titlesponsorship
money at all.

I'm sure as of 2015 Honda will give them big investment. Mclaren will get engines 'for free', but Honda benefits from
their collaboration in more ways then one. I personally assume Honda is simply their title sponsor for next year i think.
The Brand honda is highly valuable, and putting the Honda logo on the sides will benefit them immediately.

The entire Mclaren-Honda relation sounds golden and is a golden plan for $$. It'll be the discussion point of the entire year, in advance, during, and after and they'll get their PR guys to make the best out of it, and that's without even discussing the technical advantages for both brands.

The only title sponsor rumoured to be in the running, and could make sense, is Sony. Sony Mclaren Honda sounds like a possibility. But if we look at Ferrari, then a 'title sponsor' is missing there aswell. It's Scuderia Ferrari F1.
So just Mclaren Honda F1 as of 2015 sounds reasonable. I'm sure Honda is in for the long run, so this partnership can last for over a decade without worries.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dren

The rumor is they have a new sponsor signed but because of another sponsor's contract for 2014 it can't be on the car for 2014. So that leads me to believe Honda is the sponsor and they can't/won't put their bigh HONDA on the car with a Mercedes engine in the back.
Honda!

Juzh

dren wrote:The rumor is they have a new sponsor signed but because of another sponsor's contract for 2014 it can't be on the car for 2014. So that leads me to believe Honda is the sponsor and they can't/won't put their bigh HONDA on the car with a Mercedes engine in the back.
That would make sense.