Force India VJM07 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
daveyrace

Re: Force India VJM07 Mercedes

Mr.G wrote:
daveyrace wrote:Some interesting cooling fins on the body of the rear brake caliper, with a stick on temperature sensor marked by a green arrow. They also appear to have a silver metallic heat shield on the hub. It would be great to see what the inside face of the rear wheel looked like. There do no appear to be these fins on the front wheel assembly.
http://i.imgur.com/wmU8jeG.jpg
I don't think that are cooling fins, looks more like paint to me.
It is hard to tell from that angle, if as you say it is paint, why would they paint many thin black stripes on the caliper body? Not saying you are wrong it just seems a weird thing to do. This needs better pictures, more input.

Were FI already able to run the callipers at the bottom of the wheel in previous years?
If not, then maybe the fins/grooves (that's what they look like to me to) are part of a brake cooling upgrade to allow them to run the callipers at that angle...?
Last edited by Steven on 02 Feb 2014, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove quoted post right above

i70q7m7ghw

daveyrace wrote:Some interesting cooling fins on the body of the rear brake caliper, with a stick on temperature sensor marked by a green arrow. They also appear to have a silver metallic heat shield on the hub. It would be great to see what the inside face of the rear wheel looked like. There do no appear to be these fins on the front wheel assembly.
http://i.imgur.com/wmU8jeG.jpg
My guess would also be that these were for cooling. Increase the surface area of the caliper, exactly the same principle as a heat sink.

Sevach

Double decker Monkey Seat, Aerodynamicists never disappoint :D

BlackSwan

[quote="stefan_"]It can look like s**t as long as it's fast.

2014 Winter Testing Session 1 / Day 1 - Jerez de la Frontera, Spain (28.01.2014)

http://i.imgur.com/1KmLP1h.jpg

Hi everyone,

it is a sort of covering made by aluminized kapton IMO. Do you thing that is only to protect the composite matrix from the hot exaust gases? Or could it be used to create a sort of thermal boundary layer between the monkey-seat? :)

Owen.C93

It's heat protection lmao.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

SectorOne

Gold?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

acosmichippo

why were they on inters? did it rain? or was it because temperature was so low? I thought that's why Pirelli brought a special winter tire...

Godius

acosmichippo wrote:
why were they on inters? did it rain? or was it because temperature was so low? I thought that's why Pirelli brought a special winter tire...
Those pictures were from one of their first installation laps. It's not unusual for teams to use inters for installation laps.

Forza

Jerez T01 - Day 2

danielk

reports on them stopping out on track with smoke coming out............. first engine failure? that wont be good.

Merc must be worrying

Owen.C93

danielk wrote:reports on them stopping out on track with smoke coming out............. first engine failure? that wont be good.

Merc must be worrying
Well Renault failed in the pits so I don't think they mind too much. Good news for Merc seems to be that it didn't catastrophically fail so they should be able to investigate.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Godius

Here's an interesting birds-eye view of the car which puts the side pods in a better perspective:

Forza

Jerez T01 - Day 2

Blackout

Very similar to 2013 Lotus FW. but interesting small outwash fins near endplates and the wheels