Sauber C33 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Sauber C33 Ferrari

Jerez - Test 1 - DAY 3

Artur Craft

mkable1370 wrote:Can anyone explain why the Sauber has so much larger sidepods than the Ferrari F14-T if they use the same power unit? Assuming they must be using the same radiators and intercooler set-up, so is the sidepod shape strictly down to the individual teams' aero ?
Sauber had an extremely narrow sidepod last year that caught the eye of everybody. I doubt they would have changed it if they could've kept it. I think it must be some kind of PU requirement and that Ferrari took a gamble on it and risked more with theirs... The season will tell us

edit: Scarbs says the contrary of what I said before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwy7KiARhyE

I didn't have time to take much notice of other cars in detail. Mostly I just saw their nose solutions and laugh and that was it. Apparently, Ferrari engine might require less cooling than Mercedes as Scarbs says Ferrari and Sauber sidepods are smaller than Mclaren, Mercedes, Force India.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Didnt realize until i saw Ted talk about it on development corner but Saubers air intake above the driver is only supported by those pylons there and then WAY back joins the engine bay/rear cover of the car, a much bigger space between the intake and the structural cover of the rear.

slimfitcasual

I'm wondering the aero/downforce advantage the FJM07's nose could conceivably have over the C33. Two similar concepts, Sauber's being more aesthetically pleasing.
Per ardua ad astra

Artur Craft

Tbh with you, I only see Caterham with undoubtfully more airflow going into the teatray than Sauber.

Sauber, Mclaren, FI, Williams and STR are more or less the same with the amount of airflow going under the nosecone.

What I don't get, or maybe they didn't get, is the nose design of Mercedes and Ferrari. Atm, I don't see any flaw with Sauber design. It must be said that obviously we only have a very superficial view on this but, on such level, the design path of C33 seems ok.

They said in their launch's PR that they designed the car to be very flexible in order to make it easier to implement eventual changes throughout the year.

As always with new regulations, the teams will always keep an even closer look into their rivals and eventually the designs will somewhat converge. The cars are very different now but the "better design paths" will surface rather sooner than later

trinidefender
trinidefender

Disgrace wrote:Could someone explain what's behind Sauber running an asymmetrical rear wing? It appears as though they have run the symmetrical version with two dips in the wing, then two others with a single one on either end.
Going through I accidentally clicked the down vote on the post in the quote can a mod remove it or somebody else up vote it to put it back neutral.

timbo
timbo

trinidefender wrote:
Disgrace wrote:Could someone explain what's behind Sauber running an asymmetrical rear wing? It appears as though they have run the symmetrical version with two dips in the wing, then two others with a single one on either end.
Going through I accidentally clicked the down vote on the post in the quote can a mod remove it or somebody else up vote it to put it back neutral.
Just did it.

Bikeman
Bikeman

Sauber had only very little of their aerodynamic parts on the car (for example the missing sidepod vanes). They were mainly running system checks and not goining to the limits yet. The missing aerodynamic stuff might also be the reason, why Sutil crashed twice. I'm wondering, how much faster the car will be, once it is fully dressed and how much the overall apperance will change.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Bikeman wrote:Sauber had only very little of their aerodynamic parts on the car (for example the missing sidepod vanes). They were mainly running system checks and not goining to the limits yet. The missing aerodynamic stuff might also be the reason, why Sutil crashed twice. I'm wondering, how much faster the car will be, once it is fully dressed and how much the overall apperance will change.
What do you mean by missing aero parts and that leading to Sutils crash ? You think a few sidepod vanes would stop him from crashing?

Sebp

Speculation warning:

I am of the opinion that the incidents more likely had their roots within the new braking system. The rear breaks don't have a hydraulic link to the brake pedal anymore. So there will have been a lot of fiddling around with the software during these test days. Ergo, call IT and not the aero department.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Blackout

The C33 ran without rear wheel winglets too. It would be the first time an F1 car removes them since 2009 AFAIR

Bikeman
Bikeman

Huntresa wrote:.. What do you mean by missing aero parts and that leading to Sutils crash ? You think a few sidepod vanes would stop him from crashing?
.. well, I assume they had not the downforce as others and I guess the general behavior of the car was not as it would be. Therefore it might be harder to keep it under control. Don't missunderstand me, I'm not searching for excusses for Sutil. Loosing the car twice is kind of.. #-o .. the expression "leading" might not have been the right word, sorry, English's not my I mother tongue.. Anyhow, my maininterest is, how much speed they gain with all the aero parts on it.
Last edited by Bikeman on 03 Feb 2014, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Sebp

Gutierrez was 3 seconds slower on his fastest lap than Sutil on his.

dren

Sebp wrote:Speculation warning:

I am of the opinion that the incidents more likely had their roots within the new braking system. The rear breaks don't have a hydraulic link to the brake pedal anymore. So there will have been a lot of fiddling around with the software during these test days. Ergo, call IT and not the aero department.
They still do for safety reasons.
Honda!

Sebp

dren wrote:They still do for safety reasons.
Okay, my bad.
11.7 Rear brake control system :
The pressure in the rear braking circuit may be provided by a powered control system provided that :
a) The driver brake pedal is connected to a hydraulic master cylinder that generates a pressure source that can be applied to the rear braking circuit if the powered system is disabled.
b) The powered system is controlled by the control electronics described in Article 8.2.
From here:
http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... -12-09.pdf

I don't think that changes the essence of what I was getting at though. Maybe they were testing the emergency hydraulic circuits.