What can be done to make the engine louder?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
McG

What can be done to make the engine louder?

Seems like it is going to change but what can be done technically to make it louder?

I don't have a clue what could be added but I hope it doesn't affect any teams performance negatively.

In my opinion they they should have allowed much higher revs and multiple exhausts. I'm actually not too bothered about the sound. Just hope they come up with a pure way of increasing the sound rather than a kind of fake way. There's too much fake stuff going on already.
F1 is dead.

beelsebob

Re: What can be done to make the engine louder?

Why on earth would you make the engines louder? Louder engines implies wasted energy, which is exactly the opposite of the goal of the rules.

el-Magico

They can install speakers in the car, that produce a V12 or V10 sound like back in the days..
Source example: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20 ... ng-stereo/
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

McG

el-Magico wrote:They can install speakers in the car, that produce a V12 or V10 sound like back in the days..
Source example: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20 ... ng-stereo/
Or play Rage Against The Machine instead of an engine sound.
F1 is dead.

rjsa

beelsebob wrote:Why on earth would you make the engines louder? Louder engines implies wasted energy, which is exactly the opposite of the goal of the rules.
Car racing is wasted energy, so shut it all down and move on!

mrluke

beelsebob wrote:Why on earth would you make the engines louder? Louder engines implies wasted energy, which is exactly the opposite of the goal of the rules.
What part of a megaphone style exhaust would waste more energy?

McG

mrluke wrote:
What part of a megaphone style exhaust would waste more energy?
Wow I didn't even think about such an obvious way of increasing the volume. Quite sad it might have got to this stage!
F1 is dead.

MOWOG

How about adding 4 cylinders? :P
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Aren't the cars running around at ~12k rpm at the moment?
(15k permitted)

Why not add some incentive to use full revs and get +25% engine rotations per minute a peak?
E.g. maybe additional ERS boost to offset the inefficiencies of running the ICE up that both?

Might not be easy to come up with/legislate for the incentives, but it's one way to produce a bit more noise.

Holm86

There is no more fuel burned at 15.000 rpm than at 10500 rpm. So increasing the revs will only change the sound. Not increase the volume.

And I don't see how a taper on the exhaust pipe like a megaphone would increase sound volume either.

Harvey

I know it's been asked already, but why does it need to be louder?

What would those extra decibels add to the show that is currently missing?

bhall

MOWOG wrote:How about adding 4 cylinders? :P
I like the cut of your jib.

Really, though, I think any steps taken solely to alter or amplify the sound the of the engines would be just as artificial as DRS, mandatory tire compound use, and all the other nonsense that's popped up lately. And this is coming from someone who absolutely abhors the exhaust note of the new power units.

At what point do these sorts of machinations become an insulting caricature of a sport more interested in trading on its legacy than building upon it? (Are we there yet?)

Besides, what made the sound of the previous engines truly special was the way in which it was created. Any sound can be synthesized. But, would you rather hear the sound of a high-rev engine screaming around a circuit or would you rather hear an actual high-rev engine screaming around a circuit?

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be a Formula One fan. EDIT: Well, not really. But, I do often question why I'm a fan.
Last edited by bhall on 19 Mar 2014, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

Gridlock

Ironically Bernie is the one who could probably fix this all by himself for 99.99999% of viewers, seeing how all the trackside mics and sound desks belong to him ;)

NTS
NTS

They should just pick a better place for the microphones for the TV recording and mix that channel a little louder. The sound is not nearly that bad in the videos shot by viewers of the testing, so the TV guys did something wrong.

AnthonyG

Bolt the v8 back in.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel