2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FrukostScones

Re: 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

basti313 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:my predictions:
10.GRO
11. PER? It is always good to have the groper on the grid ;)
not grid results, race results. Groper gropes gropefruits.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

liveforf1
liveforf1

in terms of predictions, i admit to being a fan, but based on Hamilton's comments about not being comfortable with the brakes last year and subsequently saying this is the best car he's driven, i expect him to be further ahead of Rosberg in qualifying on this circuit, which Alonso described as being one of the toughest under braking.
as far as the race i don't know what order but i expect a Mercedes 1,2. i think Kimi sounds very positive heading into this weekend for a podium. Alonso will have something to say in the race also. Horner has pretty much said the straightline speed nature of this track really favors the Mercedes engine.

Richard
Richard

Dear friends,

It is with considerable sadness that I have to announce that a fellow member has been struck down with a clear case of fanboy delirium, the symptoms of this worrying disease are:

• Repeated comments about "we" as if they owned the team.
  • Denying reality, ie the favoured team are quicker than the cars that finished several places in front of them.
  • Attributing super-human powers to the TP that over ride the laws of the land.
  • Excess use of smilies, as if lots of smilies makes it OK to be irrational.
I have extended our sympathy to the afflicted member on behalf of all forum members. The cure for this crippling illness is to have plenty of rest away from F1, so the member will be in quarantine.

Fanboy delirium is a terrible scourge on the sport, I am raising money to help undertake research into possible cures. Please give generously, it will go to a good cause. :arrow: http://www.justgiving.com/I-fancy-going-to-the-bahamas

Richard[/i]

Darknight
Darknight

Good morning from Bahrain! The weather today is nasty. We had high winds and a thunderstorm last night and woke up this morning to a dust storm. Ill keep you guys updated on the weather if it changes today.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

richard_leeds wrote:Fanboy delirium is a terrible scourge on the sport, I am raising money to help undertake research into possible cures. Please give generously, it will go to a good cause. :arrow: http://www.justgiving.com/I-fancy-going-to-the-bahamas
Oooh, and I was just about to sponsor your bahamas trip. It seems however that you already have raised enough. Oh well, good for us both :lol:

bauc

Darknight wrote:Good morning from Bahrain! The weather today is nasty. We had high winds and a thunderstorm last night and woke up this morning to a dust storm. Ill keep you guys updated on the weather if it changes today.
So the weather gets crazy just in time for the first Bahrain Night Race ...... That is unusual isn't it? :o
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

dave34m
dave34m

Well a dust storm or thunder storm might just add a bit of interest to the weekend, God knows F1 need it this year

Juzh

On an unrelated note, DRS is absolutely ridiculously powerful this year with it's bigger slot opening. Whereas it used to be worth 10, maybe 15 kmh at best, it is now worth at least 20 kmh. I was watching some alonso onboards from malaysia and he peaked at 288 kmh on the back straights with no drs, but got up to 314 kmh with drs open.

gray41

I think DRS has been a bit underwhelming so far.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

basti313
basti313

gray41 wrote:I think DRS has been a bit underwhelming so far.
Yes. But for me it is not strange, that Bottas could not pass Massa or Massa Button. The cars are really hard to follow in Malaysia and so very hard to overtake...this was not believed when I said that in the Malysia Thread before the race as many guys were believing in many overtaking action due to the straights.
Now we have the situation, that this has even worsened compared to last year, this years cars are even harder to follow in fast corners.
Let's see what will happen in Bahrain, maybe we will see the real performance of the new DRS this weekend, but I somehow also doubt it. You can not follow through Turn 5,6 and 7 and breaking in Turn 9 is hard in dirty air. So the DRS on the backstraight will be useless for everyone, maybe except Redbull. On the main straight you still have the problem, that turn 14 and 15 separate strongly, so again no overtaking action between similar powered cars. All will be down to turn 4 again.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Juzh

basti313 wrote:
Yes. But for me it is not strange, that Bottas could not pass Massa or Massa Button. The cars are really hard to follow in Malaysia and so very hard to overtake...this was not believed when I said that in the Malysia Thread before the race as many guys were believing in many overtaking action due to the straights.
Now we have the situation, that this has even worsened compared to last year, this years cars are even harder to follow in fast corners.
This is probably because of reduced effectiveness of the narrower front wing, inducing even more severe understeer in dirty air compared to previous years. Also you can bet any money there won't be any overtaking in T4 as it used to be particularly in 2012 and 2013 since most of those overtakes were all out KERS abuse and catching the front car off guard.

DRS has been underwhelming for the same reason. While it is in itself much more powerful than in the past, you can't do much with all that extra speed because all the gains are in the top end. in years gone by, DRS passes were heavily assisted by kers boosts to help with acceleration in lower end. All this is gone now.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Juzh wrote:
basti313 wrote:
This is probably because of reduced effectiveness of the narrower front wing, inducing even more severe understeer in dirty air compared to previous years. Also you can bet any money there won't be any overtaking in T4 as it used to be particularly in 2012 and 2013 since most of those overtakes were all out KERS abuse and catching the front car off guard.

DRS has been underwhelming for the same reason. While it is in itself much more powerful than in the past, you can't do much with all that extra speed because all the gains are in the top end. in years gone by, DRS passes were heavily assisted by kers boosts to help with acceleration in lower end. All this is gone now.
Also cars aren't hitting limiter so drs not so effective. Personally I'm glad to be back to a time of no cheap overtakes and a meritocracy dictating position rather than gimmicks

Juzh

bonjon1979 wrote: Also cars aren't hitting limiter so drs not so effective. Personally I'm glad to be back to a time of no cheap overtakes and a meritocracy dictating position rather than gimmicks
Cars which were about to be overtaken weren't hitting the limiters before. Only attacking DRS'ed cars did. This excludes DRS trains of course.
This should be another reason for easier overtakes this year, but in reality is not, because no manual kers boost.

oT v1
oT v1

bonjon1979 wrote:Also cars aren't hitting limiter so drs not so effective. Personally I'm glad to be back to a time of no cheap overtakes and a meritocracy dictating position rather than gimmicks
surely that makes DRS more powerful.
The Power of Dreams

iotar__

bonjon1979 wrote:
Also cars aren't hitting limiter so drs not so effective. Personally I'm glad to be back to a time of no cheap overtakes and a meritocracy dictating position rather than gimmicks
Meritocracy of what, engine rules that favour 1 or 2 or 3 teams only? Surely it was on merit that Grosjean could barely get in front of car 2 s slower and not the engine situation. Alonso on Hulkenberg didn't look cheap to me - the only cheap or not overtake to speak of in Malaysia.

There's your "meritocracy":
http://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/ferra ... tory.shtml
Ferrari-plans-fia-talks-over-making-f1-a-better-spectacle
There's no merit in F1 only cheap marketplace and primitive lobbying including gullible masses. Of course the same as Red Bull's sensor nonsense it's for the spectacle and good of the sport and not mentality that if you can't win according to current rules - change the rules.