2-stroke engines

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
darksag3x

2-stroke engines

I wonder if 2-strokes could have entered F1 somehow, even though 4-strokes are indubitably more efficient

jgredline

no
To finish first, first you must finish.

manchild
manchild

Re: 2-stroke engines

darksag3x wrote:I wonder if 2-strokes could have entered F1 somehow, even though 4-strokes are indubitably more efficient
Moto GP, old 500 cc two stroke ≈ 200 HP

3000 cc two stroke ≈ 1200 HP

greenpower dude reloaded

I imagine it would be pretty hard to make a 2 stroke f1 engine that would be capable of running 2 gp weekends when you consider they get 20,000rpm+ out of a 4stroke i reckon the 2 stroke rpm wld be rediculously high, although.... i would love to see it - can u imagine the noise!!.

i really enjoy seeing people try new things like that (and i mean through application because the obv the 2-stroke engine has been around for a while now lol)

joseff

A 2- stroke V10 would sound like a rattly, farty 4-stroke V20 I guess.

The problem for a 3l, V10 2-stroke @20k RPM would be the exhaust packaging. Where would you put the 10 expansion chambers? In the end, the 50% extra hp should more than offset the aero deficit, though,

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It would be possible to construct a 2 stroke for GP racing, but I don't see it happening because of economic reasons.
It wasn't until the 60's did 2 strokes begine to make serious power, and be considered worthy for racing. But a number of factors never got it into F1. Mental inertia, the rules package, and the Cosworth all worked against it being in GP.
But moving ahead to the present day, 2 strokes, even though they make good power for their weight, are emissions nightmares. And for anyone to spend a lot of money developing a 2 stroke for F1, there has to be a reason. Sadly they can't be considered for production car applications. This is one reason why 2 strokes were dropped as the premier engine type for two wheels, the manufacturers wanted something closer to their production machinery, which are four strokes.
They are theoretically capable of achieving more RPM than their 4 stroke bretheren because of no valve train. They make less torque, but make lots of peak power. They also have a narrower powerband, which complicates matters.
As joseff commented, the packaging for all the expansion chambers would have a negative effect on aero requirements. But imagine, a supercharged H-10 ......... wicked.