New exhaust concept for F1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
idfx

New exhaust concept for F1

creating an exhaust concept.
----------

Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: 2014 Design

What's the purpose of that geometry?

simieski
simieski

That exhaust looks to have features found on commercial jet engines for reducing noise. Not really sure if that is what's needed!
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

idfx

Re: New exhaust concept for F1

I have a study: exhaust + exhaust valve
Last edited by idfx on 12 Apr 2014, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
----------

idfx

Lycoming wrote:What's the purpose of that geometry?
create some vórtices
thanks
images courtesy:Nuovi impianti eolici FloDesign Wind Turbine
----------

mrluke
mrluke

I'll bite...

Why / how would this be beneficial?

ecapox

Ummm..it looks like a ray gun.

Tim.Wright

idfx wrote:
create some vórtices
I always worry when I see painstakingly detailed renderings of a new idea...

If you want to slow the car down by introducing more drag, it would be easier to put a hoizontal barn door between the rear wing endplates.

BTW I'm sure this is illegal too. If I remember correctly the last 100mm or so needs to be a straight section of round tube.
Not the engineer at Force India

idfx

ecapox wrote:Ummm..it looks like a ray gun.
You are seeing a lot of star-wars movie. Sci-fi is inspiring, today; I'm no longer fan. One day, the movies were good. Now it's $ $ $ $ $.
Last edited by idfx on 13 Apr 2014, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
----------

idfx

mrluke wrote:I'll bite...

Why / how would this be beneficial?
I am analyzing. Everything depends on the speed; the inside and outside of the exhaust .
The vertices can result in speed, downforce, dirty air or vacuum.

I have to look at other things that are not my specialty.

This is a challenge
----------

idfx

Tim.Wright wrote:
idfx wrote:
create some vórtices
I always worry when I see painstakingly detailed renderings of a new idea...

If you want to slow the car down by introducing more drag, it would be easier to put a hoizontal barn door between the rear wing endplates.

BTW I'm sure this is illegal too. If I remember correctly the last 100mm or so needs to be a straight section of round tube.
Agree.
When I have an idea I share with everyone to have a direction. The joint experience helps me.
I'm trying to create some solutions for downforce on the rear.

You should show your idea, depending nor is illegal. Have the courage to expose their ideas encourages others to expose and discuss. Is part of learning. Do you agree?
----------

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

The mixing is not a new concept, but imo, will not have much advantage here. The primary benefit for aircraft that have echelons on the turbofan cover is that the mixing flow allows for a significant noise reduction

Holm86

NoDivergence wrote:The mixing is not a new concept, but imo, will not have much advantage here. The primary benefit for aircraft that have echelons on the turbofan cover is that the mixing flow allows for a significant noise reduction
So if mixing the flows reduces the noise, will separate the flows work the other way round?? For instance having a gurney flap (lacking a better word in this case) around the tailpipe exit. Could that increase the sound of the exhaust??

Lycoming
Lycoming

idfx wrote:

You should show your idea, depending nor is illegal. Have the courage to expose their ideas encourages others to expose and discuss. Is part of learning. Do you agree?
Doesn't him telling you that your design is both illegal and pointless part of the learning you speak of? It's not like he's discouraging discourse or just saying "yor idea is t3h sux", he's just explaining to you the issues with your design. Isn't that exactly what you wanted?

That aside, having an idea (make more vortices!) without a clear goal in mind (speed downforce? dirty air?) is putting the cart before the horse. And, as has been explained multiple times on this forum and by F1 engineers in various media, there is no good reason to intentionally create dirty air to try and slow down the guy behind you.

Meanwhile, instead of addressing his criticisms, you try and somehow make it seem like you're better than him just because you have the "courage" to show your design, as if he's afraid to do the same (spoiler alert: he's not)

idfx

Lycoming wrote:
idfx wrote:

Doesn't him telling you that your design is both illegal and pointless part of the learning you speak of? It's not like he's discouraging discourse or just saying "yor idea is t3h sux", he's just explaining to you the issues with your design. Isn't that exactly what you wanted?

That aside, having an idea (make more vortices!) without a clear goal in mind (speed downforce? dirty air?) is putting the cart before the horse. And, as has been explained multiple times on this forum and by F1 engineers in various media, there is no good reason to intentionally create dirty air to try and slow down the guy behind you.

Meanwhile, instead of addressing his criticisms, you try and somehow make it seem like you're better than him just because you have the "courage" to show your design, as if he's afraid to do the same (spoiler alert: he's not)

when I wrote: "is part of learning." I was referring to me, I'm here to be apprentice and student.
If you interpreted the text as an intention to offend someone, you are exaggerating. If I had the intention of offending someone would be more explicit. Their interpretation was exaggerated.

Tim.Wright when cited: ..."hoizontal barn door between the rear wing endplate"

I was very happy because I was studying the same thing.

Thanks for the link, hardly would find this 2010 post. The project he developed is inspiring, liked the work.

Can I develop an idea with him?
----------