Some vintage F1 videos

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Some vintage F1 videos

Thanks stefan...Some very interesting stuff there.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Williams retained defending world champion Keke Rosberg, but their number two seat, which had been occupied on a temporary basis by both Mario Andretti and Derek Daly in 1982 after the departure of Carlos Reutemann, was filled for 1983 by Ligier's Jacques Laffite. Ligier also lost Eddie Cheever to Renault, and replaced them with Jean-Pierre Jarier, signed from Osella, and Raul Boesel, formerly of March.
Osella filled Jarier's seat with Corrado Fabi, brother of Teo, who had raced for Toleman in 1982. Fabi was joined by fellow Italian debutante Piercarlo Ghinzani, who filled the seat which had been vacant since Riccardo Paletti's death in Canada.
The March team united with RAM Racing and became RAM March. As well as Boesel, Rupert Keegan was also replaced by the team, who shrunk to just one car, for Eliseo Salazar of ATS. The German team were also reduced to one car, run for Manfred Winkelhock who had driven alongside Salazar in 1982.
Tyrrell kept Michele Alboreto as their team leader after the Italian won for the first time at the last race of 1982. They replaced Brian Henton in the other car with American rookie Danny Sullivan.
The Brabham, McLaren and Lotus teams all retained both of their 1982 drivers - Nelson Piquet and Riccardo Patrese for Brabham, John Watson and Niki Lauda with McLaren and Elio de Angelis and Nigel Mansell at Lotus.
Renault held on to team leader Alain Prost but lost René Arnoux to Ferrari, and poached Cheever from Ligier to replace him. Alfa Romeo also kept their team leader, Andrea de Cesaris, but replaced Bruno Giacomelli with Mauro Baldi, signed from Arrows.
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/1983_ ... Brazil.wmv
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/1983_ ... A_West.wmv
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/1983_ ... France.wmv
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/1983_ ... Marino.wmv
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/1983_ ... Monaco.wmv
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SeijaKessen

strad,

Hope you don't mind me posting this here...

I uploaded the 1984 Italian Grand Prix last night to YouTube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXTdCVX3OfY[/youtube]

strad

Feel free..It's not my thread only by any means and we all need something to fill the wait for live action.
Sir Stirling Moss

SeijaKessen

In honor of Spa...here's one I uploaded awhile back...

1987 Belgian Grand Prix..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clIHIkzM-wU&feature=plcp[/youtube]

A cool onboard video from the 1986 Australian Grand Prix (not mine) of Johnny Dumfries in the Lotus 98T. The Turbo Renault sounded fantastic. I think the 2014 turbo engines are going to be disappointing relative to the 80s turbo engines.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhDFOM9GdEU&feature=plcp[/youtube]

strad

Spa has been the scene of so many things, but in 1978 ... what does he say at the end?
click photo to find out..
Sir Stirling Moss

SeijaKessen

1981 German Grand Prix.

Last time there was no chicane right before the Ostkurve.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUVtyGvBu8U[/youtube]

hollus

Very nice, thanks for posting it, SeijaKessen.

I watched it with interest since I started following F1 in 86 at a tender age and understanding it much later. I wanted to compare to what I know from more recent times.
Was this supposed to be a particularly good race? In that sense I was dissapointed.
I saw none of the action expected from the "golden years". The leaders were haunting each other for the whole race, true, but we had a faster car stuck behind a slower one due to a top speed deficit that nullified slipstreaming, that car eventually pulling away easily once in clean air, and cars without top speed deficit passing too easily in the straights. One could even see the difficulty to get closer than half a second to the car in front int eh first place. All of that is strangely reminiscent of modern times...
Unpredictability, yes, as the race was eventually decided by mechanical failures (this I did remember from the late 80s).
I also wanted to see the mythical Ostkurve before it was tamed, and saw a nice corner, like many we have now, but no obvious wow moments and the rest of the track could be described as long straights with a mickey mouse section where nothing ever happened.
I wanted to see wild slip-streaming duels, and found none.
I wanted to see longer braking distances and the consequent daredevil passes under breaking, but the (really long) barking areas didn't help and the one actually interesting pass happened because of traffic.
I don't want to sounds negative, but I saw nothing in this 1981 race that we don't have in the 2010s...

P.S. The ad at 57 minutes, that was truly unique 80's vintage :shock: :wink: , that we don't have in the 21st century!
Rivals, not enemies.

beelsebob
beelsebob

hollus wrote:Very nice, thanks for posting it, SeijaKessen.

I watched it with interest since I started following F1 in 86 at a tender age and understanding it much later. I wanted to compare to what I know from more recent times.
Was this supposed to be a particularly good race? In that sense I was dissapointed.
I saw none of the action expected from the "golden years". The leaders were haunting each other for the whole race, true, but we had a faster car stuck behind a slower one due to a top speed deficit that nullified slipstreaming, that car eventually pulling away easily once in clean air, and cars without top speed deficit passing too easily in the straights. One could even see the difficulty to get closer than half a second to the car in front int eh first place. All of that is strangely reminiscent of modern times...
Unpredictability, yes, as the race was eventually decided by mechanical failures (this I did remember from the late 80s).
I also wanted to see the mythical Ostkurve before it was tamed, and saw a nice corner, like many we have now, but no obvious wow moments and the rest of the track could be described as long straights with a mickey mouse section where nothing ever happened.
I wanted to see wild slip-streaming duels, and found none.
I wanted to see longer braking distances and the consequent daredevil passes under breaking, but the (really long) barking areas didn't help and the one actually interesting pass happened because of traffic.
I don't want to sounds negative, but I saw nothing in this 1981 race that we don't have in the 2010s...

P.S. The ad at 57 minutes, that was truly unique 80's vintage :shock: :wink: , that we don't have in the 21st century!
Yep, I +1ed you. The golden years of F1 are no more golden than we have now... That's not to say that the golden years weren't great, instead, simply to say that what we have now is probably the (equal) best F1 has ever been. People need to stop staring at the late 80s/early 90s with rose tinted glasses, what we have now is amazing!

bhall
bhall

hollus wrote:[...]
I saw none of the action expected from the "golden years".
[...]
Anyone who relies on funky tires and DRS to enjoy Formula One - and I'm not specifically addressing anyone, by the way - with the thought that those concepts seek to return the sport to the "golden years," or an era when overtaking was prevalent and parity was the rule, would be bitterly disappointed by what they saw if they could actually go back and see the "golden years." The notion that earlier periods featured more "action" is nothing more than a myth brought forth by the fact that most people used to read about grands prix after they happened rather than watch them live, and the sports writers who penned those articles were given to practice sensationalist storytelling from time to time.

This is why so-called "purists" decry what we're being served today. It bears absolutely no resemblance to anything Formula One has ever been, even though, by and large, most people have happily bought that bill of goods.

Contemporary Formula One is the bastard child of greed and apathy, which has resulted in the most expensive spec-series motor racing has ever known. It's propped up by artificial concepts that make a mockery of the groundwork laid by those who came before.

Frankly, I sometimes think it shouldn't be known as Formula One anymore. Formula Lazy is a more apt title.

SeijaKessen

beelsebob wrote: Yep, I +1ed you. The golden years of F1 are no more golden than we have now... That's not to say that the golden years weren't great, instead, simply to say that what we have now is probably the (equal) best F1 has ever been. People need to stop staring at the late 80s/early 90s with rose tinted glasses, what we have now is amazing!
I suppose if you like unimaginative, glorified spec racing, today is fantastic.

I suppose also, if you enjoy tires dropping off cliffs all of the sake of some notion that F1 must be about passing, today is fantastic.

If you like to see racing encumbered by a rule book that is more restrictive than a hungry anaconda, today is fantastic.

There's a lot of reasons the 80s and 90s were way better than the current product.

Keep in mind, I didn't post that video as some shining example of anything. I posted it for a friend more than anything else, but happened to post it here too.

For hollus, there are no corners left like the Ostkurve in F1. The notion that F1 has many "nice" corners these days is not really true. So many corners have been either tamed down, or the circuits no longer exist/host F1.

hollus

The more limited TV cameras of the time probably did no justice to it, and ground effect probably tamed it a bit. I take it that you have seen many races with the Ostkurve in it before a chicane made it a kind of straight?
So, please explain what made it special, what would normally go on there. In that video there were some slides, a good corner, but what makes it that different from Copse, Campsa or the old New Holland in Barcelona, or 130R?
What surprised me the most was probably the lack of action in all the other corners, how the cars couldn't follow each other through the chicanes, for example.

To those that used to watch at the time:
What used to be going on at the Ostkurve while it was a real high speed corner?
Rivals, not enemies.

strad

So sorry you do think the past is not worth watching or knowing about...
I understand though...Everything good is new and nothing old is worth a f&%k .
But you should take this conversation elsewhere please. Not the right venue.
Sir Stirling Moss