Some vintage F1 videos

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Some vintage F1 videos

Sobek:
I appreciate that..thank you. I post them in large part because so many younger people have not really been exposed to the earlier years. YouTube has really opened up the field. When I started such videos were not so readily available, but still, I think there is room for me ;) .
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

The 1952 Formula One season started after undergoing a rule restructure at the end of the 1951 season. In an effort to promote competition, and in particular to prevent a Ferrari dominated championship now that Alfa had withdrawn, the FIA ran Formula One under Formula Two rules. The changes worked and wealth of new teams sprung up, although none of them were able to challenge Ferrari.
click photo for video
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Sir Stirling Moss

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I know it's not logical, but the videos in color don't impact me as much as the ones in black and white. The Grand Prix and F1 era up until then have a certain romantic and illustrious appeal that seems to be lost on me when the color is introduced.

But nevertheless, I appreciate your effort to bring us these wonderful videos to us. Thank you!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

strad

Actually there is some color stuff back to pre-war. ;)
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

The 1953 F1 Season was in keeping with the Formula Two rules used for a second consecutive season. This meant that there was a small number of Formula One teams surrounded by numerous lesser formulae teams and, as with prior years, the F1 championship races were ran alongside Formula Two races. However, only the Formula One races would count towards the championship.

1953 was predicted to be a battle between the dominant Ferrari and the improved Maserati team. Fangio had made a full recovery from the injuries that saw him miss the 1952 season and spearheaded the Maserati team. Fangio was supported by his protege Onofre Marimon and the very quick Gonzalez. At Ferrari 1952 world champion Ascari was joined by Farina, Villeresi and new recruit Mike Hawthorn. Hawthorn’s fantastic performances in 1952 being enough to impress Enzo Ferrari.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

70s reviews offline
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

The 1954 F1 Season finally saw a review of the rules that stated Formula One races were run to Formula Two rules, and with that the restrictions to a 2.5 litre engine were out. The second big news story was that Mercedes would return to Grand Prix racing and they did so determined to win.

Mercedes signed Juan Manuel Fangio and it was clear from the off that they would pose a serious threat. Despite spending five successful seasons with the Ferrari marque Alberto Ascari decided he needed a stronger team and left for Lancia who were developing a new car.

As it happened neither Lancia nor Mercedes has their cars ready for the season opener in Argentina. At the beginning of the race Jose Froilan Gonzalez led in Nino Farina in the Ferraris but when rain hit Fangio passed and went on to win in a borrowed Maserati. Ferrari protested post-race that too many mechanics had serviced Fangio’s car during the pit stop (the maximum was three) but the protest was thrown out.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

The 1955 Formula 1 season opened with a promise of exhilarating competition between Mercedes, Lancia, Ferrari and Maserati. By the end of the season, both Mercedes and Lancia would suffer tragic driver losses and events would unfold which would result in Mercedes retiring from motor racing.

The season-opening Argentine Grand Prix proved to be one of the most gruelling events in Formula 1 history. Extreme temperatures led to no less than sixteen driver changes. Juan-Manuel Fangio drove his Mercedes to victory in his home Grand Prix, but suffered burns in the cockpit which left him permanently scarred. Maserati driver Roberto Mieres was the only other driver to complete the race distance on his own
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

The 1956 F1 season started without the Mercedes team who withdrew from 1955 leaving Fangio and Moss searching for new drives. Fangio joined Ferrari who’s cars were modified by Lancias for the ’55 season, while Moss searched for a British team but settled for Maserati.

Italian teams were again a dominant with Ferrari partnering Fangio with Luigi Muss, Eugenio Castellotti and Englishman Peter Collins, while in the Maserati camp Moss was supported by Jean Behra and Cesare Perdisa. Fangio would leave Ferrari at the end of the season to join Maserati having doubted the quality of the preparation.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

The 1957 Formula One season was the eighth season of FIA Formula One motor racing. Once again, Juan Manuel Fangio drove to victory, marking his fourth consecutive title and fifth in total – an astonishing achievement and one which would not be matched for nearly fifty years.

Both Fangio and Sterling Moss switched teams from the previous season. By this stage, Vanwall had developed their car into a serious prospect for the championship and Moss joined them to help refine the machine. Fangio, meanwhile, replaced Moss’ previous role and found himself driving the sensational looking Maserati 250F; a car which perfectly complimented his elegant driving style.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

The 1958 F1 season was the year that the Formula One Constructors championship was launched having been a driver only championship since its inception in 1950.
1958 was the year Englishman Mike Hawthorn finally won the world championship after a thrilling battle with Sterling Moss and Vanwall were victors over the Ferraris. The season however had both moments of elation and tragedy.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

I'll close with 59.
I was somewhat suprised at the lack of interest. I think it's quite amazing to watch the technichal advances and changes in design philosophies. oh bien
The 1959 F1 season started with the surprise withdrawal of the Vanwall team over the winter, just as it was reaching peak competitiveness. Nevertheless the British honour was upheld by BRM, Cooper and Lotus.

After the tragedies of 1958 Ferrari underwent big changes. Brooks joined from Vanwall and was joined by Behra from BRM. Phil Hill, who was an occasional Ferrari driver in 1958 but was awarded a full time drive for 1959. Sterling Moss meanwhile would split his time between Walker’s Cooper-Climax and BRM.
Climax had historically run smaller engines than some others but in 1959 the ran a full 2.5 litre unit. While the engine still gave away a little power, the chassis was excellent and boasted superior handling. With Argentina being cancelled the season opener was at Monaco where Behra led in the Ferrari until retiring, Moss’s Cooper then expired and Brabham swept by to take his first victory.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Strad videos are now offline. ](*,)
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

I have received mail from a couple of members over me ceasing to put up videos.
I am more than willing to share, but I cannot gauge if there is any interest if there are no comments, which there hasn't been.
Are these guys alone? Or is there an apparently silent group that enjoys them?
Should I post more..perhaps the 60s?
Sir Stirling Moss