1st topic ever

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
felipezsc

1st topic ever

Im just wondering if F1 should apply that really flat nose from IRL...i just thought of some random question to put on as a first post. hehehe

Steven
Owner

you mean something like this?

@Felipeszc : You're just too good :lol:

felipezsc

THATS IT!!

Yeah man, thats what im talking about! I should really put to use this ability to put pictures on forums. :lol: :D :P :wink: :twisted:

Monstrobolaxa

Well I know that one or 2 teams tried this arrangment out....in the 80's and beginning of the 90's (i think) and it just didn't work out.....but with all the changes in F1 in the last couple of years....you never know....

Anyway....I'm not to sure what the regs have to say about this......

felipezsc

true

you are right but didnt jordan have a design kind of like that during the years that frentzen won for the team?

Monstrobolaxa

actualy it was the year after that.....Frentzen won the Franch GP and Italian GP in 1999 and jordan tried something like that in 2000.....but it didn't work out! :P hahaha

Steven
Owner

well actually a low nose like on that pic would never get through F1 regulations at first.
Secondly... why do you think the high noses were introduced? Not because they looked funny at the time :wink:

This type of nose kind of reminds me to that flat Brabham car, think it was the BT55. All focused on the airflow over the car... anyways, point is that car at that time flopped because of enorrmous amounts of drag by the rear wing.

walter

The high nose design that is used throughout F1 is better than the ones used in IRL cars for a couple of reasons. First of all, by letting the front wing span all the way across without any interference from the nose gives more efficient airflow, and more downforce. Secondly, by raising the nose, more air is pushed into the radiator ducts, especially at slower speeds. IRL cars dont have to worry about this because they are usually going a lot faster at a more constant speed when compared to F1 cars. Due to the high speeds, they dont need such efficiency(which comes at a higher price, more weight and complexity) as F1 cars. The attack angle of the front wing is usually less than that of F1, and the radiator ducts are usually smaller as well. This is the reason why I appreciate F1 engineering much more than that of IRL.