2014 Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
prince

2014 Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring

2003 Qualifying Lap - Michael Schumacher

Last edited by prince on 11 Jun 2014, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

f1316

Re: 2014 Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring

Will be interesting to see how pole compares to 2003. In canada they were 8 tenths faster than 2003 and, whilst it's true people were qualifying with race fuel then, it still gives an indication that these v6 cars stack up fairly well with the 2003 cars - complete with the v10s.

Lap record will, of course, not be possible because of lack of refuelling, but also because michael's lap (and the circumstances which made him push so hard on low fuel) was so spectacular.

Harsha

What kind of Downforce levels teams will run here , Will they run a more DF than Montreal and Bahrain ?

mikeerfol

Will they still cut Turn 1? Button said he doesn't think so.

prince

Harsha wrote:What kind of Downforce levels teams will run here , Will they run a more DF than Montreal and Bahrain ?
I was watching one of the videos of pre-race analysis of 2003 race and it was being mentioned that, this is a race where little over 70% of the time it is full throttle over a lap. Lot of straights, few fast corners and couple of slow ones. So, I guess, it would be medium downforce (particularly for those fast corners). Otherwise, it is a power dominated circuit.

Harsha

prince wrote:
Harsha wrote:What kind of Downforce levels teams will run here , Will they run a more DF than Montreal and Bahrain ?
I was watching one of the videos of pre-race analysis of 2003 race and it was being mentioned that, this is a race where little over 70% of the time it is full throttle over a lap. Lot of straights, few fast corners and couple of slow ones. So, I guess, it would be medium downforce (particularly for those fast corners). Otherwise, it is a power dominated circuit.
2014 is hell of lot different with 2003 any way :)
But on topic i think ted said teams wanted to added wing so that they can get a better S2 and S1 , i wonder will that happen again considering the S2 turns

anzx

Probably similar to Bahrain....
It should be interesting race and let's hope that Renault will bring upgrades for his costumers.

andreag

The circuit map on first post is the 2013 project, the real 2014 map with a different sector layout is available on FIA's page:

http://www.fia.com/championship/fia-for ... ircuit-map

Kiril Varbanov

Here's the preview (Red Bull have raised the CGI bar too high, excellent job):

Bomber_Pilot

This is my second favourite race track, right after Spa. There has always been great racing here, since turns 1 and 2 provided great overtaking oportunities.

basti313

Bomber_Pilot wrote:This is my second favourite race track, right after Spa. There has always been great racing here, since turns 1 and 2 provided great overtaking oportunities.
Did they change anything at turn 8? Because this destroyed the overtaking opportunity in turn 1 in the past. Somehow like turn 1 in Barcelona.
I expect overtaking anywhere...turn 1 and turn 2 due to DRS, hard moves at turn 3 like in the past and Redbulls trying to overtake at turn 7, because they are to slow elsewhere. :D
[-o<
Don`t russel the hamster!

siskue2005

this is my favorite track in all the tracks, It is such a pleasure and rewarding to drive in rfactor and f1 challenge 2002
this is just nostalgic....i just love it here :D

iotar__

- Private GP of one of the teams, behold American wrestling F1. Sport where a team can co-own and co-run the whole circus on financial, sporting and technical basis, it can also own a track and a race. What are the chances of Red Bull getting any penalties compared to let's say Lotus or Force India?
- Hamilton will lead for a change and Rosberg will overtake him during pitstops, because Mercedes "learned" in Canada that giving faster driver (or unnecessarily overcooking brakes driver) same tyres and pitstop one lap later can give him a lead, imagine that.

- Track looks like simpler, faster, less developed Bahrain

wesley123

Most likely similar to Montreal. It could be done with higher downforce, but then the extra drag would have to be overcome on the majority of the track, which means an higher fuel consumption.

So therefore, medium would be best in my opinion.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

It's good to have more lower df tracks. It reduces downforce levels, which improve overtaking plus it makes low downforce packages less a waste of money.
#AeroFrodo