2014 Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2014 Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring

SiLo wrote:Look at that beautiful track set inside beautiful scenery. None of the new tracks can compare to stuff like this. I wish they would make some new tracks but set in the mountains so we get some scenery and more elevation changes.
Id imagine the do gooders would have something to say about building a race track in a setting like the A1 Ring, Spa, Monza and so on. It just wouldn't be aloud.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mikeerfol

SiLo

WilliamsF1 wrote:Did they build this extension to connect the old part of the circuit :?:
http://www.racertimes.com/news/wp-conte ... 7/a1-1.jpg
No they didn't, but I believe they really should as it looks like the layout fits with the old circuit, adds some much needed length to the track and an increase the places for spectators to sit.
Felipe Baby!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

so more artificial unneccesity. I don't understand why they invent so many artificial 'rules' and stuff, yet,
when they simply change some rules, they can go back to basics and get real action, real competition, real racing.

the 1-move rule (overpassing) threw overtaking nearly completely in the trash. We used to see great fighting on the track,
now nobody can defend. Any 'blocking' was 'rare' and perhaps more characteristic for a driver rather then common practice.
we got trulli trains (not just from trulli) because overtaking got 'ruled' and now it's artificially 'solved' by DRS (aka f**k-u-button [pardon my french])

Besides the 'causing a collision' rule is enough to throw the 'line rule' away. We could use some spectacular stuff going on, imho.

instead, we get artificial artificial artificial artificial. The whole F1 show is becoming faker and faker every day.

There are tons of innovations regarding safety around, but quite frankly, all these feats and accomplishments are thrown in the trashcan because the rules have suffocated F1 and now we're having last spams like DRS and now fake mag blocks. The inventors and racing purists would be turning in their graves (if they have passed away).

Sparks would be awesome, yes. but not artificially created. Back in the 'glory days' it was because the actual body touched ground, a side-effect of performance, not specifically tailored to give the audience something they don't even know they're missing.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

beelsebob
beelsebob

Manoah2u wrote:Besides the 'causing a collision' rule is enough to throw the 'line rule' away. We could use some spectacular stuff going on, imho.
What "line" rule? It was only ever some deluded fans that thought "he had the racing line" was a rule of some sort. It never has been, and never will be.

Cam

Does he mean the line of space? I'm genuinely asking as I'm not sure of the 'line' either.

“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

gray41

Does anyone have the link to the Press Conference today?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

I checked that ams.to/Dz link to make sure it wasn't an old article from April 1st. Turns out they were serious... #-o

Chuckjr

That's so disappointing. #-o :(

Edit: Next thing you know they'll pin a drivers homeland flag to the roll hoop to show the "amazing speed of the air".
Watching F1 since 1986.

AMG.Tzan

any photos of the sparks?? do they look like the 80s-90s?
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

astracrazy
astracrazy

Chuckjr wrote:
That's so disappointing. #-o :(

Edit: Next thing you know they'll pin a drivers homeland flag to the roll hoop to show the "amazing speed of the air".
all this proves is the fia/fom just don't get it
AMG.Tzan wrote:any photos of the sparks?? do they look like the 80s-90s?
http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/20 ... tv_images/ - image 2 for sparks

Tim.Wright

fake sparks, fake engine noise and more leniency on car to car contact.

It seem there is a particular direction that the sport is moving whether its intentional or not...
Not the engineer at Force India

thedutchguy

I don't understand the negative comments about the skid blocks? Remember that they were only removed after the wooden plank became mandatory in the nineties. Teams now run their cars (too) high to avoid excessive wear to the plank because that will lead to disqualification. Bringing back the skid blocks will not only bring back the nice sparks, but will also allow teams to run their cars lower and create more downforce -the right kind of downforce that doesn't add much drag!

Bring it on!

iotar__

I think they're mocking changes as an idea or the audience. Next time anyone mentions any changes mental image will include only ridiculous - gramophone tubes on exhausts doing predictably nothing or sparks generators. Thus real changes can be ignored. As for audience part they're rightly treating them as easily excited, easily distracted, easily forgotten simple bunch. Perfect example not pushing 100% hysteria that appeared manufactured when needed (tyres) and disappeared when not - engines, fuel saving.

It's nothing compared to "change" of stance on penalties. They are saying that they were given too often for small incidents and it resulted in low risk/reward ratio and drivers being conservative and not trying anything.
1. Thank for noticing F1's captains obvious, too little too late, you yourself benefited from BS penalties created that way
2. I didn't notice many complaining about it, on the contrary after Maldo-Gutti normal collision I've heard more calls for race bans, same for ridiculous Magnussen penalty or couple from Hungary 2013 (yes, I will repeat it) for nothing that are the prime examples of the trend. BTW since they noticed I'd love to learn examples of BS, unfair penalties, nothing?
3. It's changing rules during the game - will those from the past get their penalties scaled down? It also means nothing - they are doing it mostly to absolve themselves of any consistency, caused some problems last season with track limits, didn't it? Everything stays the same, they still can give penalty for nothing or ignore obvious collision under pretence of "new approach", depending on team/driver.

ecapox

Could we also introduce baseball cards in the wheels to give it that authentic sound. This may help attract boys, aged 6-12 or those of us wanting to wax nostaligc.