How are engines attached to the chassis?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jimeepop
jimeepop

How are engines attached to the chassis?

Does anyone have any links to pictures of that area?

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

They are a structural part of the chassis. The engine is bolted onto the rear bulkhead of the monocoque/chassis, and the gearbox is bolted onto the back of the engine.

Its a very old car, but it shows it reasonably clearly:

jimeepop
jimeepop

hey thanks. i kinda guessed that, but wasnt sure if they were able to directly bolt engines straight to the tub. I know they are made to break apart and thought that might fracture the tub if it was bolted to it.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

You can see 2 of the bolts from engine to chassis in that photo - one clear as day in the near top corner of the engine (mounted onto the shiny steel fixing on the chassis) The 2nd is just ahead of the 1st cylinder manifold out, you can see it tucked away in there.

dumrick
dumrick

If I recall correctly, the Ford HB V8 from 1989 was the first engine to bolt directly to the tub - to the Benetton B189-, not using those elements. From then on, I kind of supposed that recent engines bolted to the tub. I'm not sure, though.

scarbs
scarbs

I dont think they the ford HB V8 was the first, but many teams still use the metal insert bonded to the chassis, it depends on the shape of the engine and the rear bulkhead on the chassis.

manchild
manchild

Tom

Hey, that last one looks just like my AX :lol:
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It must be remembered that in Formula One cars the engine carries the loads, between the chassis and suspension. As far back as the Lotus 49 of 1967, the engine was rigidly mounted to the chassis.

jimeepop
jimeepop

thats what made me think of it. cause i know the engine is a structual part of the chassis and suspension but also needs to act as a deformable member as well. so i was curious as to how they fixed them.

those are some great pics above. thanks!

Robb100
Robb100

So how does one fit a new engine, like the new Honda V8, to an older tub not designed for that engine, like the Arrows 23(?)?

manchild
manchild

Robb100 wrote:So how does one fit a new engine, like the new Honda V8, to an older tub not designed for that engine, like the Arrows 23(?)?
For such experimental use with no hope for ultimate performace *adapter can be made which would extend the lenghut of the car for a couple of cm.

*on chassis side adapter has the holes and shape as old enine while on the engine side it has studs on positions that fit new engine.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

jimeepop wrote:thats what made me think of it. cause i know the engine is a structual part of the chassis and suspension but also needs to act as a deformable member as well. so i was curious as to how they fixed them.
In the event if a catastrophic crash with enough energy, the engine just tears off from the chassis. That takes energy, The suspension by then is most probably broken into thousands of shards of carbon fiber. But the engine usually remains in one piece, with no deformation properties as is. Of course the cam covers and exhausts get mangled, but the basic block is a just a big lump of metal, that hopefully comes to rest without inflicting human damage.