'95 Ferrari 412 T2, did it have power steering/brakes?

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1-76

'95 Ferrari 412 T2, did it have power steering/brakes?

Doing some research, trying to find out if the 1995 Ferrari 412 T2 had power steering and power brakes. Hard to find info on this, but it looks like power steering yes, power brakes, no?

Any help?
Last edited by F1-76 on 09 Aug 2014, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

Reca

Re: '95 Ferrari 412 T2, did it have power steerring/brakes?

Between 1994 and 2013 any powered device connected with braking system was illegal.

As for power steering, I would say yes is more likely but can’t confirm, on Piola’s technical analysis book of that season there’s no mention of power steering anywhere.

BTW, back in May on Monza’s track there have been couple of days of the Ferrari F1 Clienti and XX program, and amongst others there was also a 412T2.
“Luckily” for us on grandstand (not sure if owner was equally pleased...), he spun at first chicane and engine stalled. That allowed to assist to the always nice experience of a V12 brought to life and freely revving.

I would have a video of that but don’t know how to upload, so figured out this (higher quality) video someone else made same days could be a good consolation just to hear the baby scream a bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SoZiTx ... e=youtu.be

rich1701

According to the Ferrari website the first car with power steering was the F300 of 1998.
http://formula1.ferrari.com/cars/f300

F1-76

Thanks guys. Seems like it did not have power steering or power brakes then...

Andi76

rich1701 wrote:
08 Aug 2014, 23:47
According to the Ferrari website the first car with power steering was the F300 of 1998.
http://formula1.ferrari.com/cars/f300
Old threat, but again i have to make some corrections as the Ferrari website is wrong. The F310 B already had power steering and was the first Ferrari with power steering. In 1997 after Canada Ross Brawn said:"I'd like to see some feel come back into the steering. I think that the sensivity of the steering is not very good, which is something that may be hindering Eddie more than Michael. I want to have the steering more direct than it is right now. We are working on suspension geometry, part of which is to do with steering. At the moment the entry to a corner is very critical. We can't do anything about the middle of the corner as the entry becomes even more critical, so you're balancing. We can stop understeer in the middle by having a lot of oversteer on entry, which is not necessarily the best solution. So what we have at the moment is the best compromise between the two. We have a power steering system, which because of its design takes a bit of feel away from the driver. I want to try to bring that back. Its a pretty major package, involving a complete redesign of the front suspension. What we are looking for is a bit more stability on entry, and a bit more consistency between entry and middle."

So Ferrari obviously used a power steering system on the F310B in 1997 already. Most of the teams introduced power steering around 1996/1997. There were a few teams who even had power steering before(Ligier was the first team to use it in 1987) but i leave this out. So since the steering forces became higher and higher most of the teams introduced power steering in 1996/1997. Williams, Minardi(2001, i think)and Arrows(1999) were the last teams to introduce it. Williams introduced power steering in Imola 97, while the other Topteams like Benetton and McLaren had already introduced power steering in 1996.

Andi76

Re: '95 Ferrari 412 T2, did it have power steering/brakes?

F1-76 wrote:
08 Aug 2014, 14:51
Doing some research, trying to find out if the 1995 Ferrari 412 T2 had power steering and power brakes. Hard to find info on this, but it looks like power steering yes, power brakes, no?

Any help?
In Eddie Irvines book "Green Races Red" it is confirmed that the 412T2 indeed had power steering.