The new and improved ferrari

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wim10
wim10

The new and improved ferrari

Sawtooth-spike

is its just me of is that Honda's front wing?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Scuderia_Russ

They have moved to a spoon shaped wing which is similar to many teams, not just Honda.

Sawtooth-spike

yeah sorry, i said it looked like the honda wing cus i have a picture of a Last years BAR with that wing on my desk (mental note: change picture on desk). I guess as this is only an aero change, they will still be on a single keel layout?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

wkdtk
wkdtk

"Ok, let's see...
We'll take the Honda front wing...
Match it to the Renault rear wing...
and add a few of Toyota's winglets and nicknacks.
That should do it. We're ready for Bahrain." 8)
R.B.

Gone are the days when everyone else copied Ferrari.
Honestly and obviously... and honestly.

Scuderia_Russ

I think we are seeing everyone get so close to the aerodynamic optimum that not only are cars going to look very similar but similar solutions are inevitable.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Scuderia_Russ wrote:I think we are seeing everyone get so close to the aerodynamic optimum that not only are cars going to look very similar but similar solutions are inevitable.
I have to agree, they have long passed the point of innovation and now refining what everyone now knows. There are fewer choices. Do they go with the Mclaren long chord front wing solution, or copy Renault? Or do they go with single, double, or no keel. To me, those are about the only options.

bhall
bhall

Another picture.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

2 tier front wing too.....

jezzwa

Yay they finally got rid of the weird boxy wing thing :P that was ugly
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

ginsu
ginsu

It's all in the details...

...the front wing is alot different from what we've seen before. It looks like the best parts of the BAR wing from china last year, and the Renault wing. Because of the dramatic change in cross-section, there is probably some significant flexibility in the 'winglet' above the main plane of the wing. Either that, or the inner part of it is not supposed to make any downforce and is just there for structural reasons. The curvature is highly complex, so it could do some more interesting things under load. It really looks quite twisted from the endplate to the nose cone.

...the way the chimney blends with the winglet is quite interesting and should make for a significant drag reduction

...anyway, I like it alot, it shows that ferrari are doing some real development now, instead of that tacked on box section. god, i really
hated that. and i'm sure it wasn't all that efficient either.
I love to love Senna.

ginsu
ginsu

The 2006 Ferrari sports a particularly complex diffuser design. The central section is divided in two: the upper part (1) deals with the air passing immediately over the diffuser and that coming from inside the sidepods, the combination of the two increasing airflow speed. The lower part (2) improves underbody air extraction, with its steep upward angle. Either side of the central section is a new, additional channel (3), while the main side channels are divided into two sub sections by means of a single vertical fence (4). Near the inner wall of the rear tyres, a series of steps (5) in the diffuser's profile help to extract the turbulent air generated by the wheels, minimising its disruption of the main airflow passing under the diffuser's side sections.
I love to love Senna.

allan
allan

i think there is a new engine cover as well,
look at it, it's almost like a second layer over the engine-gearbox area, same solution used by renault
plus the new blended chimeny with the winglets
but what about the rearwing, is it different or not???

allan
allan

massa is on the old package

DarkSnape

Well Massa was testing the new rear wing design though the rest of the car seems to be unchanged