The speed of the Super GT/JGTC Car....

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

The speed of the Super GT/JGTC Car....

from dailysportscar.com
Team Goh Maserati Progress
With the Super GT season starting in just two weeks’ time, pre-season testing is in full swing.

The preparations for the introduction of Maserati to the domestic ranks have presented the opportunity for some fascinating comparisons between the MC12 and the leading GT1 racer from an ever so slightly earlier era.

Whilst the Team Goh MC12 tested only on the longer configuration of the Vallelunga circuit before being shipped out to Japan, circuit sources were prompted to recall some interesting statistics.

With the original MC12 being prepared to hit the tracks in 2004, Mika Salo produced a best lap of 69 seconds on the short circuit at Vallelunga. That compared very favourably indeed to the best time set back in 1998 by a Mercedes CLK-GTR, with 1999 updates, pedalled by Mark Webber, who set a best of 68 seconds in a car rightly regarded way back then as the cream of the GT1 crop. Remember of course that in 1998 terms the MC12 is a GT2 machine!

There is a similarly interesting comparison to be made between the Super GT spec car being shaken down for Team Goh on the long circuit and the FIA GT spec car when it tested on the same track configuration.

The FIA car with Pirelli rubber and the narrower wing set a best of 1:30.9, while the Team Goh-run Super GT spec. car, on Bridgestone rubber, set a best time an astonishing 2.8 seconds faster.

That's a telling difference, but it is unlikely to be enough for the big Maserati to trouble the factory backed Nissan, Honda and Lexus cars in GT500.

Kazumichi Goh had set the team a target of being a full 5 seconds faster than the FIA spec car if they were to take the fight to their Japanese competition, and there is still work to be done in order to close the gap.

The first Suzuka test with the Goh car saw that point of view very firmly endorsed, Seiji Ara posting a best effort of 1:55 in the Maserati, which compares unfavourably to the best posted by a team running one of the Nissan Fairlady Z GT500 racers - with a 1:52.4.

Perhaps more ominously still, sources suggest that a new spec. Honda NSX has posted a lap in an astonishing 1:51.6. Putting that in perspective it matches the pole time set by the Team Goh Audi R8 at the Suzuka 1000kms in 2001!

The pace of improvement in the GT500 cars is remarkable: the leading cars are now 2-3 seconds per lap faster than 4-5 years ago.

Mr Goh though is not downhearted: "I think we can find most of the difference. There is a little bit of work that can be done on aero with the rear gurney and a deck gurney and by modifying the dive planes a little. What we do have though is a very good car in the rain."

The work continued this week at T.I Aida but progress was slowed for Team Goh with an oil cooler failure, possibly linked to a minor vibration problem, or perhaps because the Italian thoroughbred responded badly to the almost freezing weather conditions.

Japanese customs officials haven't helped matters either, with a 3-4 day delay in the import procedure for the oil supply for the car.

A phone call to the Maserati importer revealed that the standard spec. of lubrication for the Ferrari Enzo, which of course shares the MC12’s basic DNA, would suffice.

You’ll be reading much, much more on the Super GT season to come here on dsc.
GG

Suzuka Test - Unofficial; Best Lap Times (22/23 February)
23 NISMO Z 1:52.34
22 AUTECH Z 1:52.72
8 ARTA NSX 1:52.79
12 IMPUL Z 1:53.05
66 Supra 1:53.35
1 CERUMO SC 1:53.51
350 NISMO Test Car(Z) 1:53.62
100 RAYBRIG NSX 1:53.78
430 TRD Test Car(SC) 1:54.35
6 Mobil 1 SC 1:54.57
51 MC12 1:55.03
32 EPSON NSX 1:55.66
25 Supra 1:55.69
1 sec slower than 2001 spec Audi R8 around Suzuka? In a 1100 KG Sillouette "GT" Prototype, that is some serious speed....

West
West

Sometimes I don't like the way Super GT advertises its cars. For example, a Nissan spokesperson said that a 350z JGTC car is capable of beating a C5R at Le Mans - YET THEY DON'T EVEN TRY. Also, most GT500 cars are factory backed, and they run against privateer Ferraris, McLarens, etc. I swear Japanese officials run some serious handicaps on all the European models.

Also, the ballasting of qualifiers and race winners seems kinda stupid to me.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Tom

They use ballasting in the British Stock (Touring) Car Championship, quite sucessfully (Even if that posh yorkshire prick, Matt Neal always seems to get the advantage from it)

I think many of the adverts are just Japan trying to prove, like America, that they are competitive with Europe, however they exagerate and come off sounding big headed.

However I think it would be hard to deny that the fastest cars are all European, (albeit with American engines)
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

West
West

Tom wrote:They use ballasting in the British Stock (Touring) Car Championship, quite sucessfully (Even if that posh yorkshire prick, Matt Neal always seems to get the advantage from it)

I think many of the adverts are just Japan trying to prove, like America, that they are competitive with Europe, however they exagerate and come off sounding big headed.

However I think it would be hard to deny that the fastest cars are all European, (albeit with American engines)
The Corvette Z06 has proven to the world it is a sports car, and with pretty much little fanfare. At around 70K it is easily the best money/power sports car available.

Even though Corvette lost at Sebring last year, they trounced Aston Martin in the 24 hours of Le Mans as well as the ALMS.

Of course I could be mis-reading you, but I thought you said that Americans are sounding big headed.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Tom

Sorry, that was not meant to be offensive.

I know Brits do it a lot, when they think they've got a great idea, they rub it eveyones face, sadly though, Britain no longer has a true sports car company to call its own.
Jaguar and Aston Martin are now owned by Ford, MG died with Rover and I think TVR are owned by a German company, also Marcos now use Corvette V8s.

Apologies again.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Scuderia_Russ

Tom wrote: sadly though, Britain no longer has a true sports car company to call its own..
Lotus, Caterham, Morgan, Westfield, Quantum, Tiger. There is still a couple knocking about although I agree with the exception of Lotus and maybe Caterham Cars, none of them are world famous.
This chap has alot to say on the subject.
http://www.ukcar.com/editorial/brits/Britrule.htm
Tom wrote: MG died with Rover I think TVR are owned by a German company.
Production at Longbridge is restarting shortly. MG is not dead yet. I think one Rover model and two MG models are going to be built there again. TVR is owned by a Russian.