F1 in Schools team's usual budget

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
V8Series
V8Series

F1 in Schools team's usual budget

Hi, i'm currently gathering a team to participate in this fantastic competition, but here in the region where I live (Portugal, Alentejo)teams usually have problems when it comes to get sponsors to pay their "bills", and I was wondering what's the usual budget that a team needs to be competitive, at least nationally.
Sorry if there are any errors in my text, but english isn't my main language..
You're Never Too Fast

V8Series
V8Series

Re: F1 in Schools team's usual budget

Please help!
You're Never Too Fast

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Is this a highschool comp, or is it FSAE? For FSAE, team budgets vary drastically. My team has a budget between 20-40k AUD a year, and each successive car borrows a lot of the equipment from previous year (engines, differentials etc). I've heard that teams like TU Graz have budgets of over 200k a year, while I'm sure teams like Stuttgart, Michigan and Monash are spending well over 100k a year. Being competitive in your first year is not something you should be focusing on at all, you should only focus on having a car that can be built and tested enough before competition, so as to give you a good chance of finishing all the events.

-Felix-
-Felix-

Having been in a rather succesful german FSAE team, i can second the budget guesses. It also varies significantly wether you compete in FSE oder FSC, i'd say it is nearly impossible to build a top 5 FSE car without a 6 figure. There also have been rumours and "some say" that TU Delft even reached 7 figure at times, but that's bollocks in my opinion. Although when you sometimes see the trucks and equipments some teams arrive with, you might wonder..

Anyways, I think OP was talking about these small Hot Wheels racer things, I don't have any idea what budget they need..

V8Series
V8Series

The competition that I'm talking about is the one where you build a small wood car powered by CO2, not sormula students.
It's for people with less than 18 years.
You're Never Too Fast

Lightspeedrt
Lightspeedrt

Hi there,
My name is Dylan, you may know me if you have kept up with the F1iS World Finals over the last few years. I was the chief design engineer for A1 Racing, we won the comp in Austin in 2013. Budget is a broad topic in F1iS and it varys for what level of competition and what country you are competing in. As a general guide, State Finals you will only need a few hundred dollars, National Finals you will be looking at 3000-5000 depending on what your wanting to do. As a general rule, get as much money from your sponsors as you can, in kind sponsorship (stuff sponsors can provide you free of charge) is vital. The more money you can get the more you can spend, simple as that. My first world finals in Malaysia 2011 cost us $45,000. In Austin where we won, our budget was closer to $120,000.