2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SidSidney
SidSidney

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

I'm not saying this is the way Rosberg races, but what are the odds of a Schumacher-esque finale, similar to 1994 vs. Hill?

If it literally comes to push vs. shove, taking Hamilton out of second place with a well-timed but deniable ("didn't see him come inside me") weave into his front suspension at Turn 7 might be a tactic... I mean if you literally have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, it might come to that...

Possible fallout? Mercedes win WDC either way, Rosberg denies it all the way to the bank, Hamilton leaves Mercedes in a huff... and joins Alonso at McLaren (just kidding).
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

turbof1

I don't see that happening. Toto was furious enough after the Belgian GP debacle; imagine how he'll be if Nico ruins Mercedes' reputation by shoving Hamilton? Toto will have warned Nico from doing anything rash several times in the leadup to this weekend, and he'll do so a few times again. Lewis will probably also have been warned.
#AeroFrodo

WaikeCU

turbof1 wrote:I don't see that happening. Toto was furious enough after the Belgian GP debacle; imagine how he'll be if Nico ruins Mercedes' reputation by shoving Hamilton? Toto will have warned Nico from doing anything rash several times in the leadup to this weekend, and he'll do so a few times again. Lewis will probably also have been warned.
Imagine if it happens and Nico gets a DSQ for the Championship, just like Schumacher did in 1997 or worse If Nico's Championship points gets removed, would Mercedes still be Constructor's champion?

turbof1

WaikeCU wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I don't see that happening. Toto was furious enough after the Belgian GP debacle; imagine how he'll be if Nico ruins Mercedes' reputation by shoving Hamilton? Toto will have warned Nico from doing anything rash several times in the leadup to this weekend, and he'll do so a few times again. Lewis will probably also have been warned.
Imagine if it happens and Nico gets a DSQ for the Championship, just like Schumacher did in 1997 or worse If Nico's Championship points gets removed, would Mercedes still be Constructor's champion?
I believe they'll be because you are punishing the driver and not the team. Could be wrong though, but it'd be the same thing as in 1997 where Schumacher got a DSQ but Ferrari kept the points in the contructor's.
#AeroFrodo

SidSidney
SidSidney

I hear you, but when the red mist descends and the world championship is on the line, all bets are off. People react strangely under pressure.

Hasn't Rosberg already re-signed with Mercedes for several years? Do you think they would fire him, a (self-identified) German WDC to carry Vettel's crown forward, even if Toto is upset? I don't think that would happen, the German press would crucify them. They might fine him, and slap him about, but he'd still be WDC, if the FIA didn't interfere.

And suddenly the Hamilton situation is ablaze - no contract, bitter feelings, sharks circling. If you ask me Mercedes have made a mistake leaving it until the dice fall in this race; I would have signed him up before the random strokes of fate (or something more calculated) take the decision out of their hands.

I wonder actually if McLaren are waiting for exactly that reason? I know, I know - it sounds far fetched. But Honda always liked to have the two best guys in their cars, even if at war. Nobody else got a mention when Prost and Senna were at it.
Last edited by SidSidney on 20 Nov 2014, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-

Kiril Varbanov

The press conference is massively entertaining. Alonso was asked whether he'd like Button for his team-mate. Button stared at Alonso and said: 'Take your time' to which Vettel added: 'He said yes earlier'. Button: 'I think he did.'

turbof1

SidSidney wrote:
I hear you, but when the red mist descends and the world championship is on the line, all bets are off. People react strangely under pressure.

Hasn't Rosberg already re-signed with Mercedes for several years? Do you think they would fire him, a (self-identified) German WDC to carry Vettel's crown forward, even if Toto is upset? I don't think that would happen, the German press would crucify them. They might fine him, and slap him about, but he'd still be WDC, if the FIA didn't interfere.

And suddenly the Hamilton situation is ablaze - no contract, bitter feelings, sharks circling. If you ask me Mercedes have made a mistake leaving it until the dice fall in this race; I would have signed him up before the random strokes of fate (or something more calculated) take the decision out of their hands.

I wonder actually if McLaren are waiting for exactly that reason? I know, I know - it sounds far fetched. But Honda always liked to have to two best guys in their cars, even if at war. Nobody else got a mention when Prost and Senna were at it.
There will be clauses that put Rosberg in a very tough spot contractual wise if he takes out his teammate, and especially in a championship-deciding situation. I get that in the heat of the moment emotion will overwrite reason, I however do trust that Toto took his methaphorical knife and edged the key sentence into Rosberg's heart, brain and spine: don't take out your teammate. If Toto manages to be more scarier to Rosberg then loosing the title, it'll be fine.
#AeroFrodo

lebesset
lebesset

prince wrote:
lebesset wrote:
mrluke wrote:Why would lewis want to go to Mclaren?? Even if they manage to build a competent car they are so strategically inept that they would throw it away. At least Mercedes are the class of the field.
mercedes may , for the moment , have the fastest car , but reliability ????
In the recent history, When was the last time a McLaren had a car with ultra good reliability? When was the year when McLaren didn't went back in development cycle, before bouncing back to find out that they are late in the season? When was the last season McLaren didn't ****ed up on strategy/pit stop stuff? On the contrary, Merc have shown great deal of reliability for a new formula engine which is frozen before finding out how good it is on Reliability. They have done a world class job in terms of strategy and pit stops. They are a team which has momentum, direction and importantly, a car that has been under continuous development and with every upgrade, has looked monstrous.

not only has McLaren been forced to change but lewis is now in a position to write his own terms and conditions into a contract ...would they turn him down? I think not
In all stupid theories, Lewis will go to McLaren only when he doesn't win the championship. As a loser, would he be in a position to DICTATE a contract of his complete liking? Wouldn't it be a embarrassing re-union, where a loser goes back and admit it was a mistake to leave them in the first place and he has come back to help them win again, which didn't happen first time?
a loser ? only won 10 races this season ? and events have proved it was a 100% correct to leave and only return if and when they have their house in order ; and reliability ? ...not brilliant , but much better than mercedes ; only embarrasment would be on the McLaren side for their previous mistakes
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

SidSidney
SidSidney

turbof1 wrote:There will be clauses that put Rosberg in a very tough spot contractual wise if he takes out his teammate, and especially in a championship-deciding situation. I get that in the heat of the moment emotion will overwrite reason, I however do trust that Toto took his methaphorical knife and edged the key sentence into Rosberg's heart, brain and spine: don't take out your teammate. If Toto manages to be more scarier to Rosberg then loosing the title, it'll be fine.
You are probably right, I just like the idea of a complete drama - reminds me of 1994 Adelaide:-

http://vimeo.com/3215241

turbof1

SidSidney wrote:
turbof1 wrote:There will be clauses that put Rosberg in a very tough spot contractual wise if he takes out his teammate, and especially in a championship-deciding situation. I get that in the heat of the moment emotion will overwrite reason, I however do trust that Toto took his methaphorical knife and edged the key sentence into Rosberg's heart, brain and spine: don't take out your teammate. If Toto manages to be more scarier to Rosberg then loosing the title, it'll be fine.
You are probably right, I just like the idea of a complete drama - reminds me of 1994 Adelaide:-

http://vimeo.com/3215241
I do admit that somewhere deep in me I'd love that too :P. Just imagine Toto and Lauda their heads if it happens! Nico screaming and fist pumping jumping out of the car only to have his sights turning on the team. Joy turning into fear within a split second.

Scenario writers couldn't do better then that.

Interestingly though, if Nico did the exact same thing as Schumacher did in 1994, he'll loose the title since he takes himself out too.
#AeroFrodo

Kiril Varbanov

Button to Alonso: "Take your time" - https://vid.me/fiMu

Phil

turbof1 wrote:There will be clauses that put Rosberg in a very tough spot contractual wise if he takes out his teammate, and especially in a championship-deciding situation.
The thing is; if anything does happen, it won't be a black/white situation. It'd be more like Monaco, or Spa, where everyone will talk for months, everyone with their own opinions and "facts" to proclaim what exactly happened. Unless Rosberg goes kamikatze-like into Hamilton or anything similarly, expect a very controversial outcome where in the end, the team will play it down and eventually move on - because taking sides or making a bigger drama of it would only damage what should really be a successfull end to a season of unparalleled dominance.

In any situation, there's always a counter argument to be made. As I imagined earlier, if Hamilton ever ends up ahead of Rosberg this weekend and the latter gets just a tiny opportunity to attempt a pass - he'll do it. Nico can only win if he wins the race and/or Hamilton has a DNF or is outside position N+2, but ahead of him. So if he does end up behind and sees even the slightest of opportunities, why not take a little risk? I'd certainly expect Hamilton to yield and/or leave a bit more room than usual, as Hamiltons goal for this race is to finish and not suffer any damage. The risk would be too great to not leave room or take extra care, collide with Rosberg and then be the one that is more damaged and then watch your team-mate get to the finish line while you retire.

The odds are definately in Hamiltons favour, but a gap of 17 points is peanuts in a race where points will vary between 50 and 2 and the gaps between positions are a multiple of two.

Jonnycraig wrote:I can only imagine you haven't actually watched any of the racing if you think a Merc can start in 5th and not easily finish 2nd. :lol: , especially at Abu Dhabi with two mammoth DRS zones.
We'll see. I'm happy to be proven wrong - I'm just not taking it for granted. I'm not disputing the Merc is fast and faster than all the other cars, but IMO not all DRS zones are as effective. How effective a DRS zone is depends on various factors. Going through the field (when starting from behind) is easy if you're overtaking back-markers and most of the midfield. The further up the grid you move, the more difficult it becomes. I take it the Williams are quite fast in a straight line, so if you can set up a pass or not, not only depends on acceleration on the straight, but also how well the car behind can follow before. I can't remember much about the 2013 race, but that was a completely different year. We'll see how it turns out this year.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Watch Button's eyes when Nico makes his hypocritical comment about keeping it clean...
197 104 103 7

G14RRV
G14RRV

Phil

Edit: Nevermind, got beaten to it.

Very funny press conference.

Got to love Seb. :lol:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter