2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Pierce89

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

SiLo wrote:
astracrazy wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:9 more days and one of the worst seasons in F1 history will be a mere blot in the copy books. Thank god.
worst? really?? We've had some of the best races for years and two drivers fighting for the title all year as opposed to a vettel snooze-fest for the last 3-4 years. Some of the past years were terribly boring - vettel pole, vettel storms away [repeat]
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Obviously, that's all down to opinion. I , personnally, have not found this season to be very enjoyable or rewarding to watch, but then again I'm a Ferrari fan who just had to watch my team trade the best driver in the world for the luckiest driver in the world. Another reason I haven't enjoyed this season is because the cars are visibly slower through the high speed turns.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

MercedesAMGSpy

Caterham will race in Abu Dhabi.

WaikeCU

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:Caterham will race in Abu Dhabi.
But will Ericsson race? I read he has cut all strings with Caterham. So, will it be Kobayashi and Frijns after all or will we see Rossi?

Juzh

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:Caterham will race in Abu Dhabi.
Too bad.

nacho
nacho

Probably Mika Salo.

SiLo

nacho wrote:Probably Mika Salo.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Felipe Baby!

flmkane
flmkane

Warning: Extreme sarcasm

The 1955 F1 season has been the worst in years. It's been utter domination by the Mercedes W196, with it's combination of high horsepower and streamlined aerodynamics. Juan Manuel Fangio has won 4 out of 7 races and has crushed his teammate Stirling Moss. The might of Stuttgart was demonstrated by the expensive development program, along with the highly professional and scientific methods of running a raceteam. However, race fans were deprived of the spectacle of watching multiple drivers and constructors competing to win, and future rule changes must be designed to limit the difference in performance between the teams.

Furthermore, the season has been cut short by the terrible accident at LeMans, with 83 spectators dead, 120 injured and the Mercedes driver Pierre Levegh, who famously drove 23 unbroken hours back in 1952, perished with a crushed skull.

Mercedes will now pull out of racing entirely. Perhaps some comfort can be gained from their spectacular success, but ultimately that is meager compensation.

However, next year the field will be more level and other competitors will be able to fight for wins, instead of having to watch Juan Manuel Fangio streaking off into the distance upon his Silver Arrow. Perhaps Mercedes pulling out is actually good for Grand Prix racing, because it will improve the show and we will have better on track action.

Sarcasm aside, I cant believe HOW ON EARTH certain people can look back at the past, as if it's so totally different and so much better than current F1. I mean, 1955 was also TOTAL domination by Mercedes, with Fangio dominating his THREE teammates (MGP ran 4 cars)... yet we speak of the 50s with nostalgia and longing.

2014 has had TWO drivers racing wheel to wheel for wins and championship points. Every race they are on the attack, like boxers duking out round after round, trying to find an opening, a weakness and a way to beat their opponent... up until the very last round. It's been a good fight between Nico and Lewis. 1955, Fangio ate everyone else for breakfast. In the 60s, Jim Clarke made everyone look silly. In 1977, Lauda didn't let anyone else have a chance... 1993, Williams might have won EVERY RACE were it not for the skills of Senna and Schumacher.

Plus, look how much safer F1 has gotten. Bianchi may be terribly hurt, but he's ALIVE. Compare that to Le Mans 1955.

Point I'm trying to make is, lose the goddamn rose tinted glasses. Stop expecting F1 races to be like NFS Most Wanted. Enjoy the duel between Nico and Lewis. Unless reliability decides the title, this is going to be fun.
Last edited by flmkane on 15 Nov 2014, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

thumbs up for the above post. give this man a cookie
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Gettingonabit
Gettingonabit

Manoah2u wrote:thumbs up for the above post. give this man a cookie
Now that's something I can agree with. :P

hollus

SiLo wrote:Or, Hamilton to crash out at first corner, Rosberg to retire on the last lap and miss out by one point because he hadn't lapped enough of the field.
Possibly the only way Hamilton could win a championship in a more ridiculous way than his first one.
Now that would be an interesting championship decider!
To make it better, let Nico run out of fuel in the last lap. No, even better, let him stop while still having fuel, because he has used 99.98L, while he hopes that the car in 6th stops, then let him restart once he sees it doesn't, to finish 5th and be disqualified afterwards.
OK, better not, I don't hate F1 that much!

Assuming Hamilton doesn't crash in the first corner, I think he will very much settle for second.

This:
Is still very fresh in his memory.
Rivals, not enemies.

Shrieker

Manoah2u wrote:thumbs up for the above post. give this man a cookie
And a beer :P

Hollus,

I agree. But 2008 will be fresh in his memory too, where they tried to manage the championship winning position on the track and it almost lost him the title. So you never know what happens with the safety car and all. Provided he lasts the first two laps though, it is entirely logical for him to let Nico go, preserve the car and settle for second given Merc's advantage. Unless Nico tries to slow him down and bunch up the field 8) If Lewis goes for a win and the car breaks, he'll almost certainly be judged for not trying to preserve the car. It's a double edged sword for him and not the sort of stuff you wanna carry into the cockpit regardless.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think Hamilton, Rosberg and Mercedes will approach this race in the same way as all the others. The drivers will each want to get pole and lead from the front. I expect Hamilton and Rosberg to drive the weekend accordingly. Rosberg's only hope is if Hamilton has an issue. Rosberg will want to win in order to maximise the result in his favour should Hamilton have an issue that causes him to run a slow race. Hamilton will prefer to run the race from the front for obvious reasons. Mercedes would prefer an incident-free race with the race result determined by the drivers on track. I honestly believe they don't care which of the drivers wins the title just so long as the result is a "clean" one.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sevach
Sevach

I'm curious to what kind of helmet Vettel will have this weekend.

ringo

I dreamt that Rosberg's engine failed but Hamilton's failed later in the race. 2 mercedes out and Wolf looking distressed at the outcome. Hope it doesn't happen though!
For Sure!!

Ciro Pabón

Many, many, many, many, many fans wrote:The XXXX season has been the worst in years
Noooo, get out of here! You rotten bums! You overpaid weenies! Wild thing! You make my butt sting! I detest you! You're out, garbage! I loathe you! Beg out the truck, back it up! ... See? I told ya, bring out the tarp, cover the field, I can't watch this anymore, it's over, turn the lights out, let's get the bulldozers in here and turn this place into a parking lot!
Ciro