Losing bodywork

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
FLC
FLC

Losing bodywork

Is it just me or the cars this year seems to lose some bodywork fairly easy?
is it something with the track?
i know that Kubica lost a piece of his bodywork in practice which punctured a tire, Ide lost something too and today Raikkonen prob. broke his rear suspension.
whats happenning?

allan
allan

i'm not sure, but maybe it's because of the vibration that is generated by the new v8 engines?!

Steven
Owner

From what I see Raikkonen has nothing to do with that here. I think he suffered a plain simple suspension failure (on a place where it gets loaded).

That said, I feared that Fisico's mirror would come off too, it was shaking all the way around when running on the straight. U suggest they make the connection a bit stronger ;)

For parts coming loose... what parts were that?

FLC
FLC

i dont know exactly which parts they lost, but here are some pictures:

http://www.formula1.com/gallery/751.html

look at Ide and Kubica.

oh and i didnt mean to blame kimi for the suspension failure at all. i actually feel sorry for him. excuse me but my mother language isnt english...

Tom

It looks to me like Kubica hit Ide's bodywork, but I'm not entirely sure.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

During Friday's televised practice, when they were showing Alonso's in car camera, the mirrors seems to flex. The left one seemed to move quite a lot, relative to the bodywork.

Tom

Yes and in the qualifying, again the left mirror.
The commentators said it was to do with the V8 creating more vibrations, but it seemed strange that it was biased to the left.
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I thought it moved more as a function of speed. During slower sections, it did not appear to flex as much.

allan
allan

it was fisichella's mirror,not alonso's :wink:
but i thought it was broken, the same thing happened to kimi raikonen, in canada2003, and Juan pablo montoya, but then it was due to the strong wing, maybe it's the same thing now!
but i think it was kimi's rear suspension failure that was caused by the v8's vibration, i mean, i don't think the v8 will effect the mirrors in front, or does it?

Tom

I would think it vibrates the whole car.

I definatly saw Alonso's mirror flapping, but it could well be both cars, they have the same struts and if the wind is coming from the same direction both would be effected.