New quali format

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FLC
FLC

sorry to interrupt the discussion, but does someone here really knows how the 110% rule works? i can find different quotes on the net. one says 110% of the drivers own lap, one says 110% of the fastest lap in general. anyone knows better?

vyselegend

I don't have the rules under my eyes, but it seems obvious to me the 110% are applied from the driver's own lap, otherwise it wouldn't be fair at all, since a red bull in the top ten (for instance) risks to be allways 110% slower than the best lap from a Macca or Renault, honda etc...

FLC
FLC

i thought about that, but both of them are pretty logical. 10% is a lot. if in bahrain a fast lap is around 1:32 then 110% would be around 1:40 which is a big difference. even super aguri can qualify in that gap. anyone else?
i looked in the fia regulations but it says nothing about this rule.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I can't find the regulation either, but I believe it is in place to prevent a driver from doing a super slow lap back to the pits, possibly interfering with another driver attempting a qualifying time. Remember, Sato screwed up Webber by doing a slow lap.

wowf1
wowf1

I thought it was 107%? That was definitely the case a few years ago but I guess it may have changed...

tOrnike

I don't think qualifying will be changed because FIA wanted a show and they got it; but I myself don't like this system - even during the Winter I had been saying the simultaneous laps would cause some traffic and it did in Bahrain - I remember seeing M.S. pulling in 1 or 2 corners off the perfect trajectory because of Coulthard (if I remember it correctly) being ahead of him and there were some other traffic moments - I want to see as much justice in F1 as possible, but the new qualifying sistem means driver A can be faster than B , but because he (A) has some traffic on his flying laps (you could say he has many laps to try but when 20 cars are out there at the same time it's almost impossible to find even relatively clear track for your lap), B will be ahead of him (and maybe even several places) because of that. That's not right.
Last edited by tOrnike on 17 Mar 2006, 20:46, edited 2 times in total.
McLaren Formula 1 Team
11 Times drivers world champions
8 Times constructors world champions

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The 107% rule is an old, no longer used rule to eliminate slow cars. If car could not go within 107% of the quickest car, they were asked to go home. That was a long time ago, when F1 had the luxury of a lot more teams at each GP.

Scuderia_Russ

You used to get traffic with the hallowed twelve laps in an hour type qualifying though!

tOrnike

But not in last year's system
McLaren Formula 1 Team

Scuderia_Russ

So you would have preferred they stuck with the single lap system then?! I was just pointing out that it is not only this new system that you will encounter traffic with, but also the twelve laps in a hour that everyone seems to rate so highly.

m3_lover

I believe that the main argument for end of one hour qualifying lap stuff was that the lower teams did not get enough commercial exposure, the lower teams made a ruckus, So that is why they had 2005 qualifying system, so that the viewers can see everyt eam qualifying so every team get's equal amount of television converage. Pretty gay if you ask me, because I do not know a lot of people who will be rooting for SA or midland during the race.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

tOrnike

Yes, single lap system is my choice from the available ones; I know it's boring but I'm ready to sacrifice my interest in qualifying for justice.
McLaren Formula 1 Team

rmw_77
rmw_77

The rules on qualifying in the final secition, are that for every 4 laps you do, you get 10kg of fuel. Howver any laps which are outside of 110% of your best time don't count for the fual credits.

manchild
manchild

So... no one with hint about this? :(
manchild wrote:How is this new qualifying format dealing with drivers who are changing engines before qualifying?

I mean, if driver that has changed engine goes into 3rd shoot-out would he be able to fuel-up as the rest of the drivers below 10th position?

Also, since FIA knows that engine is previously changed and driver can’t be in the top 10 at the end, does this regardless on it means that they won’t be allowed to fuel-up like the rest 10+ because they’ve entered 3rd shoot-out?

Hope my doubts/questions are understandable

rmw_77
rmw_77

Thats an interesting situation, never thought of that.

I guess we find out in a few hours time! I wish i was there this time last year I was in Sepang and I must admit it is a great circuit, the downside the locals can't afford tickets so the grandstands stay enpty. This years downside, I am stuck in the UK its 1 degrees centregrate, how things can change :(