pipe welding - Chrysler Voyager

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Herbert
Herbert

pipe welding - Chrysler Voyager

Hello guys,

I have a Chrysler Voyager. My problem is that the low pressure air con pipe has a slice cut, caused by the wiper linkage. I think all the refrigerant has leaked out of the sytem. Could be at one side.

my questions are:

is it safe to weld the hole in the pipe (aluminium)?
sould i use pipe clamps (such as **** )?

Thanks for your answers and greets from Germany,

herbert
Last edited by Richard on 17 Feb 2015, 00:39, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed spam link to pipe clamp supplier. Sizes range from 27-355mm, that's a huge aircon system!

PlatinumZealot

Re: pipe welding - Chrysler Voyager

You can use a flare fitting.
It is safe to weld if you remove the pipe from the car.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

SlowSteve

Hi,

Two points:

1) unless you are 100% totally sure that no flameable gas or fluid of any sort, ever, has been in those pipes, get the pipe out of the car and fill it with sand/soil/flour or similar before you put any sort of flame near it. pipes exploding ruins a day and requires new underpants.

2) Welding is probably a bit too much effort - easy to blow out the pipe. I strongly suggest you use an aluminium brazing method instead. Most are fine with a regular butane flame ( actually - work better with regular butane ), and the brazing alloy will be stronger than the aluminium base layer.
Al Brazing with these rods is entirely black and white - it either works or it doesn't. the difference is how you prepare the metal. Clear up as normal, degrease etc, but the LAST act you do, before you put a flame to it, is scrub the area with a stainless steel wire brush. If you don't brush it, it won't work. If you use a brass brush, it won't work. Use a regular steel brush, it won't work. Use a stainless brush, it'll work perfectly.

Steve

Anishafatima

Ya, it is safe to weld. It is preferred to weld away from the car to avoid further damage.
Be Good DO Good

strad

Why not just buy a new pipe? How expensive could it be?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Manoah2u

strad wrote: ↑
08 Aug 2019, 18:27
Why not just buy a new pipe? How expensive could it be?
or look for another pipe at the car junkyard.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"