2016 Ford GT

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
strad

2016 Ford GT

What can I say.. I want one.. Yes I'm too old, Yes it's out of my price range but damn it I want one.
In case you haven't seen it yet
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-f ... -info-news
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

Re: 2016 Ford GT

They plan to use the same engine as the Daytona Prototype from last year

Bomber_Pilot

It's like LaFerrari and P1 had a baby :)

ian_s

Bomber_Pilot wrote:It's like LaFerrari and P1 had a baby :)
yet it is still a recognizable descendant of the GT40

SectorOne

Bomber_Pilot wrote:It's like LaFerrari and P1 had a baby :)
More like something they would vomit out instead.

No but to be fair, at least the interior is less ugly then the last one.
edit: to refresh everyone´s mind on how to not build interiors.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Blanchimont

That's what i'm talking about...let's hope the best.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/d ... ur-dreams/
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

wesley123

I'm probably the only one that doesn't like it.

It's an unnecessary modernization of a timeless design.

Give me the 2005(?) version
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan

I like the new version. It's an obvious evolution of the design and it's still recognisable as part of that blood line. The 2nd generation was a "modernised copy" of the original - look closely and much of it is different but it's still recognisable for what it is trying to be.

The Mk1 Ford GT40 is still one of my favourite cars of all time. An absolute classic - along with the AC Cobra - great examples of British design with US muscle! =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Moxie

The GT40"s are my favorite cars. I must say I like this new evolution.

Gatecrasher

The original GT40 was low, stupid doors and an iconic shape and I love all of it 8) but I don’t understand why the modern equivalent dropped the single scoop bonnet (hood) to look more like a Lotus Elise. #-o Did they really need a center element as a crash structure ?

The GT40 is a showcase car for Ford, not made for profit, just to prove they can still do it. Ford could build a $140k production sports car that looks like a GT40 and handles well that would sell in volume and still have a showcar to bring the masses in to the dealerships when they want to buy the latest Ford Fusion. Would you want a GT40 or a 911 with your coffee ?

I still love the fact Ford is putting it out there and pushing their boundaries. It is a pity we don’t have a Ford/Cosworth turbo F1 engine competing with Merc, Renault, Ferrari and Honda.

J.A.W.

Looks oddly referential to the Nissan GTR/faux Ferrari style cue-wise IMO..( nose grill/side C-pillar & etc)
& not for the better.. ..compared to what could be achieved..
..even if the changes the original underwent were re-done instead..

As for V6, even if turbo.. ..lame, just like when Jaguar did it XJR-wise.. ..way back when..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

FW17

It was surprising that Ford sold Cosworth when they did.

With the size of their engine production facility in the UK along with R&D it would have cost Ford next to nothing to keep Cosworth the company going even if it cancelled the F1 and other racing programmes.

But Ford kind of disassociated itself from Cosworth, not sure what the conflict or liability was in keeping it.

WaikeCU

It kind of reminds me of the MkIII GT40:

Psoz

They keep pitching this as a true drivers car, but the transmission is dual clutch. The thing that confuses me is that the ACO bans dual clutch transmissions, and as such the road version must have a different transmission than the race homologated one. Everyone is saying they went with a turbo v6 (I prefer more cylinder count and the balance and superior power delivery that provided) because of the appeal of racing the ecoboost brand, but a v8 is a pretty essential part of the ford gt brand.

Still can't understand why they went with the DCT.

P.S. It's pretty decent looking except that the exhaust looks like gorilla nostrils

strad

but I don’t understand why the modern equivalent dropped the single scoop bonnet (hood) to look more like a Lotus Elise
I don't think they were trying to look like a Lotus. I believe it has to do with relieving a low pressure area that trys to make the front end light at high speed.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss