McLaren 2015 livery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: McLaren 2015 livery

SiLo wrote:Right now, anything is better than nothing.
I would think so.
Honda!

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

CptPeanut wrote:Plus, if you actually read what he is saying, there isn't as much need for external sponsorship as with other teams because of revenue from other arms of the McLaren business. I don't get why everyone is so het up about a lack of title sponsors when McLaren themselves aren't.
Probably because none of the other car manufacturers in F1 (Mercedes and Ferrari/FIAT) are lacking a title sponsor (except for Ferrari who have Philip Morris) and are also much bigger companies than McLaren.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

That first photo scared yhe daylights out of me!
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

because it looks too much like a ferrari? :mrgreen:
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Morteza

This is what McLaren used in testing in 1997.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

Manoah2u wrote:because it looks too much like a ferrari? :mrgreen:
I thought it was official!
It looks so tacky.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Morteza wrote:http://images.f1.tata.lbi.co.uk/wi/800x ... 09ja12.jpg

This is what McLaren used in testing in 1997.
and it looks magnificient

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I maintain this looks gorgeous.

Questionable though whether it'll actually ever be a livery, because sponsors indeed do not pair well with orange.
It doesn't scream 'honda' first of all, and since honda is inverstin 130+ million in the engine alone, i'd expect them to
atleast have a little more 'exposure', i won't say that white-red would be the obvious choice but oh wait there i said it.

anyway,

it's just gorgeous, it's identifiable, it's 'new era' (even if it's 'heritage').

Still can't comprehend why Mclaren chose silver-black-red over this as a testing livery.

ScottB
ScottB

I think the current colourscheme was intended to be the livery, and any suggestion of it being a testing one, or due to be replaced only surfaced as a reaction to the negative response it received since launch...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ScottB wrote:I think the current colourscheme was intended to be the livery, and any suggestion of it being a testing one, or due to be replaced only surfaced as a reaction to the negative response it received since launch...
Actually no, Mclaren's been reporting livery changes and playing with Red-White teasers ever since Alonso was announced at the team. Even days before the actual reveal Mclaren asked their twitter followers to 'vote' by sharing or commenting on which color they enjoyed more; Red-White or Papaya Orange.

Announcing 'new era this, new era that, new era so'. Raising expectations.

Then they, against all expectations, come up with a totally bland and unflattering west livery which is, putting it mildly, executed very poorly. It would have been better if the Mirrors weren't red but black or chrome, if the red curve around the engine cover was 'fatter' and more pronounced and visible from the side, and if there were just some more red accents here and there; at the wing endplates front and rear for example.

The empty black sidepods aren't helping either.

The thing with this livery is it's totally underwhelming, it's powerless, emotionless, it's boring and it downgrades the actual car. There is zero excitment to this livery, while in reality, there is a bunch of excitement on the actual car itself.
Unfortunately, this gets snowed under by the complete boredom and unsatisfaction that is this livery. I really haven't got a single good thing to say about this livery.

Just look at all the amazing fantasy liveries around here, and then look at the testing livery. It's painfully shamefull.

They didn't HAVE to change too many colours, just look how great this colourscheme looks
http://mediacdn.f1i.com/wp-content/uplo ... ery-12.jpg

If the wheels were red the car could enter a reunion of the a-team
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8yv-KfIAAAQsKi.jpg

What's even worse is that the very same livery with just some slight modifications already looks a whopping lot better
http://wtf1.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/20 ... honda2.jpg

Not to mention the earlier posted much improved versions of the same car
http://wtf1.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/20 ... alboro.jpg

Last year's car looks much more exciting

The dissapointment on the presented Mclaren livery is so big, i don't think there is enough ways to express the total disappointment felt. As negative as it is, it is the very truth.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Manoah2u wrote:
ScottB wrote:I think the current colourscheme was intended to be the livery, and any suggestion of it being a testing one, or due to be replaced only surfaced as a reaction to the negative response it received since launch...
Actually no, Mclaren's been reporting livery changes and playing with Red-White teasers ever since Alonso was announced at the team. Even days before the actual reveal Mclaren asked their twitter followers to 'vote' by sharing or commenting on which color they enjoyed more; Red-White or Papaya Orange.
Reporting livery changes? no, they've been posting pics of Honda mclarens on Twitter and maybe a Honda motorbike here and there. People *assumed* it meant a red/white livery change, but obviously meant nothing. The only mention of any livery change before or since the official reveal was when Ron said the only reason there would be a change would be (paraphrased) for a new title sponsor. *That* was when the Twitter account asked for followers to vote. It was simply to generate buzz from a PR perspective.
Manoah2u wrote:Announcing 'new era this, new era that, new era so'. Raising expectations.

Then they, against all expectations, come up with a totally bland and unflattering west livery which is, putting it mildly, executed very poorly. It would have been better if the Mirrors weren't red but black or chrome, if the red curve around the engine cover was 'fatter' and more pronounced and visible from the side, and if there were just some more red accents here and there; at the wing endplates front and rear for example.

The empty black sidepods aren't helping either.

The thing with this livery is it's totally underwhelming, it's powerless, emotionless, it's boring and it downgrades the actual car. There is zero excitment to this livery, while in reality, there is a bunch of excitement on the actual car itself.
Unfortunately, this gets snowed under by the complete boredom and unsatisfaction that is this livery. I really haven't got a single good thing to say about this livery.

Just look at all the amazing fantasy liveries around here, and then look at the testing livery. It's painfully shamefull.

They didn't HAVE to change too many colours, just look how great this colourscheme looks
http://mediacdn.f1i.com/wp-content/uplo ... ery-12.jpg

If the wheels were red the car could enter a reunion of the a-team
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8yv-KfIAAAQsKi.jpg

What's even worse is that the very same livery with just some slight modifications already looks a whopping lot better
http://wtf1.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/20 ... honda2.jpg

Not to mention the earlier posted much improved versions of the same car
http://wtf1.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/20 ... alboro.jpg

Last year's car looks much more exciting
http://i58.tinypic.com/vx4ko.jpg

The dissapointment on the presented Mclaren livery is so big, i don't think there is enough ways to express the total disappointment felt. As negative as it is, it is the very truth.
I agree the livery is bad, I just wouldn't get my hopes up for a change. Agree or not, mclarens strategy is to continue with the black/chrome/rocket red branding for mcLaren, and according to Ron himself, that won't change except for a MAJOR sponsorship deal. Which I think we all agree is not on the horizon.
Last edited by acosmichippo on 17 Feb 2015, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

bigblue

There's always one ... I actually don't mind the current livery. I find a lot of the concept ones quite messy, I prefer a plainer style. I'm not saying the current livery is amazing, but I don't mind it at all. Needs a whacking-great H-O-N-D-A plastered on the rear wing though, especially as they are apparently bankrolling McLaren to a non-trivial extent.

ScottB
ScottB

Yeah, the Twitter livery question was after Ron gave his bizarre interview about livery change.

When the car was unveiled, the current effort was described as being the new Mclaren corporate colours. Any change that happens subsequently will either be down to the negative reaction it received, or a title sponsor. Ron seems to have ruled the later out, so...

mclaren111

The top of the Sidepod is now Silver as well - look at small moinitor: