CFD/OpenFOAM pre-processing

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
TurboLag
TurboLag

CFD/OpenFOAM pre-processing

Hi everyone!

I'm currently building my own time attack race car (mechanicals almost done now), and in that project I'm building a complete aero kit in CAD and want to do CFD analysis on this.

I've made a dedicated computer for this, installed OpenFOAM and read the manuals for the pre processing tools. But I can't find out how to actually set up a real environment outside the cube cavity in the tutorial..

I have a model of my car in blender. Can anyone tell me step by step how to get it into OpenFOAM and do a calculation on it?

Any help would be appreciated, even "read this for preprocessing".But please, in that case, tell me where I can read about processing a positive model :)

michaelclarke

Re: CFD/OpenFOAM pre-processing

CFD-online http://www.cfd-online.com/ would be a good place to start.

I did a wind turbine analysis using OpenFOAM last year, but I haven't used it since. It's all on my main computer which is in storage atm. If I get it all hooked up I'll come back and try give some more useful info.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

michaelclarke

I actually just found a PDF from my lecturer that's a really good guide to start with. I'll upload it to dropbox and link it here.

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zi5pcbxeel86 ... ab06a?dl=0
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

TurboLag
TurboLag

Absolutely perfect michaelclarke! :D Thank you very much! :)

stez90
stez90

Check also HelyxOS, an opensource GUI for Openfoam..

michaelclarke

stez90 wrote:Check also HelyxOS, an opensource GUI for Openfoam..
Yeah, I've heard that's good too.

No problem TurboLag :D