Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Kalsi
Kalsi

Re: Ferrari SF15-T Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

The more i look at this rear wing + winglets + sidepods
The more i think they are trying something to seal the diffuser exit

Could this be?
Please appoligize my bad painting skills

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

f1316 wrote:
gandharva wrote:
Thanks. I was in the process of generating the same comparison. Yours came out just as I expected. 2015 Ferrari is still quite a fatty around the hips and ass. Din't they say that the back will be much slimmer?
The very back of the McLaren is obviously slimmer but it's also interesting to see the shape that brings them to the central point - the Ferrari follows a much smoother curve.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/ ... iuqyoq.png

Equally, I'd be surprised if there was anything at the back of the Ferrari that prevented them creating that central 'v', more that they consciously chose to use have the bodywork extend right to the diffuser to help prevent separation.

None of which is to say one is better than the other, it's just a slightly different philosophy.
It's because of the way the hot air exits for each car.

dren

I think those ends are driving the air outwards, just like the expanding air in the diffuser.

The driveshafts are covered by the lower rear wishbone. The front has the Mercedes style lower A-arm. It looks good.

The biggest change I see is their radiator layout. It allows them to finally have similar sidepod undercut to all of the other teams. They always had odd sidepods that had the opposite of an undercut.
Honda!

McMrocks
McMrocks

I've got no cfd analyses or whatsoever but i don't think there will be much air going through (unless the air comes out of the rearwing). The gills are small and normal to the airflow... so unless there is a big pressure difference between the air between the end plates and the air at the outside there won't be much flow.

Maybe some Interaction with the (low pressure)tyre wake? (still doesn't seem plausible) Lets wait and see if those gills are still on the car at sunday.

edit: The strakes divert the air outwards so the gills should do the same (otherwise it makes no sense)
Last edited by McMrocks on 30 Jan 2015, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

Pilatus

RBR-esque tyre squirt slots:

Last year RB:

giantfan10
giantfan10

“The current 2015 power unit has already gained a significant amount of performance, and we will keep pushing during the entire season.”
that is what i'm most interested in at this point ... the pictures and video released to the public is not the car that will start the season in australia, but a good basic version.....
so do you like your rear end covered like ferrari or exposed like mclaren and Mercedes...which solution is better?
the fact that mercedes won the last championship does not automatically make their solution better... they had MAJOR advantages in other areas : )
just food for thought

godlameroso

What we are seeing is not the final car, not even close. The diffuser is just a placeholder, the front wing is last year's, there are a lot of details missing. What we can see is the livery, the nose, and the general look of the car, I guarantee the car at Barcelona is going to be different. Maybe not in an obvious way but the devil is in the details.

I even suspect the rear body work will be tighter by the beginning of the season, the more area you have for the rear floor the better. Where the previous years was all about exhaust driven downforce, now the new philosophy is integrating as much flow as possible. A bigger floor will divert more air flow. Clever management of air flow through the chassis will divert more air-flow and keep everything from melting. Of particular note is the interaction at the rear of the car from the diffuser to the top of the rear wing the whole area is boxed out, and the rear wing end plates have become intricately developed. I wouldn't be surprised if teams aren't trying to find a way to exploit the combined heat from the cooling system air, and exhaust in some synergistic way with the rest of the air flows.

It's interesting in a way because it forces you to have a more holistic view than during the exhaust blown days. It's changed from having a very developed thing that helps you win to more of a 'you have to be good at everything to win.' You can no longer win with a good team incredible aero, a drivable engine, and decent suspension. Now you need the best suspension, the best engine, the best energy recovery, aero, and team to win.

In any case, that platypus nose with the bulb underneath screams James Allison.
Saishū kōnā

giantfan10
giantfan10

quotes from James allison that are far more interesting to me than what the car looks like right now.
" a significant amount of the squad's efforts over the winter period have been applied in ensuring that the team has a more competitive power unit in 2014"

"early on the power delivery was not particularly sophisticated and it was quite tough for the drivers to get the throttle response they wanted,"

"A definite weakness for last year's car was the amount of electrical energy we were able to extract from the turbo was not really good enough for producing competitive power levels during the race,That's an area where we've tried to change the engine to make a better compromise between qualifying and race performance."

from the engine chief Mattio Binotto
“The current 2015 power unit has already gain a significant amount of performance, and we will keep pushing during the entire season.”

so now lets see if they got it right

GoranF1
GoranF1

The Ferrari seems to have a semi-enclosed drive shaft.

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

alessio

kartwheels
kartwheels

Apologies if this has been covered.

I would like to add speculation with regard to the horizontal louvres in the RW end plate...

Lovers on the upper section of the end plate (common occurrence - although Red Bull often ran without last year, surely with a drag penalty?) bleed high pressure stagnation to a low pressure area, by bleeding to outer section of the end plate the elements of the wing become more efficient in terms of pressure distribution.

With the lower section of the Ferrari end plate can we assume (if they continue to keep this upgrade) are they trying to bleed flow from inner to outer section to either aid the sealing of 'the magic gap' making the diffuser more efficient (as the blown diffusers proved on RB7) although this is obviously further downstream of the RB7 exhaust outlets...or are they trying to increase the low pressure footprint behind the car?

Could the horizontal louvres even be bleeding flow to the outside of the end plate to energise the flow already being affected by the turning veins below? This might marry up to the low pressure spreading theory rather than sealing the diffuser.

Fairly fascination addition to the RW!

dren

I think they are helping the up and outwash flow of the wings on the wheels and the diffuser. That's my guess, anyway.
Honda!

Giando

Sorry, i can't really say if it's a reflection or not...
haven't the steering arms been moved down at the level of the Y shaped triangle?

wesley123
wesley123

imo the horizontal louvres are to deal with a pressure difference. On the inside of the end plate there is a good open area, while on the outside the airflow is spoiled by huge amounts of winglets generating downforce.

I think the slots are there to bleed airflow from the inside to the outside to tidy up the airflow and improve airflow out between the end plates/diffuser.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PABLOEING
PABLOEING