Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1.Ru

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

Fer.Fan wrote:
F1.Ru wrote:
James Allison wrote:Rather than sacrificing power for packaging as it had done with its first stab at the new regulations...........

For Full Article click here
"and, with three more engine tokens to spend over the remainder of the season"
This according to the article but if I remember correctly Ferrari have 9 token left to spend??? It was reveled before Melbourne GP by FIA.
It simply means that Ferrari have additional 3 tokens than Mercedes, not their total number of token left. Ferrari still have 10 unused token whereas Mercedes have only 7 left that means Ferrari have 3 additional token and it is mentioned in the article. :?
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

I'm confused by a more powerful engine being more fuel efficient? I remember Paddy Lowe referring to this last year too, however, I've also read this year that the Merc engine is more powerful and therefore uses more fuel.

I mean, I figured what Paddy was saying last year was if you have a good turbo, ERS, etc, the you can get sort of 'free' power, without using fuel, however, if you're just talking about the combustion engine, the more powerful you make it, the more fuel it would use I'd have thought? I guess this would benefit 1 lap pace, but then whether it makes a difference on race pace depends on how much time you gain in power compared to how much you lose in having to carry more fuel (or by having to fuel manage).

Can anyone add to this?

f1316
f1316

So you'd think teams would do their first engine upgrade at Barcelona, given that there are 19 races and a) you'd want your engine to be better as soon as possible and b) seems wrong to bring an engine upgrade to Monaco.

However, the counter argument, particularly for Ferrari is a) they'd have more time to develop the more they push upgrades to later in the season b) they like to bring major upgrades to Canada (which I never really understood, given it's outside Europe).

But surely that's too risky? Will be interesting to see how they play it.

f1316
f1316

tranquility2k4 wrote:I'm confused by a more powerful engine being more fuel efficient? I remember Paddy Lowe referring to this last year too, however, I've also read this year that the Merc engine is more powerful and therefore uses more fuel.

I mean, I figured what Paddy was saying last year was if you have a good turbo, ERS, etc, the you can get sort of 'free' power, without using fuel, however, if you're just talking about the combustion engine, the more powerful you make it, the more fuel it would use I'd have thought? I guess this would benefit 1 lap pace, but then whether it makes a difference on race pace depends on how much time you gain in power compared to how much you lose in having to carry more fuel (or by having to fuel manage).

Can anyone add to this?
Isn't it more that if you're going faster, you finish sooner, and with the fuel flow always being the same, you're more efficient the quicker you go.

mcalex
mcalex

More powerful engine as the sum of ICE and ERS

PhillipM
PhillipM

The fuel flow is limited, therefore, the more powerful your engine is, the more efficient you must have made it, also.
Last edited by PhillipM on 02 Apr 2015, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ral
Ral

Ron Dennis said it's a bit like driving with the choke out: less power, more fuel use.

It also depends where you get the power from. If it's the electric parts, then you're effectively getting more power for less fuel.

zjeeraar
zjeeraar

Juzh wrote:No, you can only have 1 homologated PU spec at a time, and there's no point to re-homologate an old, worse spec. Best course of action is to apply updates once the current spec has served it proportional part of the season.
I thought the engines were not homologated at this stage, this was the loophole that gave the opportunity to use tokens in-season. The FIA failed to set a date for homologation of the engines in 2015, which is why they currently race un-homologated engines with tokens yet to spend...
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Peter Windsor on Ferrari in Malaysian. Very interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXNLmM7pIc

turbof1

zjeeraar wrote:
Juzh wrote:No, you can only have 1 homologated PU spec at a time, and there's no point to re-homologate an old, worse spec. Best course of action is to apply updates once the current spec has served it proportional part of the season.
I thought the engines were not homologated at this stage, this was the loophole that gave the opportunity to use tokens in-season. The FIA failed to set a date for homologation of the engines in 2015, which is why they currently race un-homologated engines with tokens yet to spend...
Juzh is right in principle: by the letter of the rule you can only run one homologated engine.

However, with the loophole in the rules allowing updates throughout the season, teams have been given dispensation. After all, using those updates require a new PU component allocation. Say that at the moment of updating Sauber has done 5 races with its current allocation, Ferrari did only 2 races and Marussia only 1. For Sauber, the timing is spot on to introduce a new allocation with the updates, but Ferrari will have to throw out the old allocation, and never be able to use it again, and Marussia will not even be able to fit it due a non-compatible chassis.

So a Technical Directive was made to drop that rule in reality. In our example Sauber can use the updates straight away, Ferrari will either keep running its older allocation for 3 more races, or effectively introduce a new allocation with updates right away, and reuse the old spec in 3 races later on in the season, and Marussia will stay with the 2014 spec until it has a chassis that fits the new PU.

You can run whatever you wish as long it was homologated. This also means you can homologate as much as you want during the 2015 year.
#AeroFrodo

Juzh

Ah. Tnx for clarification.

turbof1

Juzh wrote:Ah. Tnx for clarification.
No problem. It's quite a mess with these rules. The teams know what they are up against, but fans and even most of commentators from broadcasting channels don't have any clue. Next to it being chaotic, the fia does not make any attempt towards transparency. I just hope they convert the current practice into clear cut rules next season.

One particular person contributed a lot to clarifying it towards myself. I can't reveal his identity in the open, but he'll know when he reads this ;).

I also suddenly realises the influence from Allison on the front wing. I'll try to study its effects on tyre wear.
#AeroFrodo

R_Redding
R_Redding

turbof1 wrote: No problem. It's quite a mess with these rules. The teams know what they are up against
Another aspect to this mess is that they now have to use each engine (in its stage of evolution ) sequentially.

Last year they were able to give each engine some hard races , some sedate races ,and then move them into P1 and P2 use on Fridays.

They may end up using more engines than last year just because of the inability to spread wear.

Rob

mkable1370
mkable1370

R_Redding wrote:
turbof1 wrote: No problem. It's quite a mess with these rules. The teams know what they are up against
Another aspect to this mess is that they now have to use each engine (in its stage of evolution ) sequentially.

Last year they were able to give each engine some hard races , some sedate races ,and then move them into P1 and P2 use on Fridays.

They may end up using more engines than last year just because of the inability to spread wear.

Rob
I read somewhere earlier today that the teams have actually been given a special dispensation from the FIA that allows them to use the engines out of sequence, because of the fact that different teams may be at different points with respect to engine life when the PU manufacturer releases a new upgrade to their engine.

charlex

according to allison ferrari would be studying short front nose maybe ready for middle season