Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Callum

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Zooming into the rear wing shows a load of waves - vortex generators maybe?

mikhak
mikhak

dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Lightened image of the back end:
https://twitter.com/piusgasso/status/560775091966181376
Thanks for the pic. I can't tell if the drive shaft is encapsulated or not. The reflections look like it's not, but I think that might be the light playing tricks with me.
It looks to me like the driveshaft is isolated, outlined in red.

Top wishbone in blue and he partially visible rear leg of the lower wishbone in green.
Scarbs doesn't think there is room for the mushroom arms.
No actually he said the opposite. He said in an earlier tweet it looked like standard suspension, then this tweet to say no its not standard, there is room for mushroom suspension.

poolboy67

KingHamilton01 wrote:
Wow so negative and the first test hasn't even started yet, maybe Honda turn up to the first test and prove a lot of people wrong. But until they have actually run, this is all speculation!
but they already did have a fist test already, remember?

i'm not down talking the new car or honda's engine, i'm just trying to remind people that it's kinda likely that they'll have problems in the first tests. because recent as recent history tells, all the engine supliers had problems during testing. merc the least, but then merc had the biggest budget and the best engine. there has to be a correlation there.

i'm trying to remind people of that so they wouldn't have their hopes crushed at the first sign of problems. you just can't expect too much from something that's unproven like honda's engine is!
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

Gianlu27

Some comparison

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle

"Life is about passion thank you for sharing mine" Forza Michael!

dren

mikhak wrote:
dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Lightened image of the back end:
https://twitter.com/piusgasso/status/560775091966181376
Thanks for the pic. I can't tell if the drive shaft is encapsulated or not. The reflections look like it's not, but I think that might be the light playing tricks with me.
It looks to me like the driveshaft is isolated, outlined in red.

Top wishbone in blue and he partially visible rear leg of the lower wishbone in green.
http://i.imgur.com/udefoKR.jpg?1
Scarbs doesn't think there is room for the mushroom arms.
No actually he said the opposite. He said in an earlier tweet it looked like standard suspension, then this tweet to say no its not standard, there is room for mushroom suspension.
Yeah, that's what it looks like to me, but the lighting could make it seem that way. The lower front wishbone is directly in line with the drive shaft you outlined. So it's either flow conditioning or encapsulating the shaft. Just lighting issues.
Honda!

GoranF1
GoranF1

Why is the floor visible trough the hole in the nose?

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

iotar__ wrote: 2. Not a car but rendering.
It's not. They even showed a Picture of the Cars beind filmed by some Fancy Camera this morning. Also look at the Tires.

Sorry for OT.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

f1316
f1316

I think we've got to remember Dennis' quote when thinking about cooling; to paraphrase "performance isn't the problem, reliability is".

It's like they're priming everyone to the possibility of making engine changes because of reliability. Therefore, there's no incentive to be conservative with cooling - you might as well go for optimal aero ("no compromise" say Honda) and if this causes reliability issues, bam, you've got an excuse to change the engine.

I'd suggest this kind of philosophy is going to be adopted across the grid, and that's why this year we're seeing tiny sidepods on every car so far.

poolboy67

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Why is the floor visible trough the hole in the nose?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8hTbUdCQAIhtV4.jpg
hmm 3 holes in the nose, 3 ducts for cooling... half life 3 confirmed?
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

frosty125
frosty125

Crash structure slightly sticking out of the sidepods?

Polemik
Polemik

Congratulations ! This is the second-best looking car ... behind the Williams FW37 :D

Nose looks too long and conservative #-o.
But the sidepods looks pretty tight :o - can you fit the engine in there comrades ?? #-o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We'll see :wink:

f1motta
f1motta

Set of 47 [good quality] shots new McLaren MP4-30 - http://www.f1talks.pl/2015/01/29/prezen ... ena-mp4-30

GoranF1
GoranF1

poolboy67 wrote:
ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Why is the floor visible trough the hole in the nose?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8hTbUdCQAIhtV4.jpg
hmm 3 holes in the nose, 3 ducts for cooling... half life 3 confirmed?

not sure what you mean there(i am more than 40 ;) ) but could it be that this nose is just a vanity panel for presentation?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

KingHamilton01

So clear to see already on Sunday at first test we could see:-

1) a different nose
2) different suspension(mushroom)
3) rear wing pylon
4) enlarged exit area at the rear of the car for cooling
5) a more obvious S-duct
6) a monkey seat that is a lot different than what we have seen before, hence why team has choosen to hide it?

I am just speculating, but I am interested to hear people's idea's on what is being hidden or possibly still in development and will come later to the car.
McLaren Mercedes

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Very encouraged by the initial shots but as mentioned there's a lot of this car to be revealed yet! Superb back end and total departure from previous cars. Beautiful coke bottle and amazed by the packaging. If it really does roll out like this, cooling OK it's really very exciting.

Certainly the best looking nose job. Hope that is retained but fairly sure, as others, that this is smoke and mirrors.

Very interested to see what they'll do with that large nose panel. Obviously S duct related.

They appear to be holding cards very close to the chest.

Can someone enlighten me to rear wing top element serrated front edge? Has this been seem before?